SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales Login/Join 
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Some good insight from Hornady and their prior dealings with Wal-Mart.

Thanks for the reminder article.

When Hornady stopped being available at the nearby Walmart counter, I ordered directly from Hornady. 38 special +. Really nice folks and repeat ordering/delivery was easy.

There was an alternative means to purchase.

That's business. I had another choice in the marketplace. And also to family run business.

Not affected by decisions made by the Waltons, the shareholders, the board, or Sally the SJW.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's awesome. I think I'll buy me some Hornady.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Some good insight from Hornady and their prior dealings with Wal-Mart.

I wasn't aware that Hornady had stopped dealing with Walmart, let alone how many years ago they made this decision.

I still support the concept, the market business model, of buying from a large retailer who is able to buy in large quantities and sell products in volume at a lower cost to its customers... but when a business starts to believe and act against the interests and freedoms of its customers, or against its business partners, then they have over-estimated their own importance and misjudged at least a large segment of their customers. I appreciated what Walmart offered in terms of low cost and convenience...but I place a greater importance on my defense and the defense of family, legal shooting recreation, and all my Constitutional rights including the 2A. Walmart's policy changes are bad enough but the fact that they are actively calling for increased gun control legislation makes it plainly clear they don't support my recreation activities or principals...and so I won't support them.

I do believe in supporting those businesses that support us so thanks for posting that Corsair! I need some more LEVERevolution ammo...Go Team Hornady!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Reading the RW interview with Jason Hornady, I think I'm going to do my damnedest to avoid Wal-Mart altogether. I'm trying to think of a product or service that I cannot get from someone else besides Wal-Mart, and nothing comes to mind. Y'know, what? SCREW those sons o' bitches. Ain't gonna be no halfway about it now. SCREW Wal-Mart and their corporate bullshit.

You're gonna lecture American gun owners with your half-assed, sorry excuse for logic, after you've profited for years from the sale of firearms and ammunition? Sanctimonious, posturing sons o' bitches. Take your Third World stores and shove 'em up your ass.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Drove past a Walmart in Delaware today and decide to take a look to see if ammo was in stock.

Despite Tul-Ammo .223 being under $4 and some ok pricing (Delaware is the home of tax free shopping after all) I left without buying anything. Drove up to the Cabelas (even though it’s not what it once was since BP took over) and bought my ammo there.

Screw Walmart.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Walmart has always been that way.

WHile on one hand, they have been good for the "middle class" (and the quotes are there for a reason) people...

On the other, they are TERRIBLE for the producers and small businesses (in multiple ways)

First off, at least much of the time, on the Walmart business model, they rely on the "volume" business model. They want to be the biggest purchaser of a product, in order to control the price.

So if you, business A, is a producer of ACME widgets, and Walmart sells your ACME widget, they get a contract with you to purchase widgets from you at $10.00 each (and sell them for $13.00 each).

Well in that contract, they say that after a year, they are gonna buy said widgets for $9.50 each, and after 2 years 9.00 each. And then 8.50 each.

They use their volume buying power to help you expand, and then help you lower your overhead. That's awesome at first, the American dream. The can undercut all other stores because while MomNPopinc can only sell 500 widgets a year, Walmart can sell 50,000 per year. So you want to sell to Walmart... But then they keep squeezing you, cause they got ya by the balls.

After they kill the competitive stores that sell the same widgets, but can't buy them for the same contract price, then they squeeze the makers for a lower price, because after all, who the else is gonna sell your widgets, cause the rest of the stores are out of business...

I get both sides of the discussion. GENERALLY, i try to stay out of Walmart... I go maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Maybe a bit more when i have a set agenda.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
So if you, business A, is a producer of ACME widgets, and Walmart sells your ACME widget, they get a contract with you to purchase widgets from you at $10.00 each (and sell them for $13.00 each).

Well in that contract, they say that after a year, they are gonna buy said widgets for $9.50 each, and after 2 years 9.00 each. And then 8.50 each.

The volume game is pretty simple, even WalMart is getting punched in the nuts by Amazon on this facet.

What you're leaving out, is the compliance issues that vendors have to manage with WalMart. If you do business with Walmart, you need to ship your product in the EXACT boxes they specify, with the EXACT number of items per box they specify, with the EXACT number of boxes per pallet that's specified. Those boxes are likely coming from a handful of vendors which will likely result in higher shipping costs from the factory to your facility, BTW, all the boxes need to have an RFID chip, no more warehouse person counting boxes before signing off with the delivery driver. If you're a clothing vendor, you need to have your clothing, pre-hung from the factory, using hangers to their specs, from their preferred vendor, all size labeled. Only so many items items per box, in a pre-assorted size run. You go into Walmart or, Target, there's no more staffers unpacking clothing in poly bags, pulling the folding pins and clips, steaming-out the seams, then searching for hangers; it's now open box, pull out the bundle and put it on the display rack, zero thought or, effort involved. Every-single-violation, gets dinged and a charge applied, it can get to the point where the entire cost of a purchase order is zero, as the violations are greater than the actual PO. AND the vendor bears the cost of the specific boxes, the specific RFID, the specific software needed, the specific hangers, the extra labor necessary to hang and sort those items. It's a racket.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Well okay... didn’t know that about Kroger, and personally I’m not that bothered by a company asking folks to not carry openly, especially since I believe it is in everyone’s best interest to keep it concealed... but they aren’t pulling perfectly legal products from the shelves in the interest of “safety” either! Now if they put up signs banning ANY kind of carry in their stores, then I’m gonna have a serious problem with that!!!

Thanks for the infringing. Roll Eyes
Maybe you can get police officers to cover their pistols and carry concealed?

They're not asking you to leave the gun outside, just please keep it concealed while in the store! Therefore they are NOT infringing on your right to carry!

And regarding police officers, I very seriously doubt their "rules" will apply to any LEO who is open-carrying, as they normally do!

Posts: 4589 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I was in Wally World a few weeks ago when it was after 10pm and the gf's car needed oil. I was reminded why I hadn't been there in almost a year. I spend the few extra bucks to buy things elsewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Drove past a Walmart in Delaware today and decide to take a look to see if ammo was in stock.

Despite Tul-Ammo .223 being under $4 and some ok pricing (Delaware is the home of tax free shopping after all) I left without buying anything. Drove up to the Cabelas (even though it’s not what it once was since BP took over) and bought my ammo there.

Screw Walmart.

My gf likes going to the Christiana Mall to do some shopping once in a while, if I go we always stop in Cabela's (even though I'm not as big on them since the BP buyout) since they usually have the Remington .22 ammo buckets with no sales tax.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Screw Walmart.

So WM is so concerned with safety they're still selling "evil" ammo until their stock runs out? How very noble of them. Just another example of how virtue signaling is bullshit. If they were really all that worried they would've pulled it all off the shelf after El Paso, but then they wouldn't have made any money on it...

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart stock went bye-bye as of today. Feels great to be rid of it, even though they’ll never notice.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Social score cards will be here soon.
Retailers will start offering discounts the most woke among us and will soon lead to denying service to any undesirables (gun owners, conservatives).
Since they can't legislate their will into being they will threaten, blackmail, payoff the decision makers at the large corporations to do their evil for them.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Didn’t Kmart stop selling ammo also? Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Monkey Wards did. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Never used them and first time seeing their name down here. But another pro 2nd gun and ammo store is stepping up to fill the void.

+++LINK+++

By WBKO News Staff |
Posted: Wed 1:16 PM, Sep 04, 2019

(WBKO) - One day after Walmart announced the decision to limit firearm and ammunition sales, Rural King issued a statement reaffirming a commitment to lawfully selling them.

The statement, released on Facebook, said:

"Many rural Americans are defenders and supporters of our rights and the 2nd Amendment. We at Rural King are proud to stand with these Americans to protect and defend our freedoms.

"While some retailers are bowing to pressures involving the selling of firearms, Rural King will continue to sell firearms lawfully in all our stores and online at RKGuns.com.

"Hunting, camping, fishing, and other outdoor activities are some of our most treasured traditions and are woven into the fabric of rural America, At Rural King we are dedicated to living, loving, and embracing the rural lifestyle and carrying the products our customers expect.

"We would like to thank you for shopping at Rural King and God Bless America!"

The Illinois based retailer, founded in 1960, specializes in farm and home goods.

A Rural King location recently opened in Glasgow, Kentucky.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry if it’s been mentioned, but I can’t help but wonder if Wal-Mart will get wise to the fact that there are a lot of handguns out there that fire .22 LR and will stop selling that cartridge, too.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5163 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Got a reply today to my email to McMillon:

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your thoughts on our recent policy changes. We have a proud heritage of serving hunters, and we will still carry a range of firearms and ammunition for their needs.

We lost 24 lives within a week in our stores from gun violence. While we are realistic in knowing these changes may not stop the next mass shooting, we decided to no longer sell the ammunition that can be used in large capacity clips on military-style weapons, which we do not sell. We will focus our assortment of ammunition on the firearms we do carry.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Walmart Executive Communications”

Just another anonymous reply. Clearly engineered to the predicted response and absent any direct response.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Monkey Wards did. Wink
Wouldn't know--we lost all our K-Marts years ago, and I can't even remember a Ward's store in the area.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your thoughts on our recent policy changes. We have a proud heritage of serving hunters, and we will still carry a range of firearms and ammunition for their needs.

We lost 24 lives within a week in our stores from gun violence. While we are realistic in knowing these changes may not stop the next mass shooting, we decided to no longer sell the ammunition that can be used in large capacity clips on military-style weapons, which we do not sell. We will focus our assortment of ammunition on the firearms we do carry.

Sincerely,

Just another anonymous reply. Clearly engineered to the predicted response and absent any direct response.

Interestingly enough 7.62 x 51 and .308 both have rifles, short barreled rifles and magazines that hold 20 and even 30 rounds or more... so maybe they will quit selling that caliber as well.....

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:

Sincerely,

Interestingly enough 7.62 x 51 and .308 both have rifles, short barreled rifles and magazines that hold 20 and even 30 rounds or more... so maybe they will quit selling that caliber as well.....
I have a couple of 100-rd drums for my .223 guns.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post