SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spectrum TV and Internet Service?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spectrum TV and Internet Service? Login/Join 
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted
Been with Charter/Spectrum for well over ten years now and honestly if the tv picture is good or the internet works around here its a rare and good day.

Its not on my end as neighbors around me and throughout this area are all having issues over and over and over.

Just wondering ifs its a local thing or is this par for Spectrum throughout the USA. You get a tech out and its always replace a couple of splitters and put two or three new ends on the cable they can access and they call it good. What about all those other 15 cable ends between my Tv and the street that they cant see or get too. Don't they ever get bad?

Yeah you fixed me and my bad cable for sure but why is it that me and neighbors on both side and all around the neighbor hood have the same issues? Damn those FB community groups getting together with all the same issues.

Then its the old its our crappy service so their wont be a service charge but what shows up on next months bill but a service charge that you have to pay the spend an hr of your time with cs to get a credit. Just wonder how many people just pay it and go on.

So for those of you with Spectrum hows your overall experience with Spectrum?

Many discussions are started about them and its always non of the other options here are any better then Spectrum so we put up with it and pay for shit service and feel like things are great when its just a normal day when the internet works and the tv actually holds a picture and sound. Yes and now they offer phone service as well. Bet thats going well. Maybe for them. When things are down you have no internet service or phone service to call and complain/report on. Think i will stay with ATT as that works all the time.

Posts: 18040 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Spectrum bought Time Warner Cable around here. TW was never that great, but it got worse with Spectrum.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I have Spectrum internet and UVerse TV. After suffering with AT&T internet for 5+ years I made the switch to Spectrum and haven't looked back. The only reason I don't switch to Spectrum TV is the DVR system is way better on UVerse. My experience with Spectrum has only been for about 1.5 years but has been very good; with the exception of the rate increasing after the "trial period."

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I dont have Spectrum (Speculum) but I see and awful lot of Nextdoor.com posts from people in my area to the tune of "hey is anyone besides me having problems with Spectrum internet?"

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Spectrum bought Time Warner Cable around here. TW was never that great, but it got worse with Spectrum.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Me too. I switched to Verizon Fios a while back. It has it's own issues, but on balance it's better than Spectrum. I'm going to hit the two year mark with Fios soon, and I'm sure that they'll try and jack up my price. At that point, I may have to switch back to Spectrum just to be able to get the "new customer" pricing again from Verizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
I dont have Spectrum (Speculum) but I see and awful lot of Nextdoor.com posts from people in my area to the tune of "hey is anyone besides me having problems with Spectrum internet?"

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I just have Spectrum internet for our business and it just smokes. Very fast and no wifi issues. (If it tanks tomorrow I'm blaming you)

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
When dealing with Spectrum do yourself a favor, subscribe to only internet and stream your TV and movie content through your preferred provider (I use ROKU with YouTube TV). My internet is fairly reliable overall, and getting rid of the Spectrum DVR box(s) is almost worth the switch in and of itself.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Love my Spectrum high speed internet and my favorite part of Spectrum tv was when I returned all the cable boxes and remotes and cancelled the tv service. Youtube tv and Amazon prime is more tv than I can watch and no boxes or wires to pay for and worry with.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We went through a bunch of outages one summer, and it wasn't just us (I talked to my neighbors).

I started requesting an "outage credit" every time I noticed it was out, and asked my neighbors to do so as well. About 2 months later, we witnessed Spectrum replace the line on our street, and service was MUCH improved after that.

So, if you are having issues, as for the credit. Once Spectrum sees it's physical cost, they will do what they need to to fix the issue.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first moved into my townhouse, I had Charter, which morphed into Spectrum. Lots of outages and pixilated screens. I bitched about it constantly, told them I wanted credit for down time and to send out a tech every time it went out.
After about 3 months of this, my usual tech guy showed up. But this time he was accompanied by a stranger. This stranger was some supervisor from a regional office. They farted around (the usual routine) for about 20 minutes and supervisor dude shook my hand and said "this will be fixed ASAP".
The next day, I was full on invaded by a cable TV task force. Lots of trucks and crews. My landlord was amazed.
They ended up removing the entire system which fed the complex, due to its sloppy install with outdated equipment. Problem solved! But to get this done, it took me and about 500 other people bitching about it in order to get the proper fix.
Once Spectrum took over from Charter, the creeping fee syndrome began to manifest itself. Every month the cost went up by a couple bucks with no improvement in programming or service.
My landlord got sick of hearing about this and bought the system for the complex from Spectrum with the agreement that they would continue to service it.
Now my basic cable is included in my rent and I pay about $25 for extra stuff I want to watch. Each 4 unit townhouse building has individual free Wi-Fi, strong enough to surf the net while seated in your car in the parking lot.
So... I have been lucky with the cable TV situation. To get Spectrum to provide the service they should be providing, takes lots and lots of people threatening to dump them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
About what I thought...well after a 4 hr outage today its back on in time for the Indy 500 race.

Posts: 18040 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I had charter / spectrum for many years at the old house and it was absolutely fantastic. Nice and snappy, it almost never went down, maybe once or twice a year because of a severe thunderstorm.

Then I moved ten miles and moved my account here. I was the last user / house on the line so they tested the signal strength before installing and the guy on the pole said it was "hot, very hot". Then they ran fiber all the way to the house. But it ain't the same Frown. Sluggish at times and down for short periods a couple times a month.
Often I have to reboot everything, I never had to do that before. They also upgraded me from 100Mb to 200Mb at my request, no charge, but I still miss the ole reliable service I had before.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spectrum sucks ass!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had Charter/Spectrum for about 10 years and internet/tv was very good and no problems...unless you had to deal with customer service and then it really sucked

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
TWC morphed into Spectrum. Signal quality has always been good. Internet Bandwidth was at times suspect. Their phantom prices fluxations became tedious to track so I pulled the on their cable but kept the HS internet. Opted for HULU live at first & settled upon YoutubeTv. Wouldn’t go back now Wink

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
We have had Spectrum for about 2 years, decent pricing as we only do basic cable and their 400m internet.

I have found the key to dealing with their troubleshooters is to insist on a tier 2 or 3 tech.

I had issues with another carrier a couple of years ago and after 2 tries and at least one tech visit I insisted on getting to their tier 2 tech (based in DFW....not india)and asked for a BER test....low and behold there were issues.

I helped that I cut my teeth troubleshooting data lines and I my own tests before hand.

Most offshore techs do nothing more than read from their TS manual, I know because I have run offshore NOC facilities. Escalate the trouble ticket every 3-4 hours (normal MTR timeline) until you can get someone in the states

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Happy with our Spectrum.

478.5 Mbps down
13.7 Mbps up

I think we pay $69 a month (no T.V. subscription)

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Spectrum sucks ass!
Not attempting to refute your comments, but which provider doesn't on some level? They all seem to have failings.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience has been the service is overpriced and sucks. It was so bad at the old house, they actually came out and replaced all the cabling from the street to each tv. Internet was okay, only went out every two or three weeks. They were good about adjusting the bill.

I got AT&T U-verse when I moved. It costs quite a bit less, but the service is much better. I've had it two years, and only lost satellite contact for brief periods three or four times. Internet is slightly slower that Spectrum, but works every day and I don't move massive amounts of data now that I'm retired.

Overall I'm satisfied from AT&T.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was doing great with Verizon and then they sold out FIOS to Frontier in my area. Frontier jacked the shit out of the price.

My only other choice was BrightHouse so I went over to them and then Spectrum bought them.

Another price increase.

Much worse stability and speed than Frontier Fios.

I am going back to Fios the next time spectrum goes out.

I am just pissed off Fios wants $130 to turn on the service. They claim they need to send a tech out and want to charge me. The fiber was never disconnected from the house, so they only need to turn on the account remotely.

Brighthouse TV is included in the HOA fee.
The TV is fairly stable the internet is prone to slowdowns. I would not get spectrum again for internet

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post