SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cool Attitude Indicator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool Attitude Indicator Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
For the pilots: here is a pretty rare attitude indicator, shown in the panel of a Cessna 195. The unusual instrument is an old Coffing CL-70.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is really cool! I can't say that I have ever seen one like that before.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 900 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Is that like a mood ring?

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DK he had a bad attitude earlier at the eye doctors office. Maybe his mood has improved now.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You know how it is. Your Cool Attitude Indicator shows you at "Howie Mandel", when really you should be registering at least a "Bruno Kirby" and ideally at "Steve McQueen" level, and then you find out the damn thing lost its calibration. Hey, it happens, am I right?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
which side is the chip on the shoulder?

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Can it be used at a non-tower field?

Most pilots now (including my son) wouldnt know how to use the one next to it, or below it. "Accellerate North, Decelerate South" draws a stare. He certainly wouldnt have ill feelings if shown a suction soap holder either.

Im sure Burt Henne, my original multi instructor thought the same of me when he described shooting an approach using a radio range. I looked at him like he had a fossil growing out of his forehead.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
not a pilot but that's pretty cool.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Hate to admit it but I have used the old radio range system, not the easiest thing to do.

I have been flying over 48 years with 22,000 hours++ and can honestly say I have never seen one of those attitude indicators. Thanks for posting.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Never seen one like that.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one of those before - really neat

dah dit

dit dah

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
A first for me too. Pretty cool.

An autopilot pull switch above and left? I didn't know the C-195 ever had one of those either.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2565 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I've seen one before ~25 years ago in a Spartan Executive that was based on a private grass strip on Shelter Island NY. I didn't know what it was, and thought it was some kind of one-off invention by the Spartan's owner/restorer. Obviously I was wrong.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'll batch my replies:

For those of you asking about a "mood indicator," well sort of. I'm usually in a much better mood if the attitude indicator tells me that my student / trainee is keeping us right side up when we're in the clouds. My mood can get pretty foul if s/he does something really stupid.

My avatar shows a more modern attitude indicator. In my avatar, the attitude is a slight (maybe five degrees or just a bit more) left bank attitude, and a very slight nose down pitch attitude.

Entropy: At first I didn't understand your question, but then I looked closely and I see a control tower depicted in the AI. As for the ANDS, yeah, I flew for a bunch of years with drum-type Heading Indicators (they were called Gyro Compasses in the old days) before I encountered the luxury of a card type. With the drum type, I always had to think and remind myself that the drum was actually fixed in orientation; the airplane rotated around it.

Entropy and BushPilot: Four-legged radio ranges were being phased out when i started to fly in 1964 but there were still a few around. I flew to Pennsylvania just to experience one, way back. At the time I was based at the tiny airport at Colt's Neck NJ. You're undoubtedly familiar with the COL VORTAC, a feeder fix for JFK airport. The Colt's Neck airport was sacrificed to a real estate developer but the VORTAC is still a waypoint on V-1.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
my attitude meter is permanently pegged at "SASSY"

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
That is really cool! Maybe i'll find one of these one day for my collection of decommissioned avionics on the shelf in my hangar.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah , they went digital because Paul came on the scene

the mechanical version couldn't read that cool

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A Cessna 195 is pretty cool too. Did you ever fly one?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
A Cessna 195 is pretty cool too. Did you ever fly one?
Nope, closest I got was a 185.

I never had the opportunity to fly anything with a radial engine. One of my big regrets. Too many cool airplanes. Stearman, Beech 17, Beech 18 (I flew in the Navy version, but not as a pilot).

I have always wanted a type rating in a DC-3. I know where to go for it, I just don't know where to go for the $$ to do it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים