SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don’t people want to work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don’t people want to work Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Millennials. They are God’s gift to me. When I started in this career, my 2nd, young bucks were always a threat. No longer. I run circles around these clowns. I’ll let work impede my social life and my family sometimes because that’s what needs to be done to keep cashing checks. They want no part of it. It’s like having an extra gear they know nothing about. So be it. Stay hungry and you’ll eat.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My wife's uncle is 65 this year. He owns a drywall & stucco business. He has 10 - 15 guys working for him. Makes real good money. He gets his hands dirty some times, but mostly does estimates and the like. He's usually on site, but supervising. He has a son who is 30 or 32 this year that works at a whole foods. He was begging his son to take over his business. He could earn 6 figures, versus the $14 - $16 per hour or so he earns at Whole Foods. Son is in no way interested.

The uncle raised 3 kids, paid off his house years ago and is willing to just give the business away to his son. He has absolutely no interest in it. He rents, barely scrapes by, can't afford to go on vacation, etc... I just don't get it.

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
I can’t wrap my head around why people are afraid of hard work. I have been in my career for 15 years and have always been hungry for more work.
I just got off the phone with my boss asking for 1 more guy to come work in Maine with me. He has nobody available. We can’t find laborers at all. Hell we have 30 openings for immediate hire, we have wiped temp agency’s dry.
I drive by 10-15 people a day begging for money. I hand them applications to my company and they get torn up.
All I need is 1 laborer. 1 guy to stuff foam in a hole for $18 an hour. Nobody wants it.
When I was growing up I was taught work ethic, hard work gets results etc. nowadays nobody wants to do a fucking thing.
Yes it’s hard work, yes we work long hours and long days, yes I expect you to show up on time with jeans and boots, yes I will push you to be better than I am. I will teach you, I will mentor you, I will train you to be the best concrete repair guy I can. But for the love of god have the will to work.

Because people give these people begging for money, far more in a day than they can make working. Every light that I see someone begging at, I see at least 2 people give them a dollar or more.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... Work started for me at 12 with a butt kicking paper route that killed a bicycle about twice a year. Then gas pumping in HS. Then USAF. Then the cops. After the cops, private security officer for an in patient hospice facility. Partner in a PI business too. Now, being fully retired feels strange.
And in HS, I not only took shop, but home econ too. Which taught me to bake.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post