SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    truck wheels - paint or powder coat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

truck wheels - paint or powder coat? Login/Join 
posted
The wheels on my 2005 Dodge 2500 are getting a bit ratty so I'm looking to get them freshened up. They are the basic 10-hole silver-painted steel wheels and I'm going to keep them the same color, or as close to it as possible.

Is powder coating a good choice for this application, or would having them painted by a body shop be a better choice?

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I’d powder coat

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Rattle can 2K paint - you can do yourself.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
What does the rest of the truck look like?
Doors and body panels all the same color?
Any rust anywhere?
What I’m getting at is:
The wheels on my 2012 F250 that’s in good shape would get treated differently than the wheels on my 86 Bronco II that is mostly brown, but with red doors and a different colored drivers seat, and missing side mirrors from being used as an ATV....

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Painting is the easy part, the prep is the key whether powder coated or not.
If you are going to powder coat they would need to off the truck, no tires and then stripped and powder coated.
No doubt it would look great.
You can paint them while still in tires on the truck, there are even places that come out and do it professionally.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I'd go powder coat. They will scratch but are much more durable than simply painted. Only issue is down time. Removing, dealing with a no wheel vehicle for a while and then having them remounted balanced and all that involves. Might be easier to buy new wheels (or lightly used) and that could be close to the price of having all that done.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Lots of how to vids on youtube. I’ve considered doing my old jeep CJ wheels with plasti dip spray. No need to dismount tires and all that rot.

The hacks at our local tire shop will scratch hell out of a newly refinished set of wheels mounting tires on them. I don’t want to give them that opportunity.

Posts: 26920 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Might be easier to buy new wheels (or lightly used) and that could be close to the price of having all that done.

I'd be looking at that. If you're coming up on new tires I believe places like Tirerack actually mount and balance for free when you get wheels and tires together. I did that years ago on a Yukon and came out ok!

Just checked - they do still mount and balance for free, and will ship wheel/tire packages for free as well. Only issue might be if you have TPMS, but if that's not been replaced may as well just get that new as well.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12427 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Paint. Paint can be touched up. Is good if prepped well. (sandblast) All finishes scratch and ckip from wrenches, rocks, covers, beauty rings, etc. Is there rust between the center and rim? I am not a fan of powder unless the thing gets TLC

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6317 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Lots of how to vids on youtube. I’ve considered doing my old jeep CJ wheels with plasti dip spray. No need to dismount tires and all that rot.

The hacks at our local tire shop will scratch hell out of a newly refinished set of wheels mounting tires on them. I don’t want to give them that opportunity.

You're going to the wrong shop.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Plasti-dip is a viable alternative. Don't have to dismount the wheels from tires. Easy to apply. Peels off if you don't like it.
Dipyourcar.com is the place to check out colors and the process.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I did the wheels in my 67 GTO with Argent silver, with a urethane hardener. Like others have said prep is key. I have a sandblaster, so I did that part myself. Shoot the paint from a spray gun and stay away from rattle cans, IMO.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think powdercoat has very good UV resistance. I could be mistaken though.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post