SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has Sunday Really Become Saturday #2 In This Country?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Sunday Really Become Saturday #2 In This Country? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Confused

My son, age 7 finished up the season yesterday for coach pitch baseball and he really did well overall. Really got better at fielding and hitting as the season progressed and he loves it. We found out that there is a fall ball season starting in mid August and he wants to do that instead of soccer.

THEN…we find out that the games are on Saturday and Sunday? WTH? Do people not go to church anymore on Sundays? We do and are not willing give up going to church for 3-4 months for baseball.

Seems to me that the Lord’s Day has become Saturday #2 for a lot of people. Frown

Posts: 33841 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I recall when stores where closed on Sundays and the hum of a lawnmower was non-existent. I recall when local retail stores (including the Jewish merchants) closed between 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM on Good Friday. I also recall when Memorial Day was a solemn day of observance rather than a three day party weekend.

Posts: 3508 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately yes. We are now living in a 24 hour 7 day a week society.
I remember growing up as a kid in the 70s. I grew up in the north east and remember the Blue laws.
Almost nothing was done or open on Sunday. I remember even the pharmacy was closed. The owner had his phone number on the door for emergency in case you need a prescription filled.
If I remember correctly the only thing you could buy was food.
How times have changed.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
In quite a few religions, Saturday is the day of Sabbath.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Worst day of the week in my youth. Forced to go to Sunday school and church for eighteen years. Add in the Sunday night dread of Monday and it's a perfect day to skip if possible.

To the OP's question, more and more churches are going down the tubes from lack of participation so yes, it's more like Saturday part II.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
And, I suspect, more people than ever are either areligious or not practicing. (I more-or-less fall into the "areligious" category.)

I'm old enough to recall the days when, even if not particularly religious, the vast majority of Americans at least took a breather on Sunday. Mind you: When I'm in the midst of a project and need tools or parts, or getting together with friends and want to buy beer or whatever, I'm glad the stores are open, but I do miss those days.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
and remember the Blue laws.

I remember Blue Laws. Couldn't sell clothes on Sundays. But I also remember Thanksgiving and Christmas when Nothin was open except 7-11.

The new god is Amazon. All praise same day delivery.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13406 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

I remember Blue Laws. Couldn't sell clothes on Sundays. But I also remember Thanksgiving and Christmas when Nothin was open except 7-11.

Yes,I remember walking through Two Guys department store and everything except the food part of the store was blocked off.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2574 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forced to go to Sunday school and church for eighteen years.

Same here. And after my eighteenth birthday, outside of the rare wedding or funeral, I haven't been back since.

I turned 49 this year.

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems to me that the Lord’s Day has become Saturday #2 for a lot of people.

It is for me. Not everybody goes to church.

Posts: 27977 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up we went every Sunday and then had an extended family Sunday lunch with my grandparents after church. I think being raised in a church going family gives you a faith foundation to deal with the issues life confronts you with. I can’t imagine going through the death of loved ones if you believe that death is just it and there’s nothing more.

We raised our kids the same way and hope that it sticks. Kids today are under tremendous peer pressure today to live lifestyles of selfishness and self centeredness with no concept of giving back to society in a positive way.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Yep.

Add in the fact that I had to work Sundays for a decent chunk of my career, and it's just another day of the week for me.

I actually kinda preferred having my "weekend" mid-week. Makes stuff like grocery shopping and doctor's appointments significantly more convenient, although it can cramp your social life a bit.

(4x10s with Weds/Sat/Sun off is the sweet spot, having the best of both worlds of a mid-week day off plus weekends off with friends.)

Besides, the "Sunday as God's Day" thing is pretty specific to Christianity, and even then just to some (albeit most) denominations. Some Christian denominations and other religions revere a different day of the week as the "holy/rest day", like Saturday for Judaism, Seventh Day Adventists, etc., or Friday for Islam, Bahai, etc., or even a rotating day based on the phase of the moon for Buddhism.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Cant buy booze on Sunday and cant buy any alcohol here in NC until I think 10 AM...used to be 1 PM

AFAIK in SC you cant buy any alcohol on Sunday at least thast the way it was back when I was in college and having to drive to NC because we were in Myrtle Beach and forgot to stock up on Sat...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:

Yes,I remember walking through Two Guys department store and everything except the food part of the store was blocked off.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Us too. We don't practice organized religion.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Some of this could be working, mostly, in Miami the last year, but Sunday seems to have become a good “prep” day for Monday.

All the slackers who dropped out of the workforce “due to COVID”, seem to have turned Monday into an ultra productive day.

By Friday evening/afternoon, most folks seem to be done/getting a bit stressed.

The Friday night to Saturday night sabbath may work better.

Growing up, Saturday, until noon, was pretty normal. Even the banks were open until noon.

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
And, I suspect, more people than ever are either areligious or not practicing. (I more-or-less fall into the "areligious" category.)
And, practicing religion has become contained within the walls of a building. As Warhorse mentioned, there’s only one commandment pertinent, the seventh day Sabbath, but you’re to actually practice religion daily. Sunday is meaningless to more and more people and, quite frankly, it’s refreshing to see. I’m happy that people are relinquishing man-made tradition.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
When I was in Vienna, almost everything closed on Saturday.

Bit split. I think it might be socially healthy to all close for a day.

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Police work will cause you to think of Saturday and Sunday as just another day with no special significance. Same for holidays, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sundays became the 1st Monday for me a few decades ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My little town rolls up the sidewalks on Sunday. Other than the gas station and our little grocery store, all retail stores are closed, including our pharmacy.

The only time it's kind of a pain is if you're working on a project on Sunday and need something from the hardware store or NAPA. You're out of luck until Monday unless you want to drive an hour to an open store. And, at $5.69/gallon, that ain't happening.

It takes a little getting used to for the newbies who move here, but I rather like it.

Posts: 20122 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post