SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just found out about this on iPhone - using the spacebar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just found out about this on iPhone - using the spacebar Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Some very cool tips !!

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Apple makes a great phone but doesn’t necessarily do so good at informing its users of all the neat little tricks and functions that are available.
There is an app on the iPhone, "Tips," that is placed there by Apple. Search for it* and poke around a bit, you'll find lots of stuff there.
*Easy way to search for an app on an iPhone: instead of swiping through one screen after another, just pull down a bit. A search bar will appear at the top of the screen, and a keypad at the bottom. Use the keypad, start typing the name of the app you're looking for, and it's icon will appear just below the search bar. Tap on the icon and Bob's your uncle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Here's another:

Go to settings >> accessibility >> touch and scroll down to 'back tap'. Switch it to 'on' and there are numerous selections for what you want your phone to do if you tap the back of it twice or three times.

I have mine set to: 2 = app switcher, 3 = lock screen; but you can pick from a bunch

THAT is awesome! I just set back tap twice to screenshot, and back tap thrice to flashlight; no more struggling with the power button and the volume buttons to take a screenshot. Flashlight shortcut saves steps, too.

I already knew about the space bar thing; that has saved lots of frustration as well.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Here's another:

Go to settings >> accessibility >> touch and scroll down to 'back tap'. Switch it to 'on' and there are numerous selections for what you want your phone to do if you tap the back of it twice or three times.

I have mine set to: 2 = app switcher, 3 = lock screen; but you can pick from a bunch

THAT is awesome! I just set back tap twice to screenshot, and back tap thrice to flashlight; no more struggling with the power button and the volume buttons to take a screenshot. Flashlight shortcut saves steps, too.
I already knew about the space bar thing; that has saved lots of frustration as well.

My wife has the back tap flashlight option on her phone (12), I don’t (8+).
Is it the phone model or does it show up in the later updates? I have 15.3 waiting to install.
Whittling my way down the list! Soon, like maybe 200 years, I’ll finally know all the tricks…as long as they don’t change anything. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for sharing. I got flash light on 2 taps how do you get another function for 3 taps?

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
V_Tail, my phone has a shortcuts app but no tips. Is that the same thing?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1903 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
That's great. Here's something else coming to your iPhone:

I will find uses for this one. An example would be how I feel when my wife makes cheesecake and I just had to have that second piece.

JC

Posts: 1305 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
That's great. Here's something else coming to your iPhone:

Another reason not to update my OS (and probably kill my SE G1 with bloatware).

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3633 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I did not know that! Thank you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Another: if you want to use the degree symbol - like 72° Fahrenheit … just press the zero 0 key and hold it, then move your finger over the symbol when it pops up.
There are other similar keyboard shortcuts.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, just showed the wife the space bar trick. She thought I was a genius until I told her I learned about it on SF.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing some great tips! These mobile devices today are incredibly powerful. Tips like these help me use my phone the way it is designed to work.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1358 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

V_Tail, my phone has a shortcuts app but no tips. Is that the same thing?
I don't know. Don't think so, buy might be. Mine is called "tips"

Look here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tips/id1069509450

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Well shit. I wonder when that happened? Something that would have been nice about a decade ago.

It's been a feature for a few years now.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yep. Use it for that all the time.

"Apple is sooo intuitive, you don't need directions!!"

MY ASS.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17622 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is fantastic.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I found out about a couple years ago, very cool. If you ever want to insert a degree mark, hold the zero key down for a sec, and it will pop up for you to slide your finger to.

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post