SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Say you had ten to fifteen years to live....
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Say you had ten to fifteen years to live.... Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yea, currently have some nagging health stuff chipping away at longevity. What I've accomplished so far is bring the wife up to date with all insurances home/health/auto/life, help her to develop relationships with lawn and repair personnel. Had her oversee home repairs, new appliance replacements and just get a feel for home maintenance upkeep and needs to include lawn/pool care etc. Listed all accounts/numbers and brought all up to speed with my wishes and leftover disbursements. I'm working at being debt and mortgage free so as not to leave any debts or as small as possible should something unexpected occur. It's a slow and often grinding position to be in but so necessary for all.

She's developed a good network of friends and my remaining family to jump in and help if needed. Lately I sold all my firearms and ammo except one to transfer ownership to my wife. All my jewelry to David (God Bless him) as he was extremely helpful and kind, this week had an appraisal from Carvanna for my 2013 Honda Accord EXL-V6 with extremely low mileage (6,700mi) and they gave me an outstanding appraisal of $21,700 and filled me in on all the details of car pickup and funds dispersement. We still have my wife's SUV just sitting if I have any needs for transportation so thats a plus. I haven't driven my car in over a year and a half, it just sits in the garage unused in mint condition.

Currently most days I spend a good bit of time thinking of better preparing for any future related unexpected events. I cannot go into my health issues as so many here are in much of these same situations and just knowing that I'm getting the jump on these things help me feel more adjusted and comfortable knowing that being prepared is the best position to be for everybody.

Though mainly I've been at the helm taking care of these things, having to help her (wife) be in a better position for any future unexpected events have been quite overwhelming for her, she understands completely and has complied begrudgingly. She's a trooper and very capable. I've hardly no family left except my sister and her family, and just the cat

Being prepared is the key here. I've had a wonderful life both good and the difficult times. I've nothing to change. Coming up on my 70th I've been extremely blessed to have such caring and wonderful people in my life and make them feel appreciated as much as possible. I've lived thru some difficult health events in the last decade and so blessed to still be chugging. I celebrate life with my family and my cat as much as possible.

This is a timely post thank you Ed, and currently being in the midst of transitioning I feel that posting may help others that have given thought to these things. Only God knows my date, but it's helped me draw closer to my faith and helped me solidify my thoughts.

I would add that given these circumstances, it has helped me to really think about those closest to me and their needs. Them first, and then I'm left to my own.

I've tried to sum everything up but it's a process and much to still do, but everyday is a good day to think on these things..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go shoot my guns everyday!

Posts: 829 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Say you had ten to fifteen years to live....

That would be GREAT!

About six years ago, my pension plan terminated, and I was paid a lump sum payment. To verify their computations, I read IRS Publication 590-B, which includes estimated life expectancy tables. Six years ago, they estimated that I had 12 years left to live.

So it would be nice if I lived another ten years. Except I won't have any money for the last 4 years if I do...

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Report This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The question makes more sense for a younger person Say 35-40 years old. Like many on the forum, I'm already in my late 70's and have a condition (MDS) which will probably end my days at some point. The diagnoses projects 5 years after detection, and I'm 7 years into that so I'm ahead of the curve. Of course 5 years is an average and many live well past that and some check out earlier. I still get around quite well, go to the gym 5 days a week, and do all of the normal everyday things, and generally feel pretty good save a bit of shortness of breath caused by the low hemoglobin and platelets. So for me, I have a pretty comfortable life style. Loving wife and a gaggle of kids, grand kids, great grand kids and enough retirement income to allow us get by if we're careful with spending. I'll just continue to soldier on.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
LOL! Where I'm at with a brain tumor, but not years, they are predicting months instead.

Trying to make getting rid of 60 years of gun, reloading ,tools, AMMO, etc, goes easy.

I try not to dwell on anything negative, tough to do as a conservative. I watch and listen to movies and videos that make me happy. Few violent shows, a lot of rom/coms! But they make happy. The chevy ad with Walter the cat gets play.

Been spending time with my best friends too; gun shows, gun shop trips.

Anything I had put in the Will as gifts, I gifted to them these past several months. THAT was very rewarding mentally. Gifted some good hunting rifles and several handguns.

Trying to prove the Docs wrong.....exercised as best I can. Taking all sorts of supplements, which seem to be working. Still need to gain weigt I lost during chemo. So eating cheesecake or pie slathered in whipped cream as the desire hits me.

Got dealt a shitty hand.......Just trying to make the best of it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
For me I have lived this question. About 25 years ago I died in the emergency room not once but 4 times. Each time I was brought back by the great people working on me. After the fact I was told the same thing could come back without notice but there was medication that raised my chances of that not happening.

I spent a long time reflecting on my life and what to change. First, I looked at my relationship with God and what I needed to change. I found that there was nothing wrong with our relationship and nothing needed changing. Next, I looked at my relationship with my family and life partner and found those were sound too. I realized that with those relationships good and my finances were such that all my needs were taken care of then my life was alright and I didn't need to change anything.

God saw fit to let me live and the last 25 years have been the happiest of my life.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Posting before reading all the replies.

I would continue doing what I began, and that is the best effort to establish a forward legacy of "wealth" for my family. (leave my children and grandchildren a bit of a step ladder, in hope that they do not have to begin from 6 feet under and have to dig to ground level halfway through life to begin to live, and that they do the same.)

Working to eliminate debt and maximize investment in future.

Spend time instilling my skills and experiences in my children, and teaching them the history of the family from the past.

Spending my time in pursuit of my own (selfish) desires such as chasing dream girl, or bucket list items that are only self serving rub my fur backwards in my mind, already, and the thought of doing those things with drive and purpose, make me perceive they would leave the taste of sucking on an old penny.

I might take time to write "history" as I know it, with a preface that it will never be finished, as I would be reminded of things I had not thought of along the way, and add them as I recalled them.

Mostly, from the perspective of how my life has been, and the things that I found I would have liked to have known.

What you don't know hurts you more than what you know, in the sense of "your" history and prehistory. The good, and the bad, should not be hidden from those you love and care about.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I would do everything I could to get out of debt and ensure my wife and kids had a comfortable life after I was gone. I would also try to spend as much time as I could with my family, maybe take a few trips, but mainly just make memories with everyone.

Sounds like a plan. not such a bad idea for anybody.

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I definitely fit the example. I'm 83 with a few health conditions. However, I have no one dependent on me except a few housecats. I have enough money that my final expenses won't be an issue for the only family I have left--2 nephews. I do have a lot of "stuff" though and it's going to be a difficulty for my Will Administrator if I don't get rid of some of it.

I am doing traveling (2 tours this summer and probably at least one next summer) and am active in my church choir.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
At age 60, and given my family history I'm in the time frame. I intend to work as long as I can. 3 years ago the plan was at least to 67. Given my reduction in output in those last three years its going to be a tough to make 65, and I guess I'll go part time for as long as I can after that. I already have what I need right now. Loving wife and healthy kids. The only selfish bone in my body is please don't let me live long enough to bury one of the afore mentioned.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Two things come to mind:
1) Teach your children well. My primary focus (regardless of how long is left) is to teach my kids to think critically, make up their own minds, and be good humans.

2) Second focus is to try to build the ranch into something that will throw off income for generations to come and allow those who come after to pursue their passions. Don’t want to create any trust fund babies, but would like to structure things so that the resources are there to help those who help themselves.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I'm just concerned with what I leave my wife with. I have a great 401K that would pay off the mortgage. My bills are at a point where they could be paid off too!
Everything else is a minor point. She would be probably better off with me dead than live! (subjective) Children will have few options as everything (with a few exceptions) will be left to my wife!
I'm living the way I want to live: not making any changes to my lifestyle! Go to the gym 3-4 days/wk, watch what I eat (normally), and get regular medical checkups as required. I'm not afraid of dying.... just waiting for it!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Report This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed with a blood and bone marrow cancer 6 years ago.
The first thing I did was sort out my personal finances so that my wife would be as financially set as possible. I also did what I could to help out my kids in their situations. All investments were set up in low risk accounts. I sold off most of my gun collection and much of my personal effects that I had accumulated but not used in some time.
I then spent as much time as I could with my parents, kids and family. I organized holidays and trips and helped cover the costs. In the end I just enjoyed life more and had fun helping family out when they needed it.
To date I have not suffered any debilitating symptoms but I know it’s just a matter of time.
Ironically my son who had never really had any interest in guns has become a real collector of military surplus because of our time together and unfortunately I sold off my collection years ago!

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1496 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If I died today, my family would be ok. My wife still has her highest earning days ahead of her, and we've been saving aggressively as a side effect of being cheap as fuck for years now.

If I had 10-15 years left, I'd work a little less hard and spend more time with the family. 10-15 is still a pretty long timeline to sock away a bigger nest egg for the baby girl, so I'd still work--but I would definitely shift my focus to making sure that my daughter will have fond memories of me when I leave her at age 11-16.

If I only had 1-3 years left, I would probably just quit my job and work on writing everything down for my daughter. A lifetime of letters, teachings, and stories. Maybe a novel or something I could leave her as well.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen any of my relatives in nearly 40 years, no children, no debts, girlfriend can take care of herself and the cats.

It would be cool to go out like Cat Shannon in Dogs of War -- a final act that would be both worth-while and an act of defiance/

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9167 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I would do but have been thinking about it a lot lately. I'm 57 but lost three friends around my age in last couple of years (and I don't have many). Helped my mother and brother through lung cancer treatments and surgeries recently. Then two nights ago went to dinner with some friends and saw how quickly early onset Alzheimer's can fuck up any plans you thought you have.
It's funny how I have a friend who is a few years older than me and he is building a huge gun collection and seems to buy more stuff he doesn't need and all I can think about is downsizing and making my life simpler as I get older. The one thing I do know is that I would work and try fix any wrongs I did so that I could leave this earth with as few regrets as possible.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. For those of you in this type of situation or looking at passing even sooner than that, you're in my prayers.

quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Getting right with God.

This has been done. First.

There's so much I want to say, but I'm not going to. This probably isn't the right place for it. I think I'll leave it there. Thank you.

Posts: 17192 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm probably there. We are financially okay enough that we are okay in retirement, so I am not worried about debt or working more.

I have no complaints, nothing left undone, and I cannot go back and undo things that went awry. I would like to do something useful in the time I have left. I want the kids to remember me as someone who gave more than he took.

I have to find whatever that is I can still do for some useful purpose. I know it is more than just giving out free advice and lamenting that the country has gone to hell in a handcart. I don't have a good answer to your question, but I am looking for one with a sense of urgency.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Locked at the OP's request

Posts: 107697 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post