SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I exchange 130v incandescent bulbs for an existing 120v volt incandescent bulbs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I exchange 130v incandescent bulbs for an existing 120v volt incandescent bulbs Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
What is the difference between 120v incandescent bulbs and 130v incandescent bulb?
I am looking on Amazon for 120v, g25, 40 watt light bulbs.
I noticed a 6 pack (130v) for the same price as a 4 pack (120v).

On the 130v pack it says, This product is designed for 130v. When used on the normal line voltage of 120v, bulb life is noticeably increased but the efficiency and light output are reduced.

So is it a good idea to use them on a fixture to replace a burnt out bulb (120v) or should I change all the bulbs to 130v.

Thanks

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Yes, it will likely last a little longer and burn slightly dimmer than the 120V bulb

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8917 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^ agree
But why not get a screw-in LED replacement with a good CRI number?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^ agree
But why not get a screw-in LED replacement?

The fixture has four bulbs and only one is burnt out. We also have a few different fixtures in the house that take the same bulb.
I guess I am still old school, and also I am not ready to spend a lot of money to convert fixtures just yet when there are still incandescent bulbs available.
I guess more than anything else I am just cheep.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Being as your line voltage is probably 125VAC, anyway, 4% either way will probably not make a noticeable difference in either brightness or longevity. Buy whichever ones suits your fancy, flip a coin, whatever.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
120V here in NH according to my Fluke 179 True RMS Multimeter

In my experience 130V bulbs are generally intended for commercial/industrial use, and per an Electrician friend of mine they usually last longer as well.

That said, you'll probably be able to tell the difference if you replace only one, so plan on changing them all if that's gonna bother you...Just sayin' Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8917 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Almost 20 ago, a kind fellow suggested to me that I buy 130V bulbs for my garage door opener, as they're "more durable and will last longer."

I bought a 10-pack. I still have seven. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13506 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
quote:
^^^^ agree

The fixture has four bulbs and only one is burnt out. We also have a few different fixtures in the house that take the same bulb.
I guess I am still old school, and also I am not ready to spend a lot of money to convert fixtures just yet when there are still incandescent bulbs available.

You don’t have to convert fixtures. Just screw that LED bulb into your existing fixture to replace the dead bulb. The remaining incandescent bulbs will happily co-exist with it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
^^^^ agree

You don’t have to convert fixtures. Just screw that LED bulb into your existing fixture to replace the dead bulb. The remaining incandescent bulbs will happily co-exist with it.

unless the incandescents produce heat which the LED bulbs don't like. Especially in closed fixtures.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
^^^^ agree

Thanks.
After I typed it out I actually thought the same thing Big Grin
I know at some point there will not be anymore incandescent bulbs left in the US Frown I am just trying to hold out as long as I can Wink

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
I've replaced nearly everything with LED's .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LED bulbs can be inexpensive, you can also get them with wifi capability, now why is that good, well, Costco sell FEIT wifi LED bulbs that not only color change, but have the ability to be setup on a schedule. You get 4 bulbs for $29, yeah it's more than a 40 watt incandescent but it does more.

We have them outside in the fixtures, I can set the on off times, dusk dawn etc, we just leave the switch on and the innerweb app thing does the rest, ANd on Halloween we can put up orange lights, red green and blue for christmas for grandkids.

Inside we run them in bedroom, family and living room, so I can have them on just before Dusk and off at midnight every day, or whatever schedule, with time changes its nice to come home to a lit home when it's dark.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Don't do it...Stick w/ the Incandescent Bulbs! Here's why...

40W Incandescent: 2850K and CRI (Color Rendering Index) of 100
40W LED: 2700K and a CRI of 80

The G25 Bulbs are decorative and typically, (though not always) used in vanity fixtures where you (and especially you wife!) would usually expect really good light! 2700K means a dimmer duller, more yellowish light and a CRI of 80 will look like shit! Crappier light for at least twice the price, and likely no increased life either!

Unfortunately those selling Incandescent Light Bulbs are kinda price gouging now because supply is very low. You're typically paying double what you used to be able to get the for which means the Incandescent Bulbs should cost about 1/4 of the LED Bulb price.

Live Free or Die!

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
^^^^ agree

Don't get 130v lamps then. They will be slightly warmer and noticably dimmer.

Their use was for harsher conditions or for eliminating dimmer noise.

It won't hurt anything at all and the bulbs will last much longer.

If you do do it. Replace all lamps with same voltage lamps, then take the used removed working lamps and reserve for use in the other fixtures that already have matching lamps.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I was ultra-anti LED bulbs at first (because they were hideous rubbish), so I get your feelings. I've changed my tune with the newest ones. They are very nice now. In fact, they are so tunable, they will be whatever you ask of them. Any color, hue, brightness.

They are more expensive, yes, but in my house, I run lights day and night (dark house, I live in the woods). Given that, I run through incandescent bulbs multiple times per year. So I think the longevity will make up for it.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall the higher voltage bulbs being used in traffic lights and railroad signals that are used in flashing type warnings which are considered severe duty due to the on/off cycles. In the factory we did sometimes use them in places that were very difficult to reach to extend lifetime between replacement.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question. When replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's, do you need to pay attention to heat? Or just stay within the wattage rating of your fixture and not worry about the heat?

LED's do get hot, not the "bulb" part, but the plastic base gets hot.

So, if I have a 60 watt rated fixture (LED equivalent is about 8 watts), can I put in a 13 watt LED bulb (equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent) without worrying about excess heat?

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's basically a piece of wire that glows from the current flowing through it. Saying it's a 40 watt bulb at 130 V tells me they didn't have enough space to put in enough wire to draw 40 watts of power at 120V or that they intentionally did not put enough wire to draw 40 watts of power of 120 V in order to lessen costs. Yes, some companies are thrilled to get one cent or two cent savings per unit.

They give the rating of 40 watts at 130 V because it's easier to market the standard 40 watt rating than 37.6 Watt or whatever the value should be at 120 V.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
Question. When replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's, do you need to pay attention to heat? Or just stay within the wattage rating of your fixture and not worry about the heat?

LED's do get hot, not the "bulb" part, but the plastic base gets hot.

So, if I have a 60 watt rated fixture (LED equivalent is about 8 watts), can I put in a 13 watt LED bulb (equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent) without worrying about excess heat?

Same question I had and I claim no expertise on this point.

I figure the wattage temperature on the fixture was actual wattage. So I went with the actual wattage of the LED and not it's equivalent wattage which is given for the amount of light you can expect from it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Old school over one of our public pools we had 40 400W incandescent bulbs. We graduated to 14 400W HP Sodium lamps. Then 12 T5 florescent fixtures. Finally Led tubes, by far the best.
Ballasts were a major pain too
In rooms the incandescent lasted months at best. T12 lamps somewhat better. T8 better yet. LED best ever.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post