SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the Military veterans on KP duty
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Military veterans on KP duty Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I was in basic in 1961 and peeling potatoes was 'de rigueur'. I suspect it was because the potatoes back then were not as clean as the ones found in supermarkets today and it was probably easier and more sanitary to peel them. I never had to peel potatoes, but I still have memories of the poor bastard sitting out in back of the mess hall in the dark, surrounded by big pots, peeling potatoes.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
My KP "1969" potatoes were all machine pealed - Now who remembers garbage duty on the Spaghetti Night. The next day the Pig farmer would show up to get his Free Food and those cans were bubbling. What a horrible smell.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
These days they don’t even want you to grill for Soldiers unless you have taken some food handlers course Roll Eyes

KP was before my time but I did work for a guy at Sears who said they peeled potatoes in the 80s.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Navy here; my KP duty during recruit training in '77 was cancelled due to me having the measles. I had been tagged to work in the meat locker, according to a shipmate that took my place. Ship and shore duty alike, I believe that they used the water devices discussed earlier.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Although I was "acting" Platoon Sgt. in basic training, I volunteered for KP on graduation day. Lots of recruits had family in attendance and I had none. Seemed like the right thing to do. Peeled lots of veggies! LOL

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Guess I got lucky.... Basic training (aug 1968) was the assigned company truck driver so was exempt... AIT my name never came up.... Shipped of to Korea and we had civilian KP"s.... upon return to the states had attained rank of E-5 so was exempt from KP duty.... Then after becoming a Drill Sgt. had the honor of being the one who prepared the duty roster for several activities.. There was a proper way to prepare and it could be manipulated if need be. ................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Never had KP in my 3 years of active duty.
Got out, and joined a USAR unit, at the Div HQ level. My first weekend drill, I pulled KP, and spent the morning peeling potatoes for the lunchtime meal. I was a mite miffed, being a E-5 Sgt. I was set straight by the E-6 sitting next to me peeling carrots, who observed that all the junior (to us) ranks were scrubbing pans and mopping floors. That's the price you paid for being a junior NCO in a brass-heavy unit.

Only pulled KP that one time in the 3 years I was there.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I was in from 2000-2004
In '03 I was on ship and got detached for KP.
For the (very short) first bit they had us doing some of the food prep stuff.
This lasted until someone got in trouble because cooks are the only ones authorized to do that work.
From then on - scullery.
Soooooo many dirty plates/forks/etc..

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Ft.Dix 1971. Never peeled a potato the had a machine. Learned quickly that where you signed in determined you job. (Last in got pots and pans.)
Day after graduation I got grabbed for KP. (My flight was in the evening.) Thought I could hide out but a guy squealed on me. I still remember his name,

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Pulled KP for one day in Basic training, Jan 1973, Ft Ord. Spent a couple of hours quartering rotten potatoes to go into the slop bin that was for the local pig farmers and the rest of the day washing trays,pots,pans and utensils. Cleaning mess hall tables and floor plus serving on the food line. Never peeled potatoes for consumption.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
USMC 97-2001

Never had “KP” as it’s known. When I was in boot camp our platoon won the drill competition which allowed us to choose our duty during “mess & maintenance” week. We all wanted mess duty for 4th BN, the women’s BN, but our Sr. DI picked maintenance over mess and told us that we’d understand why quickly.

He was right. That week was by far the easiest week of them all. I got put on a building renovation job with a civilian construction crew, almost all of which were former military, and those guys gave us sodas, cigarettes and food and didn’t make us do shit.

For the most part everyone in my platoon got a nice vacation that week.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA:

No food prep for us. Cooks did that. We served it up, cleaned the cooking utensils or had garbage duty.

In boot, a handful of recruits rotated doing one week in chow. Not allowed to do food prep.
Like Steve said, serve, clean and garbage.
Got on the shitlist and all you did was garbage.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0658:
USAF, 1966, Elmendorf AFB. When I had KP I seemed to get the Potato Peeling duties.

Being in the Air Force we were a bit more advanced; we had a washtub sized Potato Peeler. We put the Potato's in and it ground the outer skin off. You only had to make sure you didn't grind away too much.

Within a couple years they hired civilians in the Mess Hall, that was the end of KP for me.

LOL, yep! Same here. USAF 73-77.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
OSUT at Benning in 1987. Cleaned a lot of plates and silverware, never peeled a potato.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Did two days of it during boot camp. Frown
They likely made us do it to remind us where we would end up if we failed at our pre-assigned jobs. LOL

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Never did KP. When they wanted to get us out our bunk just because we where in our bunk (think boot camp) we policed the area. That is picked up trash. Usually just one bag between 20 some pickers because no one trashed the base so it was a prize if you found something to stick with your sticker.

After Tech school there was non of that shit. We had skills. Smile

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post