SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need ideas for surrounding a concrete patio for protection and appearance.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need ideas for surrounding a concrete patio for protection and appearance. Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Pics linked below show the issue. This slab was poured a year ago and the soil has settled around it more than expected. Looking for creative ideas for how to deal with this.

I really don’t want to bring the grass up to level, partly because that would be a PITA and require recontouring well out into yard to look and cut right. Also don’t want to chew up a lot of space with a contained dirt area with plants.

I’d consider using medium sized rock with metal or plastic edging to contain, but still end up with outer edge of that looking like crap. Need some containment if going with rocks, etc to keep from lawnmower slinging any drifting rocks into back of house which is practically a wall of glass.

I’ve considered tetrapods for creative and permanent solution but can find any small enough. Did stumble across a site on making your own from plastic shot glasses which is cool, but probably too big.

Any ideas here? Confused

Link to pics. Included in post they were YUGE!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
That would drive me crazy. And I’d wind up getting a load of sand to grade it to make it even, it’s a trip hazard for me, (I drag my foot due to my stroke).

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Idea #1:
Planting bed around the concrete to extend into yard that you can angle outwards from the patio to ground level to eliminate the "step".
pull up grass about 1-1/2 feet from concrete, add topsoil, relay grass sod to eliminate step
place weed stop fabric on grass and add rock around concrete edge to eliminate step
mixture of the above

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I would put in a metal edging and add whatever color rock would go with the color of your house.

This is similar situation.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Our neighbor just did this, he had a much more prounces difference because of yard slope, at first they brought dirt up, which I thought looked fine, they ended up putting medium stones in a couple feet away and filling it in with dirt and mulch and plants, both looked fine.

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I would put in a metal edging and add whatever color rock would go with the color of your house.

This is similar situation.

wife and I will do something similar but likely with mulch, and a few small plants,

slate as a stepping stone to go out in the yard,

we had a small ( 6") border of river rock down, that even tho we had the weed barrier, got over ran by grass/weed,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Edging and Asiastic or confederate jasmine?

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd just add topsoil to the first 3' and make it a nice slope with grass on it to meet the rest of the grade.......I think the height is good for drainage.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd just add topsoil to the first 3' and make it a nice slope with grass on it to meet the rest of the grade.......I think the height is good for drainage.

Exactly! You can’t lower the patio but as Jimmy pointed out, you can bring the lawn up to meet it. Just make the slope enough that it’s not a tripping hazard like he suggests and you’re good. If you plan on being there awhile it will always look good with just a simple mowing plus you can walk onto and off of the patio from your back yard without limitation plus you won’t end up with paths eventually worn into the lawn at limited access points.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P210 and Jimmy have it exactly right.

While you said you didn’t want to bring the lawn up, in the end it will be the easiest to maintain if you do.
Everything else will take ongoing work to keep it looking good. Cutting grass up to the edge of the patio will be easiest.

As far as doing the job, I would put down some small (1/2 -3/4”) stone for fill and grade it. Then come back with top soil. Grade that. Generously spread seed. Cover it all with straw, maybe 4-6” deep.
Doing it this way you’ll do it once.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yeah, y'all are right.

Dammit

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
If you’re lazy & patient, you could do it by adding sand a little bit at a time. Somewhere between 1/2” and 1” and the grass will grow up through it. Once the grass is good to go again, add another lift. Rinse and repeat until you have the grade where you want it.

I don’t have the patience. I’d figure out where I wanted the grade, cut out the lawn in that area (if I could peel it up like sod and reuse, that would be great, but it would be a first if it came up nicely), bring in the topsoil, make grade, *compact*, fine tune grade, then lay down sod (either the existing if I was lucky, or new if not). It is more work this way, but it is done quicker, is more predictable, and plays better with my lack of patience.

Of course the sprinklers would be in the wrong place, so there’d be some work tuning them up too. Sigh, fun and games...

Posts: 7098 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post