SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I really hate these rosters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really hate these rosters Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I still have no real clue on why rosters can exist if not at the federal level. They don't seem to have ANY rational basis yet they persist.

As a result, if one wishes to buy, for example a VP9 here, the street price is $1800-$2500. In free states, I think they can be had for < $1000.

What other product is subject to such ridiculousness as rosters? I'm going to say drugs as a category doesn't count because guns are generally accepted as legal, even here. Just a roster limiting which guns you can buy.

To me, it's like a list of cars you can't buy; like you aren't allowed to buy a corvette but you can buy a hellcat. Or maybe not even that - you can't buy a corvette newer than 2014.

I can't think of any other product that's generally accepted and legal that is subjected to such ridiculousness.

I'd like to find a product that's near and dear to the Left and make it illegal.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
To me, it's like a list of cars you can't buy; like you aren't allowed to buy a corvette but you can buy a hellcat. Or maybe not even that - you can't buy a corvette newer than 2014.

I can't think of any other product that's generally accepted and legal that is subjected to such ridiculousness.

You don't remember when there were 49-state cars and CA-legal cars?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

No. What was that?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Where is “here”?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31482 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
The CA handgun roster is ridiculous. I escaped years ago, but it is possible we may have to return. I am resistant to changing my residency for many more reasons than just the roster.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s brutal. Last week my LGS got a sig 365 and 365xl on consignment. 1650 and 2000 respectively. Sold in a few days each. 30% vig to the shop of course. And I live in a county where ccw is unobtainium. Even used gen 3 roster glocks going 750-850.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I often thought that one could make a lot of money by legally buying off-roster guns while living in NV, then moving to CA and legally selling these off roster guns via a dealer.

I know a 21 year old who keeps moving from NV to CA to NV, to CA etc as his seasonal constructions job situation changes.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10938 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

No. What was that?

CA had more stringent safety/emission standards than the other 49 states, so manufacturers had to build different models to be able to sell them in CA.

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I often thought that one could make a lot of money by legally buying off-roster guns while living in NV, then moving to CA and legally selling these off roster guns via a dealer.

I know a 21 year old who keeps moving from NV to CA to NV, to CA etc as his seasonal constructions job situation changes.

Warden gruesome and his minions have thought of that and now they have a 5 dros (as a seller) limit per year. Unlimited buys though. The exception is if you sell a bunch via consignment at a dealer.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
It’s brutal. Last week my LGS got a sig 365 and 365xl on consignment. 1650 and 2000 respectively. Sold in a few days each. 30% vig to the shop of course. And I live in a county where ccw is unobtainium. Even used gen 3 roster glocks going 750-850.

My LEO neighbor showed me his NIB with tag 365 for $599. On Calguns, that same gun advertises for $1200-1500. Silly.

I'm seriously considering the intrafamilial transfer from my mother out of state. Why can my LEO neighbor have one while I can't? It's just a 9mm!

P229

Posts: 3845 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Why can my LEO neighbor have one while I can't? It's just a 9mm!

You can, just have your mother buy one and gift it to you.

The hardest part in finding an FFL, at your end, who understands what this entails. What's sort of cool is that the 30 day period between purchases doesn't consider an intrafamilial transfer

posted Hide Post
Because none of these laws would be in place if they didn’t exempt almost all LE. If it’s a “safety” test as the drop test is then are we saying LE are allowed to have guns that are unsafe in the eyes of the state ? They are supposed to declare their exemption because it will be a “duty gun”. Yet my LGS ordered and sold Glock 44. ( 22 LR caliber) I’m sure there’s A bunch of cops running around with a .22 as a duty gun... why are almost all single actions roster exempt ? No colt or colt clone would pass a drop test. The end result Creates a grey market for off roster guns and now even a bunch of LE around the state have been pinched basically flipping off roster and desirable guns. And pooped for bending an unlicensed dealer.

And now the roster rule has grown to include a micro stamping requirement to ejected shell cases for autos. since no maker will do that it’s basically impossible for any new semi auto gun to be added to the roster. That’s their end goal. Make nothing new and legal available for sale so

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Some LEOs in CA thought using their exemption to buy and then sell off roster handguns was a good idea for a side hustle. The state eventually caught on and prosecuted.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Think about this. It’s not illegal for LE. It’s not illegal to move in and sell. It’s not illegal to own. It’s not illegal to buy private party. It’s just illegal to buy retail. I hate the idiots that support these rosters. I will make it my mission to inconvenience those whenever I have the opportunity to do so.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Think about this. It’s not illegal for LE. It’s not illegal to move in and sell. It’s not illegal to own. It’s not illegal to buy private party. It’s just illegal to buy retail. I hate the idiots that support these rosters. I will make it my mission to inconvenience those whenever I have the opportunity to do so.

But it is illegal to deal guns without a license especially if the state ( however wrong they are) says you can only sell 5 per year if you are not a FFL dealer. Which is what these Various LE are being charged with.

Agree the roster is stupid and solely exists as more back door gun control. And unintended consequences has resulted in these gray market transactions and made criminals out of otherwise quite law abiding persons.