SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here do air/particulate testing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here do air/particulate testing? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
As part of my new job, I've been handed an AeroTrak particle counter and a test procedure and essentially told, "figure it out."

I read the procedure, set up the meter the best I knew how (not having even seen one before), and then set up and ran the test.

Now I have data, and I don't know a thing about how to interpret it. If I try to make information from the data, I get a really odd conclusion -- in one portion of the test, the data shows the air as being dirtier after the filtration run than it was right after the fire burned. I'm no expert, for sure, but this just doesn't make sense.

Yesterday involved a bunch of reading regarding CADR (clean air delivery rate) testing and the "standard" setups for such tests. I understand the basics of the test, so that's a start. But I don't yet understand the results this meter is presenting.

Today I wrestled with it some more, realizing that I didn't label the "recipes" well enough to be properly descriptive in the report. That, I can work around. Then tinkering with the software, I found that maybe I didn't ask for the right data (units of measure) to be presented. So I re-ran the report with different u/m and got different numbers but very similar graphs. (Reasonably so.)

To the point: I'm hoping to tap the SF "guru collection" and find someone who's got knowledge of this type of test, and -- as a bonus -- someone who's familiar with this particular meter. I read some this afternoon about a similar Fluke product (925? 985? I can't remember.) and the test method was mostly similar, but very different with respect to the use of a zero-pass filter. Confused

Hoping someone here has the knowledge, and thanking you all in advance.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Anyone?

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Yessir, I've got the manual, thank you. I've run a couple of informal cycles in the office, and another following the procedure I was given. Where I get into trouble is in the interpretation of the data, with respect to CADR and ISO standards.

The manual doesn't address that zero-pass filter at all, aside from the fact that it's in the kit. There's no mention of how or when to use it. Many of the videos are done by Indonesians... given that and interesting things in the writing of the manual, I wonder if the company is Indo and perhaps some things are either incomplete or lost in some translation. Maybe?

I did have some better luck with the numbers on Thursday, though, and I'm wondering if the initial crummy data is the result of my not having understood the recipe setups well enough prior to the first test run. I believe next week will bring about a re-do of the prescribed test, and likely some rewriting/clarification of the procedure.

God bless America.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The closest thing my experience has is air particulate testing for radioactivity and that was just an aside since we had dedicated people for that.

But I recommend a possible resource for you: https://openai.com/

Something technical like what you're looking for would be right up its alley. What I do is I sometimes ask the same question worded a different way. Or even challenge it on its answers such as "you said thig but..."

Here is the second question I asked after asking about AeroTrak particle counter. I asked, "What can you tell me about AeroTrak particle counter and zero pass filter"

quote:
AeroTrak particle counters are high-precision instruments used to measure the concentration of airborne particles in cleanrooms, laboratories, and other controlled environments. These devices use laser technology to detect and count particles in the air, and they are available in a range of models with different particle size ranges and flow rates.

A zero-pass filter, also known as a HEPA filter, is a high-efficiency air filter that is designed to trap particles as small as 0.3 micrometers in diameter. These filters are commonly used in cleanrooms and other critical environments to remove airborne contaminants and maintain the cleanliness of the air.

When used together, AeroTrak particle counters and zero-pass filters can provide accurate and reliable data on the concentration of airborne particles in a given environment. The particle counter can measure the number and size of particles in the air, while the zero-pass filter can remove particles from the air, ensuring that the particle counter is measuring only the particles that are present in the environment.

By using a zero-pass filter in conjunction with a particle counter, operators can be sure that the data they collect accurately reflects the cleanliness of the air in their controlled environment. This can help them identify potential sources of contamination and take corrective action to maintain the quality and safety of their products and processes.

How do you interpret the data from an AeroTrak particle counter??
quote:
Interpreting the data from an AeroTrak particle counter involves analyzing the particle count data and making comparisons to the established particle concentration limits for the particular cleanroom or critical environment being monitored. Here are the key steps to interpreting data from an AeroTrak particle counter:

Collect the data: The particle counter will collect data on the number and size of particles in the air over a specified period. The data can be downloaded from the particle counter or viewed on its display.

Analyze the data: The data collected by the particle counter can be analyzed to determine the concentration of particles in the air. The concentration is usually expressed as the number of particles per cubic meter or cubic foot of air.

Compare to the established limits: The data can then be compared to the established particle concentration limits for the specific cleanroom or critical environment being monitored. These limits will depend on the industry and application, but typically they will be set based on industry standards or regulatory requirements.

Identify any issues: If the data indicates that the particle concentration is higher than the established limits, then there may be an issue with the cleanliness of the environment. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as poor air filtration or inadequate cleaning procedures.

Take corrective action: If an issue is identified, then corrective action can be taken to address the problem. This might involve adjusting the air filtration system, increasing the frequency of cleaning procedures, or identifying and eliminating the source of contamination.

Overall, interpreting data from an AeroTrak particle counter involves analyzing the particle count data, comparing it to established limits, and taking corrective action as necessary to maintain the cleanliness of the environment being monitored.

I'm thinking you can give it specific data in terms of readings and it can help you interpret it. I don't know how you feel about AI but I see it as a tool even under the construct of it being ultimately used for good or evil. Just because a tool is used by others for evil shouldn't preclude my ability to use it for good. It's the next evolutionary step in search engines. Good luck.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe reach out to the insurance company that writes the Workers Compensation for your company. I know the insurance company I worked for had a dedicated group of engineers that would assist clients with that type of thing.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post