SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cast Iron Skillet vs. 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Iron Skillet vs. 9mm Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
What kinds of grease are the skillets seasoned with?

OMG, seasoning! I bet that would make all the difference.

Used to be TW25B, but now it's Lucas "Extreme Duty". The extra thickness helps bullet resistance. And great for deep frying.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The real question is would you prefer a single shot of 9mm to getting hit upside the head with a 4lb skillet.

Say 28,000 grains x 40-50mph swing.....seems like a solid 340-360 ft lbs upside yer Melon. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
Interesting video. I guess I will stop wearing my skillet to the mall.

So that was you I saw at the mall the other day! Nice skillet! Big Grin

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe that we are being asked to render an opinion without knowing the necessary details that all gun persons require:

1. Target load or p or +p
2. Bullet composition
3. Wadcutter, round nose, hollow-point
4. Length of gun barrel
5. Ambient temperature and wind velocity
6. Diameter of skillet
7. USA or China skillet
8. Drunk me or sober me

Nevertheless, drunk me says hold my beer - sober me says not in this lifetime!

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
I cannot believe that we are being asked to render an opinion without knowing the necessary details that all gun persons require:

1. Target load or p or +p
2. Bullet composition
3. Wadcutter, round nose, hollow-point
4. Length of gun barrel
5. Ambient temperature and wind velocity
6. Diameter of skillet
7. USA or China skillet
8. Drunk me or sober me

Nevertheless, drunk me says hold my beer - sober me says not in this lifetime!

The details do not matter!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Solved!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Boy, you guys have a weird definition of "don't spoil it for others". Roll Eyes

That is the video that PeteF posted earlier, but note that it is not a Lodge pan. Very important!

Anyways, 5 more votes and we'll call it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
And the answer is: ✅ No. It'd punch a hole straight through.

The majority of you got this. Good job. Here's the video using the specified Lodge pan:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'll be damned. I expected it to be severely dented, not holes punched clean through. However, cast iron is brittle. Put up the same thickness of steel and the results would be a lot different.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Put up the same thickness of steel and the results would be a lot different.

Likely different, but maybe not a whole lot different. And there are many grades of steel.

Anyone with a reasonable amount of time with guns and steel targets will use some form of abrasion resistant steel. A minimum of AR400 for pistol targets -- for bullets that are subsonic, or not a whole lot faster than Mach 1. Rifle targets need AR500, although AR400 can be used for targets way, way out there. Furthermore, the AR steel's thickness must be matched to the bullet's energy on impact, to delay the steel's cupping due to energy absorbed during impact.

And then there's the issue of bullet material. Lead spreads out quickly upon impact against hardened steel. It makes a nice splash, but doesn't damage AR steel -- if velocity and steel thickness are matched to the target.

Solid copper bullets can do a bunch more damage to steel, as compared to lead core bullets with a thin copper jacket.

Bullets with steel tips or cores can slice right through AR steel, if the bullet's velocity is high enough.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Bald1 would probably suggest that his Stargazer cast iron pan would stop the bullet better than a Lodge would. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Bald1 would probably suggest that his Stargazer cast iron pan would stop the bullet better than a Lodge would. Smile

lolololololololololololololololololol

Smartass! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post