SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can you tell me about "Tablo" for ota tv
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you tell me about "Tablo" for ota tv Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Is this something or a gimmick or scam? Does it work?

Thanks

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19702 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
While it is legitimate, the execution has hit a Titanic snag.

With the upgrade from ATSC 1.0 to ATSC 3.0 came improved signal usually, and reception.

However, the broadcasters have now rolled out a form of encryption for channels that are on the new standard of ATSC 3.

I have an equivalent to to the Tablo in a HDHomerun unit. I could receive the TV signals and hook it up to my network and watch broadcast TV anywhere in my house. I could have used the DVR function if I wanted to pay the subscription fee, but that's not why I got it.

Because of the encryption, these devices are paperweights when it comes to encrypted channels because they don't have the key and there is no projected time when they will receive it. For at least a year it's been, "it's coming anytime now..."

If you still receive ATSC 1.0 signals, it might be worth it for a little while, but these signal are being phased out for the new 3.0.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6107 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=atsc3

Channels highlighted in red are encrypted.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6107 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
What is the point of encrypting advertising-supported broadcasting? Wouldn't this reduce their subscriber base?

Perhaps it's a data-gathering ploy, does the software in the necessary receiver/decoder report back to the broadcaster?

Posts: 6757 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
What is the point of encrypting advertising-supported broadcasting? Wouldn't this reduce their subscriber base?

Perhaps it's a data-gathering ploy, does the software in the necessary receiver/decoder report back to the broadcaster?

One of the stated reasons is to cut down on piracy and such. The reporting back to the broadcasters was also listed as a reason. They want to make it so you can't record a show and fast forward through the commercials. They also want to make it so that recorded shows have an expiration where you no longer have access to it anymore.

I think it's a great way to kill an already ailing route of Television.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Is this something or a gimmick or scam? Does it work?

Thanks

I have one. 4th generation dual tuner,

I get about 30 channels out of Portland. Still PLENTY of ATSC 1.0 out there to receive.

Kind of nice because it allows me to pause live TV and record things.

However, the software for the fire stick is a little buggy. It doesn't bother me too much, but now and again it just sits there and shows a blue spinning circle, forever, until I restart the app.

If your TV signal is weak, for example if you live really far from the transmitting towers, then the thing sometimes gives up and won't record things that you have scheduled.

would I buy the Tablo again... Yes.
Is it perfect.... No.
Are there better products out there... probably, but maybe not at the same cost.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11088 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, no need to record. Was thinking it would pull more ota channels in?

Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
What do you have antenna wise?

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It is one of the smaller RCA antenna's iirc. Bought at Walmart a year ago.

Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
This guy?

https://www.rcaantennas.net/outdoor/?sku=ANT754E

Are you having reception issues?

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

I have one. 4th generation dual tuner,

I get about 30 channels out of Portland. Still PLENTY of ATSC 1.0 out there to receive.

Also, in case I came off as negative originally, I am in the same boat as Radioman above. I am still able to receive a bunch of ATSC 1.0 channels with my device. I'm just a bit salty over the rollout of the encryption business.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

would I buy the Tablo again... Yes.
Is it perfect.... No.
Are there better products out there... probably, but maybe not at the same cost.

Same (except I have the HDHomerun). Some devices released can decrypt the channels, but as far as I can tell, can't be hooked into your home network to play on various devices.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

posted Hide Post
I have one of the 4th generation units. You can only do so much with an insufficient antenna. While the Tablo has an antenna amplifier, you're still having to rely on the antenna's ability to receive the signal. Some cities still have VHF channels in use - smaller units aren't going to be able to receive that band much. While the RCA antenna mentioned has VHF capability, I expect it is very limited. Check your area - if one of the channels you really want to watch is out there, get an antenna with real ability to receive VHF.

In addition to OTA channels, there are several streaming channels available that the Tablo can receive via your internet connection.

As for ATSC 3.0, even TV manufacturers are not equipping their units with that type of tuner at this time. Samsung had it on one of the OLED units last year and didn't put it on the current year unit. The full-time conversion to ATSC 3.0 is still years out - they have to maintain ATSC 1.0 for at least 5 years after ATSC 3.0 is really adopted.

It appears that they are trying to push the same thing as when VCR units came out - they want you to watch when they broadcast, not later. From what I've heard, they will license the decryption for TV devices, but won't do the same for recording systems. They will also be able to have channels that people will be able to pay to watch (like you do on cable systems now - sort of like PPV). Looks like companies will be litigating the right to watch when they want all over again.

Others are saying that the DRM is intended to keep anything you watch or record WITHIN your network and not let it be shared with others. Only time will tell.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I think that is the antenna or very similar to it.

This place is not currently hooked up to the internet.

so it is just a TV with the antenna currently.

Receives multiple abc, cbs, nbc, pbs and fox stations with it. 30+ stations I would say. Occasionally loose some reception and not all stations receive the same quality.