SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Former NPR CEO Actually Talks to Conservatives, Has a Change of Heart.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former NPR CEO Actually Talks to Conservatives, Has a Change of Heart. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Before we give him too much credit, I would like to see this Stern fellow take it one step further than ". . .and even developed a sense of appreciation for guns.", and challenge him to get his CCW permit where he lives, which is Washington D.C., WITHOUT him pulling out his "I've got connections." card.

Let's see if he develops an appreciation of how absurdly difficult, expensive and time consuming it is for a law abiding citizen to simply exercise a 'Right' that is enshrined in our Constitution and BoR.

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a nice article and all...but I don't really see the point. Yay, he got a minor clue. He isn't the CEO of NPR anymore and the one who is, is just as libed out as he was.

So, is this guy going to try and do something to influence the media?

I guess the article is something at least...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
He's written a book about his explorations in deepest, darkest America. Let us hope it makes the NYT best-seller's list and he becomes the rage of all the talk shows.
God knows, the Left would never listen to someone who hasn't worked for NPR or PBS.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a related topic, I recently heard an interview with noted travel author Paul Theroux about his first domestic book Deep South.

He spent a year driving around rural areas of the South, returning to the same areas each season, developing relationships. The initial interview sounded like another New Englander (Yankee as those in the South call them) author, on safari, trying to see what goes on and why in this backwoods part of the country; then overlay it with his own bias' and preconceptions. The interview instead gave an impression that this guy was genuinely making an attempt to get a snapshot of the South, why things are they way they are and take a sympathetic view instead of a paternalistic and patronizing view that many authors have portrayed of the South. He spoke admiringly of pride and emotion of the Southern states that other parts of the country don't have, the resiliency and pragmatism that seems to be a common virtue amongst Southerners.

In any event, looking forward to picking this one up and giving it a read.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I saw him on Hannity, and he said many good things about firearms-- not only hunting, but self-defense. Apparently he has been talking with John Lott.

I sort of made fun of him earlier in this thread, but the left will turn on him viciously. It's what they do. He knows that. So it took some balls....

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11207 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I ordered the book.

I plan on reading it and then gifting it to a NPR listening coworker Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
On a related topic, I recently heard an interview with noted travel author Paul Theroux about his first domestic book Deep South.

He spent a year driving around rural areas of the South, returning to the same areas each season, developing relationships. The initial interview sounded like another New Englander (Yankee as those in the South call them) author, on safari, trying to see what goes on and why in this backwoods part of the country; then overlay it with his own bias' and preconceptions. The interview instead gave an impression that this guy was genuinely making an attempt to get a snapshot of the South, why things are they way they are and take a sympathetic view instead of a paternalistic and patronizing view that many authors have portrayed of the South. He spoke admiringly of pride and emotion of the Southern states that other parts of the country don't have, the resiliency and pragmatism that seems to be a common virtue amongst Southerners.

In any event, looking forward to picking this one up and giving it a read.

I read it.

All 10 pages.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post