SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Continuing a tradition I held throughout my career in the Forest Service, I would like to remind my friends and family that October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

In reminding others that early detection is key to a good outcome, I am honoring my mother-in-law, Carol, who died much too young as a result of breast cancer.

Lots of good information at NBCAM

and here:
Komen for the Cure

In the years since my mother-in-law died, two others that were good friends lost their lives to the damn cancer, and now a relatively young woman we work with on Cheyenne Frontier Days is in the fight of her life.

Posts: 13233 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Tom, for that reminder.
Having lost a daughter and wife to cancer I know the pain associated with losing someone to that disease.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the push. I’m just getting to the age where I should start checking.. it’s like a colonoscopy… nobody wants to do it..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that men can get it too. Current rates are 1:100 so there are in theory men impacted here at SIGforum.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save the tatas!

I direct my "voluntary" United Way contribution to Breast Cancer research and Indiana University. It killed my grandmother too early (72 but that's not so old anymore).

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Don't forget that men can get it too. Current rates are 1:100 so there are in theory men impacted here at SIGforum.

Do you think there is a higher or lower incidence of man boobs on SigForum compared to the general population?

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

Do you think there is a higher or lower incidence of man boobs on SigForum compared to the general population?

WTF

Posts: 13233 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

My comment was intended to increase awareness. Was yours?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Cancer is big money in trying to find a cure when the data shows that all cancer patients have low levels of vitamin D3. The cancer cases increase as you get further from the equator.

Dr Sinatra also showed in his book, "The Coenzyme Q10 Phenomenon", that CoEnzyme Q10 was important.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Colon cancer in men is more prevalent than breast cancer so we should probably shift the focus and resources to the guys.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Colon cancer in men is more prevalent than breast cancer so we should probably shift the focus and resources to the guys.

Huh, I thought most here had mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, girl friends…who might benefit by the reminder to get a mammogram if it’s something that they may have neglected. Technology has improved and most diagnostic labs now have 3-D machines that are able to detect cancer in its early stage. Yeah, there are other cancers, and they’re devastating too, but I explained my personal connection with breast cancer.

I’ll add, albeit few in number, there ARE members of the Forum who are women.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Huh, I thought most here had mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, girl friends…who might benefit by the reminder to get a mammogram if it’s something that they may have neglected. Technology has improved and most diagnostic labs now have 3-D machines that are able to detect cancer in its early stage. Yeah, there are other cancers, and they’re devastating too, but I explained my personal connection with breast cancer.

Cool.
I have a personal connection to people with colon cancer. One of which is having surgery in a few days.
Colon cancer is more common and get a fraction of the funding. I just wish that got as much attention as the pink ribbon obsession does.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I hope there’s a good outcome