SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Poll for Retired Folks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Poll for Retired Folks Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I don’t do anything before 10AM, and whatever I do is completed by 2PM.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2700 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My alarm goes off at 5:42 AM and I'm in my office by 7:00 AM Monday to Thursday. Leave at 12:00 noon and have the rest of the day free for whatever. Yeah, I still am working. I have no idea what I would do with every day off.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I’m flexible. I’ve been retired 12 years, this last time. If there’s no pressing need and the damn CPAP isn’t smothering me, I’ll be up by 7am. I get some small things done until just about 10, then start cooking our meal for the day. By noon, I’m free to do whatever I choose to do. About 9:30, me and the dogs have done it for the day and it’s wind down time with bed about 10pm.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I have been retired for 15 months. I get up between 5:30 and 7, have my cup of coffee while catching up on the world. Sometime between then and 5 PM I do any or all of the following: lift weights, ride bike, work around the house, hike, and or play a round of disc golf or disc golf fieldwork. Around 5 PM I study languages (currently Spanish). At 6:30 I cook dinner, usually with my wife but sometimes I am the master chef.

Weekends I shoot skeet, teach skeet, conduct safety briefings at my club or work on the ranges. I am a director at my club so a few meetings a month and time spent in between.

Use it or lose it.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 719 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We've been retired 6 months so our new routines are still developing. Currently in the morning we enjoy a lazy cup of coffee in bed watching nature. Then we read emails and do a little web surfing. The rest of the morning is pretty productive. Usually in the afternoon we are about 50% productive and 50% fun.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morning. Drives me insane that I can’t get out and shop and take care of most of my business at 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. Hate having to wait until 9:00 or 10:00 when I have been up since 4:00 or shortly thereafter.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Night person. Almost all my adult work life was night shift with a couple of miserable years of day shift thrown in but given a choice, nights will win every time.

Posts: 7315 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I worked a rotating schedule for most of my 32 year career. I worked around the clock and around the calendar, so, I just go with the flow.

Some days I wake up early (somewhere between 0630 and 9 am) and some days I get up later (never later than 12 noon). Unless I have an appointment, no alarms to wake me up. I am retired, so no need for that shit.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m usually up around 6 and (almost) never later than 7.

Try to be in bed by 9:30 pm. I do my best with an early start.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10942 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've only been retired for 12 years now. I get up when my bladder tells me to. Then go back to bed when the sun gets in my eyes. I have nothing to do and like it that way. If I die tomorrow, I've lived a full life. My main function in life is to be my puppies chew toy. Wish he'd grow out of it.

Except for guns, we've saved our money. I allocate myself $1000 a month to waste. I do a pretty good job of it. Take my wife out to eat once a day. With that bastard in the white house, I may not be able to afford it much longer.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've been retired for 9 years now & I get up somewhere between 6 & 7. I try to get whatever needs done, including our two hour walk, done before lunch.

If I have a home improvement or outdoor project to do, then I'm obsessed with it & keep at it until it's done. But my wife tells me I've always been like that.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Always have been a night owl.
My perfect sleep schedule is 0200-1000.
I can force myself to adopt the “early to bed, early to rise” only if there is a tee time involved or a road trip.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
4-9; roughly

4 to 9 ... am or pm. Details matter. Just sayin'.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Three old men were sitting around talking.

One old man said, "Every morning I get up at 7:30a and have a healthy piss."

"Heck, that's nothing, " said the second old man, "Every morning at 8:30a I have to take a healthy shit and a piss".

The third old man said, "Every morning at 7:30a I piss like a racehorse, and at 8:30a I shit like a pig. The trouble with me is, I don't wake up till 11:00a."

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've always been an early riser, but now retired and in AZ, I'm even earlier. I get up around 1am-2am, loving the outside air and night sounds at that time. I get my Internet surfing done on the front porch, and still have early morning time for outside chores, before it starts to get hot. If necessary, I wear a headlamp outside.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
The evidence is overwhelming here, a night person. I am somehow wired to enjoy a casual morning and gradually work towards completing my tasks by early evening.

Drives my girl completely bonkers.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm planning (or was) to retire at the end of the year. After 8 years active duty and nearly 35 years in the oil bidness, I'm ready to step away. My wife retired 6 years ago (teacher). She is in bed by 11 and sleeps to 7. Seems like a reasonable schedule to me. I'll probably do that when I retire.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Night person . . .

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marlin Fan:
Night person . . .
I hear you. Unfortunately, our culture is oriented to the "early to bed and early to rise" practice. We "night persons" are considered to be lazy and unproductive. (Well, we tend to be "unproductive" in the early hours of the day, but that doesn't mean we are lazy or failing to do our jobs.) I sometimes convinced my boss(es) that having someone in the office in the early evening was a good idea and was able to adjust my work schedule.

Anecdote. After I retired from USAF, 2 of my former bosses came to Dallas and I had lunch with them. The senior one (LtCol) asked me if my current boss was as flexible to allow me to have later work hours. The other (Captain) just choked ans said: "With Dave it's more like 'malliable'."

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The joke a few posts up reminded me of another old geezer joke.

1st old man: Sure is windy today!

2nd old man: It's not Wednesday, it's Thursday!

3rd old man: Thirsty? I'm thirsty too, let's go get a cold beer! And something to look at! Let's go to Hooters!

(We are men, we are what we are, and we want a cold beer and something nice to look at, but we don't want to go get our hearing checked)

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post