SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Long guns into Maryland?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long guns into Maryland? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I'm pretty sure Maryland doesn't want me bringing a handgun into the state in my travels, but I'm wondering today about shotguns.

A friend has invited The Lovely Girlfriend and me to a sporting clays event in Maryland and said, "use our guns or bring your own, whichever you'd prefer."

Naturally, the easy choice is to use theirs and not worry about transporting anything. I don't know yet, though, if the group's offerings include a short length-of-pull gun that TLG could use. So I figured we could take hers, but I need to learn more about possible restrictions/issues before doing so.

I'll admit that I haven't done the requisite "Googling" yet. Truly, I figured I'd get a better answer here, and probably quicker.

Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13908 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
So long as you are going to a "legitimate" firearms function like shooting on a range.

The gun needs to be unloaded, in a locked case, with ammo in a separate case with both in the vehicle such that the occupants cannot readily access the firearms or ammo.

You need to drive straight to the range, shoot, and return to Virginia. You cannot legally deviate from this (e.g., to go shopping while en route into or out of Maryland).

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32053 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
the federal statute is 18USC926a

It actually works for all forearms, if you legally possess on both ends of the trip. Given that, several jurisdictions(NY State as an example) refuse to follow the law and requyire that the individual sue to get their guns back.

quote:
18USC926a

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2459 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
So long as you are going to a "legitimate" firearms function like shooting on a range.

Check.

quote:
The gun needs to be unloaded, in a locked case, with ammo in a separate case with both in the vehicle such that the occupants cannot readily access the firearms or ammo.

Can do.

quote:
You need to drive straight to the range, shoot, and return to Virginia. You cannot legally deviate from this (e.g., to go shopping while en route into or out of Maryland).

Um... maybe problematic. We're set to visit friends on the way, and will have a couple of overnights during the trip.

quote:
Originally posted by car541:
the federal statute is 18USC926a

It actually works for all forearms, if you legally possess on both ends of the trip. Given that, several jurisdictions(NY State as an example) refuse to follow the law and require that the individual sue to get their guns back.

quote:
18USC926a

And thank you for the statute.

This looks like taking our own will be a mild challenge, at best. I'll ask to borrow the group's guns.

Thank you both. I do appreciate your help.

God bless America.

Posts: 13908 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I stopped going to a friend of a friend's farm in MD to shoot because of the new dumb rules. Can't even stop to use the bathroom, get food, etc after we shoot.

MD gets zero revenue or taxes from me if I can help it as a result.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I stopped going to a friend of a friend's farm in MD to shoot because of the new dumb rules. Can't even stop to use the bathroom, get food, etc after we shoot.

MD gets zero revenue or taxes from me if I can help it as a result.

are you shooting MD legal (as in not on the MD bad gun list) firearms or just generic (fuddy) guns?

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post