SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do police departments use big heavy Harley’s?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do police departments use big heavy Harley’s? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Seems to me that a dual sport or an adventure bike would be much better suited for the task. More maneuverable, faster, able to take on different road and off road conditions better. Likely more reliable as well. Something like the new Honda Africa Twin seems like it would do the trick. The fact that it can be had in a dual clutch automatic is also a plus for slow traffic conditions.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Because the big, fat, lazy motor officers in my agency can't get their big fat legs up and over that high.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Our sheriffs dept went from Harleys to BMW R1200 RT's a couple years ago and they love them, especially the heated seats and grips on those colder days.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's a size and intimidation thing. There's little mistaking that it's a bike cop when you see them going by. What's in your picture makes sense if he's going to have to chase someone on a beach or down some bog road or something, but your average highway officer won't need that capability.

Fun anecdote: A few years ago, I got stuck behind some 20+ patched Bandidos and a contributor group hogging the HOV lane and hanging over the solid line into the last left lane. They made it clear with some wobbling and some hand gestures that they wanted to people stay well clear. We crested a hill and just over the rise was a State Patrolman with his huge Harley parked next to him running radar. He was a big black guy who looked like the bike would've sunk a good foot down when he sat on it, NFL lineback big. He dropped the radar gun and twisted his head around and just dead-glared the whole group as they slowed from 70+ down to 60 in about thirty feet, and continued to mean-mug them through his bike helmet as they passed. I laughed for miles following those fuckers to work. They never did get going faster and they decided to keep their clown show in one lane.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
In Brazil they use dual sports and they are damn hard to get away from. In my neck of the woods they recently switched to BMW. I read recently that Virginia State Police also made the switch to BMW as well, there were a lot of sad/angry HD fans in the Virginian pilots comments section to that article.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harley leases them to agencies cheap and then resells them at lease end. I'm not sure if any other motorcycle company does this, but Harley allegedly makes it worth their while.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
Because the big, fat, lazy motor officers in my agency can't get their big fat legs up and over that high.

Lol Big Grin

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I worked for a local Chevrolet dealer when in college.
We had on-site fuel (gas) but not diesel. So I'd have to take the diesel trucks to a local station to add fuel to them on delivery.

Got to talking with a few city officers that were on brand new Honda ST1300s. They much preferred them to the Harleys that the county officers were still using.

Their impressions were that the Hondas were faster, handled better, quieter & a lot more comfortable.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Police agencies around here lease Police model BMW, Victory, Honda ST1300 or HD Police model.

Whatever contract seems the best, eh?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A motor cop told me that a Harley cop bike can be set up to push a disabled car. Never seen it done.
If you want to see some impressive cop bike skills, there are YT videos of German and English cops on the BMW cop bikes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I truly believe that. When do you ever see a cop on a motorcycle that isn't grossly obese? I wish they had fitness and body composition standards like we do in the Army.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
...Honda ST1300s. They much preferred them to the Harleys that the county officers were still using.

Their impressions were that the Hondas were faster, handled better, quieter & a lot more comfortable.

As an ST1300 rider I agree. Smile

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23485 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it's a size and intimidation thing.

I kind of doubt that anyone in a 4 wheeled vehicle is really intimidated by the size of any motorcycle.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
quote:

When do you ever see a cop on a motorcycle that isn't grossly obese?

I have seen several motorcycle policemen in our town; none are overweight/obese. You're painting with a very broad brush.

Posts: 9050 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Police departments are tough to change. We get stuck in tradition. My Agency has been trying to get rid of the Harleys for the last five years. Resistance from city council, administration, and even citizens. After all so many citizens ride Harleys why do the police need something different? Ponch and John seemed happy with the big street cruiser.

Once the Utah highway patrol made the change the BMW's we did so as well.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
The main reason my old agency is still with HD is because the local HD dealer provides them free of charge. They trade the entire line in periodically, but I done remember how often. They still sell those used bikes st a profit.

I will ask a buddy and see if the other part of the deal is that the agency pay parts and maintenance. Even so, it is a good deal.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
We get stuck in tradition.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Philly uses both. The dirt bikes are bad ass and are used to patrol the (obviously)wooded areas.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
quote:

I truly believe that. When do you ever see a cop on a motorcycle that isn't grossly obese? I wish they had fitness and body composition standards like we do in the Army.

Come to Memphis. Stop by Motors and ask for Big Keith. He demonstrates how to lift a downed bike by picking his up like a BMX. Don't see any particularly out of shape guys in our Motors unit, but from what I hear we have the hardest Motors course in the country. We briefly went from Harley to another maker. They didn't hold up and we're back to Harley. A few neighboring agencies have gone to Honda and BMW and say good things about the bikes.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post