Notify
Tools
Sleep Apnea Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
This all sounds very encouraging. Thanks.

Will the doctor prescribe a certain machine and mask, or will he just give you a prescription and let you choose which machine to get?
Your doc will give you a prescription for durable medical supplies (CPAP, humidifier, mask, hose, filters, etc).

You'll have to work with a durable medical supplier on your insurance company's approved list (it may or may not be the same business as your sleep doctor).

Once they have you set-up right and you're comfortable, I suggest switching to on-line store like CPAP.com since IME it's even less out of pocket money.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I wish I had started a lot sooner and not resisted using it
That said, perhaps I'm atypical, but I had no learning curve. Was comfortable the first night, unlike during my sleep study, so i guess it was choosing the right mast first time. I;m using a Dreamwear, where the hose comes off the top of your head, so I can sleep in any position, and it barely feels like I'm wearing one.

I just purchased my gear outright. It was still cheaper than going through insurance.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, the science supporting CPAP/BiPap/AutoPap is pretty solid.
With America getting older and fatter ( and probably sicker) , I expect to see more and technical improvements in this technology !

PS: There is a SigForum member who's actually in the business of selling these gadgets.

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Report This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I have Central sleep apnea. Central sleep apneaoccurs because your brain doesn't send proper signals to the muscles that control your breathing. This condition is different from obstructive sleep apnea, in which you can't breathe normally because of upper airway obstruction. Central sleep apnea is less common than obstructive sleep apnea.

Echoing comments above. Make sure you get a good fit on the mask. It should not be super tight.

No more waking up hourly feeling like I needed to pee.

I found a interesting product to battle leaks other than lowering the ramped up pressure called RemZzzs. A cotton like gasket between your face and pillow. Expensive as a 30 day supply is $29.95 and not covered. You can get a free week supply by going to their site. I am washing them out every night and so far can use one for a week. It's looks like cotton T Shirt material. Amazing and very nice feel vs the raw pillow.

3 years and I wont sleep without it.

I visited some friends that smoke indoors and that was a huge mistake - took a week to get the smell out - Not if we visit them I go without.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Report This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with a sleep apnea oral appliance? It supposedly moves the jaw forward which increases the size of the airway.

Mrs 12GA would like me to investigate acquiring one. Frown

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Report This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 5th day with a cpap. Getting used to it ok. I am sleeping great now. Also down from 200 plus episodes a night to 40ish. The therapist that brought it to me had 5 or 6 different models of mask to try to get a good fit. Mine is auto adjust for the air speed and has a built in start level that helps you fall asleep before it kicks in fully.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Report This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Been on one for several years now. The first machine I had was real old technology and noisy as hell. I took to sleeping with my shooting muffs on and discovered two things. First, blocking out the noise of the machine made it easier to use and second the muffs sort of gave me my own private little world where I could relax better. That old machine is long gone and the one I have now is so quiet that you have to be right over it to hear it run but I still use the muffs.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
One other thing I should have adddd.

If y'all haven't you should download sleepyhead app to PC, get an SD card for your machine and upload data. Much insight available that way! Far more than the ResMed dashboard for instance.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post