SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cambridge Univ DEI professor scandal
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Cambridge Univ DEI professor scandal Login/Join 
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Why do they keep referring to him as professor? I thought he had no credible credentials to be deserving a position as professor. If so, kind of weird.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Why do they keep referring to him as professor? I thought he had no credible credentials to be deserving a position as professor. If so, kind of weird.

He was awarded a PhD back in 2015 and started teaching at a number of schools right afterwards, the chair position at Cambridge has been since 2023. Normally, professorship at a place like Cambridge goes to someone who is well published and has been around the proverbial-block a few times, Arday at age-37 really hadn't done much. Not only was he professor but a chair, a prestigious position and rank amongst his contemporaries. It was then he was hailed in the national press, given seats on various councils and boards, given honorary degrees and became a constant figure in national news and media. None of the schools have rescinded their degrees or honors.
 
Posts: 16232 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
In my last, say, 10-ish years of employment, there were many times where I thought the interviewee was not in the slightest reflective of the credentials described in the CV. There were several people of whom I thought a middle schooler would outperform the interviewee who possessed at least a BS, if not an MS degree. I didn't think degrees had the same criteria in recent years as they did when I went to uni.

DEI is not just bad. It will kill us. It celebrates bad behavior and bad decisions. Which will corrupt every industry it touches, from engineer to medicine to law, and protected by collusion.

I'm so glad I'm out of the game.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 4323 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Cambridge

Sir Isaac Newton
Charles Darwin
John Maynard Keynes
Charles Babbage
James Watson
Francis Crick
Alan Turing
Stephen Hawking
Douglas Adams

And this guy? This guy was the best they could do? Did nobody else apply for the job?

I cannot fathom how incompetent the background check was.
 
Posts: 14923 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 114935 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I realize that complaining about the press is useless... and here is another failure! The press is STiLL defending the bastard! Suddenly, his fraud and failure is the fault of, well, everyone else!

I simply do not comprehend the mind-set that elevates incompetence in the guise of DEI!

Just bitching... no solution offered!


No quarter
.308/.223
 
Posts: 2621 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
‘Amnesty International has truly lost the plot. It is promoting a so-called “Arday's law” which would to impose state-mandated limits on press coverage of one person.’

The British will swallow that hook, line, and sinker.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11792 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, this fits perfectly into the British wheelhouse. (as well as other places like Australia and Canada)
 
Posts: 5559 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Amnesty lost the plot/course long ago when it stopped viewing human rights through an objective lens but through an ideological one, picking-sides and attempting to frame one cause over the other irregardless of security issues. Then there's the payouts to former employees to hush-up about its internal problems... In many ways, Amnesty being a UK based organization, resembles the rot and corruption that, that country's higher-educational institutions has been exposed, a mirror image of ideological compliance over competence
 
Posts: 16232 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://x.com/thedarkhorsepod/.../2091259850487722230

Bret Weinstein:

BRET: Can I say something terrible that I think is true, but it's just awful?

He was Cambridge's mascot. He was like a pet. He was like somebody they could trot out and bring to dinners and he would do tricks for them. And the point is, your pet has certain expectations, right? They were treating him in this way because he was doing something for them. And so he was reaping the rewards from doing what he had been asked to do. And I do think that's a freaking tragedy.

HEATHER: I agree, that is a tragedy. I think you're right, it does sound horrible. And I think you're right — he was effectively their mascot. He was effectively their pet. But he was also a man. He was also a human being.

BRET: But my point is, the men we admire get there through a route that punishes them for doing the wrong thing, for taking the shortcut, for being cowardly, whatever it is, and rewards them when they delay gratification and they invest in something and they tough it out and all of the things that turn you into a man. And if you create the developmental environment that does the inverse of this, you will get the inverse.

 
Posts: 114935 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I studied in Jason Arday’s department at Cambridge. Here’s the crap I was taught.
quote:
I studied in the academic department at Cambridge that later employed Jason Arday. My degree was in ‘Politics, Psychology and Sociology’, and one of my papers was on the Sociology of Education. Arday became a professor of Sociology of Education a few years after I left.

I want to give a few examples of the scale of progressive ideological capture even then, pre-Peak Woke, in 2012 (when I graduated). As well as to try to illustrate the sheer intellectual bankruptcy of so much of what gets passed off as chin-rubbingly profound academic scholarship at some of the most elite educational institutions in the world.

Where to begin?

For one module, I wrote a lengthy essay about how cultural products like kids’ cartoons and jazz songs serve as instruments of capitalist oppression. I got a top mark on that paper (despite knowing at the time that I was essentially regurgitating complete crap).

While studying for another paper I had a debate with the professor, an eminent anthropologist, because she insisted that native tribes could fly through the trees - not metaphorically, but that they could literally fly because they believed they could fly. After all, who are we to question ‘indigenous ways of knowing’...

For a different course, I read long ‘research papers’ which argued that the fact that black kids are excluded from schools more than white kids proves systemic racism exists in education. Crucially, they ignored the fact that white kids are excluded more than, e.g., Japanese kids, a statistic which, applying the exact same logic, would suggest that the education system is systemically biased in favour of, erm, Japanese kids (which obviously it isn’t).

Something that was held up as proof of the existence of this largely imaginary racism was that teachers tell kids not to use booming voices in the classroom, and not to put up their hoods or wear their trousers down below their pants.

On another occasion, my supervisor casually praised some students agitators who were trying to shut down a talk by someone they disagreed with. I said that I didn’t think this was something to celebrate, because I believed in freedom of speech. He got visibly angry, and proceeded to tell me that free speech was not worth protecting in a capitalist system (or something along those lines).

In my all-important final year, a lecturer let me know that I shouldn’t worry too much about my exam results, because as someone who was not from an upper class background I should be more focussed on using my grasp of leftist revolutionary theory to further the interests of the proletariat. Writing this down, it strikes me that it’s so hilariously mental that some of you will presumably assume I’m lying. But there’s no way I’m leaving it out, because it happened.

I could give many more examples.

I should make clear at this stage that while this article is about my experience at Cambridge specifically, the same culture and beliefs are being pushed throughout academia (and beyond). For a far more detailed look at how and why, please(!) read my essay on that subject, ‘How academia launders activism’.

It’s also worth pointing out that we weren’t just studying complete shite, we were learning to dress that shite up in the most pretentious language imaginable - a prerequisite for a career as an academic in these fields. I still have some of my old essays (if you search hard enough, you can find them on the internet1), so I’ll give you a quote from one of them to show you what I mean. I got a high first for this one:

‘Bourdieu saw that to understand a work of art, we must look not only at the piece of art itself, but rather at the conditions of its production and reception, the specific logic characterising the field of cultural production, and the way in which that field relates to the wider fields of power and class relations. Doing so, he argued, reveals that the field of cultural production is cut through by two opposing principles of heirachization; the autonomous and heteronomous principles, and that as the degree of independence from the financial imperatives of the economic sphere grows, the autonomous principle, an exact inversion of the principles of heirachization governing the economicsphere, comes to predominate. Bourdieu’s work on culture provides a strong argument for the need for a theory of art that roots it in the specific conditions within the field of cultural production at a particular time.’

Sounds clever, but it’s a complete load of meaningless bollocks. I know that, because I wrote it! In my own defence though, my summary above made the underlying philosophy I was describing seem more coherent than it actually is.

Unlike the academics who make a living from this stuff, I couldn’t bring myself to build a career pumping out whiney, divisive, intellectually incoherent rubbish. But others, as we’ve seen exposed in recent days, do so with gusto. And are lauded for it.

It’s a total scandal.
 
Posts: 16232 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I studied in Jason Arday’s department at Cambridge. Here’s the crap I was taught.


Good God. I thought the BS I had to regurgitate in the very early 2000’s was leftist derp. It has gotten so much worse than I imagined.


______________________________________________
"If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”

Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
 
Posts: 19281 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The only truly useful thing Arday did was hit upon the best solution for dealing with DEI
 
Posts: 55334 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Corsair, that is depressing.
 
Posts: 237 | Registered: April 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
He got visibly angry, and proceeded to tell me that free speech was not worth protecting in a capitalist system
I guess the professor would think it is worth protecting in a communist system? Good luck with that! Eek


_________________________________________________________________________
“A man’s treatment of a dog is no indication of the man’s nature, but his treatment of a cat is. It is the crucial test. None but the humane treat a cat well.”
-- Mark Twain, 1902
 
Posts: 10587 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
According to these idiots, free speech is only if you wanted to promote delusional, unhinged rants, not for truth.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15129 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downeastnc1:
Corsair, that is depressing.

Cambridge is just one of many colleges and universities that "teach" pure bullshit to their students. In this country, prestigious medical universities, Ivy League colleges, state universities, etc., many of them indoctrinate young people who are paying a fortune in tuition.



"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
 
Posts: 19697 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^

The one thing Marx and Cambridge et al never factored in is the rise of the middle class which blows pure Marxist theory all to hell. And yet the commies soldier on, bending minds, destroying culture and making everything much, much worse. It's a puzzler.




Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
 
Posts: 9252 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cambridge Univ DEI professor scandal

© SIGforum 2026