SIGforum
Who's Zooming?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2520040864

March 28, 2020, 02:52 PM
frankinaug
Who's Zooming?
I’ve done 15 or so presentations for schools this week using Zoom. It’s super popular for school use

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 28, 2020, 03:22 PM
Rolan_Kraps
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I'm new to Zoom, if I am just having a video call with a few people is there any reason to use the password feature?

Fundman, we added that after some concerns that someone could randomly enter a meeting ID (9 or 10 digit number) and MAYBE hit a meeting. The embedded password, prevents that. That said, I seldom have enough participants that I couldn't just dismiss anyone who didn't belong.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
March 28, 2020, 04:02 PM
fpuhan
The light came on for me yesterday morning.

I've been doing online conference calling for two weeks. All day I'm teaching, and then sometimes before and after, I'm on a Zoom meeting.

Yesterday, one one of those, a replacement for my weekly morning men's Bible study, one of our members, a financial analyst, was talking about Zoom -- the company, its founder, its philosophy, etc. -- and all of a sudden it clicked: I went home and placed a Buy order for some shares.

It's too early to tell, but between the time I bought and the end of the market day, I was up $10/share. My portfolio actually went down as the market itself went lower, but I think I made the right decision. And unlike I usually do, before it was too late!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
March 28, 2020, 06:30 PM
Fundman
Thanks for the inside scoop. I guess if you had a large meeting and only the host was on video somebody uninvited could watch. My meetings only involve 2 or 3 coworkers so it would be obvious if some stranger appeared on the computer screen!
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I'm new to Zoom, if I am just having a video call with a few people is there any reason to use the password feature?

Fundman, we added that after some concerns that someone could randomly enter a meeting ID (9 or 10 digit number) and MAYBE hit a meeting. The embedded password, prevents that. That said, I seldom have enough participants that I couldn't just dismiss anyone who didn't belong.

March 28, 2020, 07:31 PM
BGULL
My wife has started using it for a Bible Study, that cannot me as a group. She me up as a trial for helping others. We may try it out with our sons who both live away, for a group chat otherwise it’s Facetime or WhatsApp when we video converse individually.

Bill Gullette
March 28, 2020, 08:04 PM
Copefree
I work from home and my company uses Zoom so I’m a heavy Zoom user every day.

March 28, 2020, 08:52 PM
Haveme1or2
12 step meetings are going wild over this.
Doesn't take the place but sure keeps one involved
March 29, 2020, 09:52 AM
Rolan_Kraps
Join our SIG Forum ZARTY tonight at 7:00 PM ET:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...560002864#5560002864

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
March 29, 2020, 09:57 AM
stuffgeek
my company uses GTM - go to meeting. How is zoom different?
March 29, 2020, 10:52 AM
aileron
Most of my work telecons (inter and intra company) are now via Zoom; had been Webex and Go-to-Meeting until a month or two ago.

I like it; it's more intuitive, has more features, and works well on a Mac.
March 29, 2020, 11:01 AM
nhtagmember
Going to try it tonight for Rolan’s meeting.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

March 29, 2020, 11:47 AM
TomV
Can someone suggest some cameras / microphones for home use (ie - occasional) with Zoom ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomV,
March 29, 2020, 12:39 PM
Rolan_Kraps
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Can someone suggest some cameras / microphones for home use (ie - occasional) with Zoom ?

Tom, check out options from Logitech. They are the best at the lowest price point. Brio is their best webcam, but the C920 is very good. There has been a lot of their stock moving off the shelves.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer