SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Landlords: Judge rules apartment building owner must pay for displaced tenants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Landlords: Judge rules apartment building owner must pay for displaced tenants Login/Join 
posted
On Friday, a Newport News circuit court judge held the property owner of the SeaView Lofts apartment building in contempt, or disobeying the order of the court, over still-ongoing code compliance issues with the building.
Witness testimony from the city's code compliance and fire marshal's offices demonstrated that despite efforts to make repairs to the numerous items not in compliance, many items inside the building remain not up to code.
Exactly one week prior to the hearing, the City of Newport News condemned the apartment building after a safety inspection earlier in the week revealed neither of the complex's two elevators were properly working. Residents had been given just a 48-hour window to vacate the property, leading to many residents rushing to figure out what their next living situation would be.
“I don’t know if I should buy a house, rent a house. But I’ll never rent an apartment again. I’ll never know when this is going to happen again," Vernette Scarboro said Friday during a recess of the hearing. Scarboro is a 73-year-old resident of the apartment building, who is now living in a hotel with her older sister and wheelchair-bound husband.
In the hearing, the judge noted that the property owner would be responsible for reimbursing the city for the money they're spending to house the temporarily displaced families.
City attorneys noted that was an approximate cost of more than $15,000 per day, having totaled more than $70,000 so far.
Of the apartment's two elevators, officials noted that one week after residents had left, both still needed work. One elevator that is physically able to go up and down has other issues that need fixing with its telephone system, travel cables, and its ability to respond in emergency situations, like a fire.
The other elevator is non-operational altogether, even though the elevator doors had recently been repaired.
Officials with the city's fire marshal's office noted that two boilers in the building did not appear to be properly working either.
A city spokesperson for the City of Newport News said that the hotel stays for those displaced families have been extended through until July 14.
The next hearing between city attorneys and SeaView Apartments LLC will be Thursday, July 14.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...4813807d0d1970ffd470

This is happening in tidewater Virginia. In the past Virginia had been a fairly landlord friendly state. Now it looks like, if you have a tenant, you have to house them forever.

During the Covid hoax, Virginia had a rent moratorium. I wonder how many of the displaced tenants have been paying rent? It is really hard for a landlord to pay for repairs if the tenants don't pay their rent. I wonder if elevator parts are in short supply.

Investing in rental property seems to be a mighty risky business these days.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember the tenant from Hell:

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
This is why you incorporate if renting.

The corporation can file bankruptcy.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm not reading it correctly but it came across like a slum lord got ordered to fix code violations by the court, did not do so, got get held in contempt of court and the property condemned.

Then the court ordered the slum lord to pay for the resident's cost of having to find new places to live in 48 hours.

I'm not sure I'm on the slum lord"s side here. I see where you brought up covid related non payment of rent but i did not see that mentioed in the article.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I see where you brought up covid related non payment of rent but i did not see that mentioed in the article.

Well they wouldn't mention that would they? It doesn't fit the narrative.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there was insufficient cash flow from lack of rent during covid to pay for the upkeep of the building, or even pay a mortgage and taxes, the landlord may have a case at appeal. But there isn't enough info.

The blanket "no eviction" rule allowed many people that were perfectly capable of paying rent to stop paying and spend their money on other things. There should have been a requirement to provide reasonable proof of hardship to stop paying rent, or get a temporary reduction.

Notice there wasn't a "no foreclosure" rule absolving home owners from making mortgage payments. No that would have hurt the big banks...

Posts: 4720 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post