SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I got a buck tag for this year's general season hunt - first timer!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got a buck tag for this year's general season hunt - first timer! Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
I grew up on stories from my dad and uncles of their days fishing, hunting, and trapping across Idaho, Oregon and Utah. It's how my Grandpa and generations before put food on the table during times of low-income and other struggles. But my dad became the first college grad and PhD of the family and became a computer software engineer in the RTP of NC, where I grew up. We did a fair amount of fishing, but the hunting stayed in stories, and even though we've returned to the west, time is running out to do much else with my dad, with my health, scheduling, and the miles between us (he's back in Idaho, and I'm here in Utah).

But I've grown up with a great respect for hunting, nature, and the big game animals out there in the woods and plains. Last year, I decided if it was ever going to happen, I had to start somewhere, so I finally got around to it all and then didn't draw a tag. Utah doesn't sell any tags over the counter (except maybe spike elk? It's been a while since I was in a job that sold tags, so don't quote me on that.)

But this year, I was pleasantly surprised to end up drawing my first choice, first-ever deer tag in the Wasatch East general deer hunt. I've talked to several friends who are hunters, and I've gotten a lot of tips and pointers, including a good spot to go, even.

For those who know Utah, the Wastach East hunting area is the center full circle in blue on this map:

Lots of land, lots of roads, and 2549 other hunters with tags for the area. Any advice, tips, and tricks for hunting are welcome! Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome man! Hunting deer has been the one thing I’ve done that I really got into and loved. There’s nothing like being out in the woods on a cool October day. It’s the only thing you can do where you’ll be sitting in a tree or on a stump all mellow with a heartbeat of 60 and a half second later it’s at 120. I too grew up on the stories of my Dad hunting in Montana, and when I finally got to go, I was hooked! The experiences and friends I’ve made over the years are what I cherish the most. Welcome to the club brother!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Man I wish we could export those fuckers to you guys. They are a major nuisance here, you could hunt them with a pistol there are so many of them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Da Tirty Point Buck!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats, should be wonderful Mule deer habitat. How many tags are issued for that unit? How long of a hunt is it?
What caliber do you plan to hunt with?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting drawn. This will be my 3rd year hunting and I'll be hunting the chalk creek-east canyon area north of you for archery season.
Nothing helps more than getting familiar with the area. Start scouting it now. Drive the roads, hike as much as you can and look for the deer trails, and watering holes. The On X hunt app is really helpful for knowing boundaries and private properties in the area.
Good luck and have fun!

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Congrats, should be wonderful Mule deer habitat. How many tags are issued for that unit? How long of a hunt is it?
What caliber do you plan to hunt with?

2550 tags for that region. oct 17-25th is general deer, and i'll be using my Browning X-Bolt in 308 win.

quote:
The On X hunt app is really helpful for knowing boundaries and private properties in the area.
Good luck and have fun!

Thank you! I plan on getting the On X app, too. I've heard great things about that app. I'm probably headed up there to scout it out this Sunday - supposed to be sunny and near 60 up there in the hills, so it should be a great day.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Man I wish we could export those fuckers to you guys. They are a major nuisance here, you could hunt them with a pistol there are so many of them.

Theyre kinda like that in the Highland/Alpine city limits in Utah here, and I've heard the cities even contract with the owners/employees local bow shop to hunt them in city limits with certain restrictions, just to help control the numbers. but I've had some massive ones right in my back yard, like this boy from 8 or 9 years ago:

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
So why the lottery if they are so prevalent?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on getting your tag. I know how much it will mean to you to carry on the family tradition.

As far as Jesse’s comments in Virginia he’s absolutely right. The last time I looked there were over a million deer in VA with almost 200,000 being taken annually. In our little rural street they are out of control. So much so that I was able to get a nuisance permit for the last 30 days and my friends ended up getting 26 does. Every one of them was pregnant, most with twins. They literally eat anything in sight...
Hopefully our garden will survive this year..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

If you haven't already, get a good pair of 10x binoculars. Break in your boots. Practice shooting from awkward positions and at elevation changes, if you can.

And though that style of hunting is very different from what we do here in Georgia, one thing is universal... watch the wind and learn to use it to your advantage.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Might want to look into a good bi-pod or tripod as well, spring loaded would be a good thing.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Try not to shoot a buck that’s wearing a saddle. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Congratulations. Try not to shoot a buck that’s wearing a saddle. Big Grin

Or a brand. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We have so many deer in Texas that there is no lottery system. Our deer run small, but everyone can shoot several of them. Some counties have minimum antler sizes for bucks, but not all do.

Good luck in your hunt.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If knowing property boundaries is an issue(less so with big blocks) look into the ‘On-X-Hunt’ app. You can have a 7 day trial period, zoom & screen shot to save.

Get to a vantage point over good cover with any wind in your favor. Some elevation, looking down, is favorable.

Try to use other Hunter activity to your favor.

I’d try to get a scouting trip in before the hunt. It’s nice to know exactly when you want to sit(mostly) on opening day. Of course have a few spots in mind.

I have a prairie dog trip planned in June, have gone to CO Elk hunting. I have done a lot of scouting on Google Earth. It’s almost as good as scouting in person.

Did you mention a buddy or helper, should you bag one? Favorite gun & ammo figured out yet?

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got a great area for your hunt, but the only advice I'd give is to get and use the "onX Hunt" application (so you'll be sure of your location), get a decent spotting scope (to deal with the big country you'll be in), and to scout, scout, and scout some more. If you find and pattern the buck you're hoping to harvest, your chances of success will go up exponentially.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice, guys! I have a good pair of binoculars and a camera I'm going to take up to the area with me this Sunday to have a look around. I'll get the On-X before I head up there, as well, to try to learn how to best utilize that.