SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Japan still executes prisoners by hanging
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japan still executes prisoners by hanging Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
So simple! So effective!
<snip>
And enrages the EU bureaucrats!

Dammit – accidentally deleted most of my post. Clicked “Edit” instead of “Quote”. Frown

Here’s the DailyMail link again.
https://mol.im/a/13200587

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
So simple! So effective!

And reusable. Eventually, that hank of rope is dang near free.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
And reusable

That's kind of unsanitary, don't you think? Oh wait...

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, they wouldn't want the condemned to get sick... Razz

The piece of shit who ordered the sarin gas in the subway was hung in 2018. Considering his size, a 1ft drop was all he would have needed...or deserved.

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
was hung in 2018. Considering his size

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's cleaner and more tidy than the method formerly used.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
No need to find the spot to stick in the needle.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1559 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ hanged vs hung

Are you sure he used incorrect grammar? I read the link of the differences. I don't think he's using the past tense but a reflexive sentence.

Eta: "was hanged." I think you're right.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s an extremely common error, to the point of probably being “Accepted usage,” but hanged is the proper past tense of the method of judicial killing. Hung refers to things like pictures on a wall.

My concern about or at least notice of such things could probably be my contribution to the “weird things” thread. But then I learned it so long ago that the method might have still been used in parts of the US.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Well it has been five years since he's been hanged. It's safe to say he's now no longer hung, nor is he "big-bone" anymore. Razz

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
And witnesses have since described their horror at watching the mechanical process by which ...

If you find it so horrifying, just don't watch it. Geez.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
And witnesses have since described their horror at watching the mechanical process by which ...

One of the advantages of this method. Potential criminals might reconsider their course of action.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Apparently watching 3 men pull levers and the condemned disappear through a hole in the floor is a horror to watch?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
This is the part where they are supposed to tell us that hanging is a renewable resource and better for the environment.

Wink

One of our local municipalities had a British style jail. They would take the prisoners and roll them out in a cart for all to see in the town square every day.

One day they rolled two of 'em back to jail and forgot about them. They both died in the cart and began to rot until passersby noticed a fowl smell (and maybe a few buzzards) and had the sherrif check on the jail.

I couldn't find any info on lawbreakers from back then, but I'm thinking that crime went down for quite some time after that.

The county jail close by had indoor gallows in the attic so they could hang 'em rain or shine.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

One of the advantages of this method. Potential criminals might reconsider their course of action.

I think deterrence is a very important feature here!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
For those watching the new Shōgun mini-series, at least they're not being boiled to death. Red Face

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have posted this before, but it does illustrate that not everyone finds hanging horrifying to watch.

The original caption was that it was the last public hanging, and occurred in Kentucky in 1938.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
No repeat offenders and no continuing costs for upkeep

Sounds like a great system.

Posts: 53188 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post