SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you posting a thread?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you posting a thread? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Why are you posting that thread? Do you have a question? Are you declaring something? What is your goal with the thread you are posting?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD use the title of your thread to accurately describe why you are posting your thread.

If you can't take the time to formulate a title that describes why anyone should bother clicking on your thread, it is by default an inane and trivial waste of time and should be ignored.

Would you like responses to your thread that are accurate and relevant? The better you do at choosing a title, will help in tailoring those responses.

Seriously guys.

I know you aren't all mono or duosyllabic morons. Please make the effort to form a coherent title to your thread.

The discussion board is an increasingly antiquated format, I get it. This isn't Twatter or Faceballs.

If you're going to bother posting, bother posting. You're wasting everyone's time with vague, or overly general titles.

A thread title is meant as a summary of the contents of an OP. If you have a question about a P226, the thread title should contain a concise version of your question. Not just "P226."

If you can't be bothered to type a phrase or sentence in the title of your thread, it probably isn't important enough for anyone else to click on or respond to.

Let's try not to devolve, as digital technology evolves.

This is only my opinion. But I'm right.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
“Faceballs” Big Grin. I’m the least clever guy I know, so I don’t try to be clever with my thread titles. Seems to get better results that way.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think you guys should make a page of rules and sticky them to the top of every subforum.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^ people would just ignore them

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I love the discussion board format.

I like clear and concise titles as well...

It just isn't that hard.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When people are oblivious to posts by the owner of this site that show up one or two below their own in a thread, why would we expect them to pay any attention to a list of rules?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Sometimes I think you guys should make a page of rules and sticky them to the top of every subforum.

If I understand Para's feeling on that correctly, it's that he feels intelligent, reasonable adults shouldn't have to be told how to behave like intelligent, reasonable adults.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Along with the title being a summary, if you are asking for advice, some details would be nice in the opening post.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

You'd get people who would ignore them, and then the people who would point to the list and go "there's not a rule against it," whatever "it" is at the time.

Naw, there are plenty of things that folks should just understand about how to operate as a decent human being on the internet.

As far as actually using the title of a thread for its intended purpose, this isn't a new "rule." It's just me pointing out that a well titled thread helps the OP get the information they seek, and it helps everyone else on the forum click into threads they're actually interested in. It is related, however, to the crackdown on vague and clickbaity titles.

Threads with poor or vague titles, are the equivalent of eating a Bertie Botts Every Flavor Jelly Bean. You have to eat it before you discover whether it's snot, or peach. Amusing in candy, not amusing in a place where the whole reason we're here is to share information.

Why waste someones time making them click into a thread to find out it's not relevant to them. Accurately describe the content of your thread in its title, and the forum as a whole benefits.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If you guys are going to type two words as the title of your thread, just skip posting, and type those two words into Google.

If you want to post a thread here, for other humans, put some effort into it.

Arc.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
How's about a one word title with a one word in the post?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1020013554

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
If you're like me you're sick to fuckin' death of click bait. This is a wonderful and welcome idea.

Hats off to para and the mods.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
How's about a one word title with a one word in the post?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1020013554

Mmm. Yeah. That's a great example of when to just not post, if that's all you're going to post. No one knows what the hell you're talking about, so people are just going to make nonsense replies to the thread until they get bored.

Make the effort guys, the board is all the better for it.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
Bump

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We had more than one drunk posting, too.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
A lot of it, IMO, are members who just want to be clever with their thread titles. Rather than informative, straight to the point to avoid wasting time of other members.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
We had more than one drunk posting, too.

I'm drunk now, how's about that?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, can you present any evidence to support your claim of drunkeness?

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Arc can vouch for me. We talked about games that were almost 30 years old, coworkers who may or may not be dykes who are kinda cute, Bernie Sanders, my new work schedule. Sorry, I don't have a breathalyzer on my video card. Probably help keep me from making an ass of myself though.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
^ But where's the fun in that? Making an ass of ourselves is one of the few guaranteed freedoms in life. I'm one of the freest sumbitches you know.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post