SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick question for the electricians
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick question for the electricians Login/Join 
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
210.A only applies if the 240 volt range receptacle is within 6' of the sink edge.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, you're right. I guess it all depends on how far that outlet will be from the sink, which I don't think the OP specified. How that is measured has also changed this last cycle. Or in 2017, IIRC, and clarified this last go round.

I agree with PASig. I think requiring GFCI on a plug that is tucked behind a range down by the floor is somewhat stupid. I suppose someone could pull the range out and use the plug for something, but how likely is that?

We did have a kid here in town get killed by a dryer plug awhile back. He was reaching behind the dryer to get a ball, and the terminal plate was missing. He stuck his hand on the contacts and was zapped. A GFCI would have saved him. My prediction is that in the future, they will want GFCI for all ranges regardless of proximity to the sink. The plug could be greater than 1.8m away, but the range itself could be closer. Some ranges have 110v outlets on them, especially older appliances, and under the current code would be unprotected with it right next to a sink.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I've got an electrician coming over to do the work. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I value my life Smile

Thanks everyone

If it doesn't work out, let me know. I will gladly pop up to Highland (from Spanish Fork) and do it for you this Saturday.

quote:
If you are replacing with a traditional range that is cooktop/oven, I would remove this whip from that box (SHUT THE BREAKER OFF!!!) and replace the receptacle with either a 3-wire or 4-wire range receptacle depending on how your wiring is set up and the appropriate range cord:

Be advised that if you do this, the 2020 NEC (see article 210.8(A)) requires that the circuit be CFCI protected, which will require you to replace the breaker at around $100 for that breaker. Basically, the code was changed to include all receptacles that are 120-250v with single phase voltage of 150v or less to ground. IOW, your 240v receptacles (dryer,range, or electric WH). However, if you leave it hardwired as pictured, you do not need CFCI protection because the code only requires receptacles to be protected, not all outlets. The cheapest (and preferred, IMO) thing to do would be to leave the outlet as is, hardwired. Your electrician may point this out, or he may not, but it is the new GFCI requirement, nevertheless.

Thanks for the offer, Sigcrazy, but I found a local guy that will do the work for pretty cheap.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
Adding a cord and plug will still force you to not only make up the receptacle connection, but add a cord to the cooktop. That's fully 2 times the wiring, plus the cost of the new receptacle, cover, and a molded cord.

Art 210.8(A) does not seem to apply in this situation.

Just a thought.

How do you figure that 210.8(A) doesn’t apply?

I was referring to 210.8(A)(6) Kitchens, which addresses receptacles that are installed to serve the counter top surfaces as needing GFCI protection.
210.8(A)(7) just says 'receptacles' without being as specific as (6). There is a chance that
the Original installer chose to place his outlet box within 6' of the sink but unless you install a receptacle there, you should be good.

210.8(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (A)⁠(11) and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
(6) Kitchens — where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces

(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink.

This is from the 2020 Code.
The 2017 Code referred to 'All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles' which seems to make the intent easier to understand.
Why the change in wording for 2020? Maybe they had this kind of situation in mind.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2174 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
This is from the 2020 Code.
The 2017 Code referred to 'All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles' which seems to make the intent easier to understand.
Why the change in wording for 2020? Maybe they had this kind of situation in mind.

The change, I believe, was a clarification. The 2017 code wasn’t clear about receptacles in the cabinet under the sink, to say, serve a dishwasher or disposal. The cabinet door could be interpreted in the 2017 code to make some believe that GFCI protection was unnecessary. The 2020 code eliminated that confusion. Another instance is where a receptacle might be outside a washroom on the other side of the door, but still be within 6’ of the sink. The door is no longer considered a barrier, so protection would be necessary for that receptacle.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post