SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KUBOTA tractor question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KUBOTA tractor question Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have begun shopping for a medium sized farm tractor.
My Father had a Kubota and always had good luck with it. I have always read good reviews here on Kubota.

The tractor would be used on a 11 acre home site for snow plowing, grounds mowing (brush), cultivating 7 acres, and general use.
I found a 2000, model 5700, with 3423hrs. I'm concerned about the hrs., should I be?
I also located a L4200 with a cab but have not been told the hrs.
Any suggestions on buying a used Kubota in this size range?

Any tips on transporting a tractor this size?
I could rent a trailer but hesitate to tow behind my Jeep Commander (7500#) rating or my Sons Ford Explorer X. I would also have to drive the trailer back to where I rented it (could be several hundred miles round trip)

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The tractor clearly wasn't parked for most of its life, but those hours are not high. It's not even the hours that are important as much as whether or not it was properly maintained. I see a lot of equipment with well over 10,000 hours.

That tractor will weigh a minimum of 4,000 pounds. More if it has a loader or you are hauling other attachments. I'd only tow it behind a truck.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
To properly tow a tractor you need a pick up truck and a flatbed trailer. Tractors are heavy. You need to do it safely. Rent a truck if you can't borrow one. You will need a trailer anyway to move the tractor for repairs or service. Buy the trailer first.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Kubota L4610 (2001) cab with loader. The L series is lighter duty. The 5700 is probably an M5700, M for medium duty. It will weigh between 4000 and 7000 pounds depending on how it is equipped. Kubota makes good stuff and as stated previously, how it was maintained is important. Those hours are not high for an early 2000's tractor. The website Tractorhouse will allow you to see comps for pricing and googleing Kubota M5700 specs will get you added information if you don't have it. Our 4610 has been a good machine and I have taken good care of it. It has required nothing in parts except the normal grease, oil, filter and hydraulic oil and filter. Ours never sleeps out overnight. Care from the previous owner is super important. You won't put a lot of hours on it based on the size of your place.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
The seller is willing to deliver the M5700 tractor and possibly a few attachments if we can roll them into the sale (a dealer).
What would a reasonable delivery fee be 100 miles each way).

There is no loader on the tractor. How important is it and can it be added later?

How is dealing with a independent used farm equipment dealer compared to a used car lot?
Hand to hand combat or a more gentlemanly approach?

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a cab, make use of the AC and Heat.

Is there no bucket, or no FEL? if there is not FEL, well it is the most useful tool on the tractor for small farms.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
honestly hours wouldn't really bug me. You can figure with suitable maintenance about 9000+hrs from this engine. I'd have no issue in a one time tow near your rated towing but that would take an assessment of the actual load. If its not ballasted it will be fine as it should be near 4K. A full ballasted might well be 7K and that's too much. I would expect to pay $500 for someone else to tow it to you. You absolutely want a loader. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
For the specific tasks you mentioned, a loader is not necessary and may even be a hindrance. I suspect that you could find many other things you would like to use the machine for where the loader would be helpful.

I don't know if all of Kubota's loaders are detachable, but I know they make detachable versions. Pretty easy to put them on and take them off so that you're not dragging it around when you don't need it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm in s Indiana and Craigslist often has good deals on Kubotas, many with low hours. I've owned 3 L series over the years and a Kioti which is a Kubota clone. Mine were all good. I would insist on the front end loader and hydrostatic transmission. 4wd too and I like lug tires as opposed to turf. A shuttle shift isn't bad but a regular gear drive is best for just mowing. Working the clutch gets to be a pain on back and forth work. Central Illinois should be full of tractors.

I buy and sell a lot of mowers and have a good relationship with dealers especially my main one. They are a good source of trade ins.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the larger Kubotas you are discussing, but have experience with 2 smaller, a BX first, and now a B series.

I regretted not getting the front end losder on the BX for years. I did not make that mistake when I recently purchased the B series trsctor. In the 2 months I've had and used it, it has saved me much labor intensive work.

My primary use for my Kubota is mowing, it would not be suitable for other than small work, which is exactly what I use it for.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I have never found carrying a loader around a hindrance ever. I have a detachable one but it has never been off. The loader issue is also related to your snow issue. How are you going to move snow? PTO blower going backwards, snow blade mounted, front mounted snow blower?
You want a loader, I can't even imagine surviving without one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having been raised in Park Ridge, Illinois and relocated to Southern Illinois for most of my adult life, a cab with heat and air and a loader is "the frosting on the cake". If you are in Northern Illinois it can get mighty cold moving snow or other winter chores without a cab. Some loaders are quick detach/reattach. They can get in the way for some jobs and are very valuable for others. Once you have one you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Does the price seem fair to you? There are a lot of used tractors for sale so make sure you are happy with the deal. Again, Tractorhouse is a good place to watch and learn.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two tractors, both with front end loaders. To increase the versatility I added "grab hooks" to both buckets, along the top bucket edge. The grab hook will hook on a chain and not let it slide through. This allows a chain and loader to lift, drag and pull many things where you might otherwise have to wrap the chain around something. Extremely handy.

I have also used the bucket as portable, mobile scaffolding.

Spreading mulch? Portable bucket.

I would not consider buying a tractor without a loader.

Kubota? Great machines. They are what my John Deere would/could be if the company wasn't resting on its laurels. My JDs are good, but Kubota has refined everything about them.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am guessing the ones you are talking about have the floating bucket feature. Make sure.
Ya. a tractor is not a tractor without a front bucket. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19194 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
+1 on the front bucket with grab hooks. Grab hooks are the handiest things ever.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Check with BRL.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
I have two tractors, both with front end loaders. To increase the versatility I added "grab hooks" to both buckets, along the top bucket edge. The grab hook will hook on a chain and not let it slide through. This allows a chain and loader to lift, drag and pull many things where you might otherwise have to wrap the chain around something. Extremely handy.

I have also used the bucket as portable, mobile scaffolding.

Spreading mulch? Portable bucket.

I would not consider buying a tractor without a loader.

Kubota? Great machines. They are what my John Deere would/could be if the company wasn't resting on its laurels. My JDs are good, but Kubota has refined everything about them.

These:

http://www.boltonhooks.com/kubota.html

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a tractor and have a loader on it. I love having a loader to help move snow. I would advise you to get a removable loader. It is less bulky and not as long for when mowing.

I have a 91 tractor and have less than 1000hrs.

I have kept my tractor inside when not in use and think that helps keep it in good condition.
Personally I would look for lower hours.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I have and use a decent amount of 3 point implements but really, the tractor is for carrying the FEL around.

The cheapest attachment I've bought is a set of forklift forks. Best money I've ever spent.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Having been raised in Park Ridge, Illinois and relocated to Southern Illinois for most of my adult life, a cab with heat and air and a loader is "the frosting on the cake". If you are in Northern Illinois it can get mighty cold moving snow or other winter chores without a cab. Some loaders are quick detach/reattach. They can get in the way for some jobs and are very valuable for others. Once you have one you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Does the price seem fair to you? There are a lot of used tractors for sale so make sure you are happy with the deal. Again, Tractorhouse is a good place to watch and learn.

Small world, I also grew up in Park Ridge, Field School and Maine East. I now live a short distance away in Old Norwood Park.