Please delete Login/Join 
posted
Please delete

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigeinkcmo,

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Sanibel/Captiva. But we're rapidly approaching the high season and traffic can be... frustrating for such little islands.

There is plenty to do, however.

ETA: Missed the bit about already being booked into Tampa. Not sure you want the 2.5 hour drive to Sanibel. It's much easier to fly into Ft. Myers if that's where you're headed.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16278 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is north of us by a bit- so what we found was a TV show and website of things to do in FL, called How to do Florida He seems to focus on the Tampa/Bradenton areas and we did the Daiken Dairy with our kids and loved it. He doesn't over-hype, just gives good recommendations. Check out what he has to say.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I believe Estero River Outfitters rents kayaks and paddleboards. They are south of Ft Myers.
You can rent canoes at Myakka River State Park and see a lot of big alligators. There is a short hiking trail with a 25 foot high rope bridge and a 75 foot high tower.
There is a kayak trail and rentals at Ft. Desoto plus two fishing piers and nice beaches.
The Tampa Bay Port Authority has a free boat tour of the port that leaves at 9am on Wednesday and Thursday from the Aquarium.
Rent mountain bikes and go mountain biking at Alafia River State Park. No, really. Mountain biking in Florida.
Caspersen Beach or Nikomis Beach for sharks teeth.
Dakin Dairy has a neat tour.
The Mound House on Ft Myers Beach is interesting.
Edison and Ford Estates in Ft Myers.

Posts: 11106 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Siesta key is fun place. Plenty of good eats within walking distance at Siesta village.

Posts: 13828 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anna Maria Island and Clearwater Beach might be worth a visit.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget Sarasota and St Armand. Lido Beach is there. One of the finest beaches in the world.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'll second the suggestion of Sanibel Island. What a beautiful piece of Florida.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Weeki watchee mermaid show was cool as a youngster....

google it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11325 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

https://www.florida-backroads-...-grande-florida.html

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Lowery Park Zoo used to be a dump. Over the years it has been refurbished and is a really, really nice zoo. The one handed (pawed) shit throwing gorilla is long gone though, sorry.Big Grin

There is also Busch Gardens for the touristy/theme park part of the vacation. I wouldn't stray to far away from Busch Gardens though. It has shady areas only a few blocks away.

Not too far from Busch Gardens is the Museum of Scince and Industry, MOSI, it has a lot of hands on things for the kiddos and the parents enjoy it too.

You can schedule a lunch with Jehzsa to sample some Peruvian Fruit Bat. Eek Smile

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Weeki Wachee Gardens or maybe Crystal River for a relaxing Old Florida vacation. You could kayak, hire a guide for inshore fishing, go the the mermaid show, drink and eat, rent a pontoon boat and the list goes on. Just a short drive north from Tampa.

If you want more amenities then maybe Clearwater Beach. Some very good restaurants and bars over there. An awesome cigar bar if you smoke. Dolphin tours, parasailing, fishing, sunset tours are all available.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Sanibel Ft Myers are hugely congested year round. I left Sanibel after 35 years because of it and in any contact with those still there the topic always comes up in a negative way. From 2005-2007.5 100,000 people moved to Lee County
Check for red tide before you go, unlikely in cooler weather.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1090 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLhiker:
Anna Maria Island and Clearwater Beach might be worth a visit.

Love Anna Maria, my kids rent a waterfront condo every year and enjoy it.

Posts: 3856 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
How did Sanibel come through Irma? I remember being worried about that part of FL and having been there once, I didn't recall Sanibel having much high ground.

Posts: 15052 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Irma made landfall to the South and stayed East of the island.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1090 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Airboat ride is always cool. East of Orlando is good. Everglades and Collier county probably good. Not sure of anything near Tampa. Alligators and wild, natural Florida. Something the girls SHOULD see in their lifetime.

Florida springs are really cool swimming holes to check out. Rock Springs and Blue Springs near Orlando are excellent. Several north near Ocala are nice too. Buy a pool noodle at Wal-Mart for everyone, or you will get tired, even strong swimmers.

Kennedy Space Center visitors center a good trip for all, East of Orlando.

Venice is a dump. Boca Grande is a jewel. I'd definitely take the girls to Boca Grande beach for a day. Beautiful, wonderful place. Siesta Beach has the nicest sand beach in the world, nice place, but crowded.

Posts: 6666 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Can you fly in to Sarasota??
It is right their for Siesta Key and Lido. He have had a place in Sarasota since I was a kid so have done about everything in the area and my favorite is still Myakka River State Park a little bit inland but it is a cool place and the air boat tours are a lot of fun.
Lots of gators! I have not become brave enough to kyak or paddle board it yet but many do.

Breakfast you must eat at the Blue Dolphin Cafe in St. Armand’s Circle

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25486 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naples would be my #1 go to spot for a number of reasons. Beautiful water, restaurants, shopping, beaches, area.

Sanibel and Captiva are very nice also but less to do. Clearwater is nice also. Ft. Myers beach is nice IF you like things more rustic I guess.

WHATEVER you do, stay clear of MAD beach (Madeira Beach), it's full of crack heads.

Posts: 21337 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Anna Maria Island is like Florida 40 years ago, other than the traffic. No high rises or chain restaurants. Egmont Key is a great day trip for snorkeling and hiking.

Posts: 396 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post