SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mantle hangers/hooks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mantle hangers/hooks Login/Join 
posted
Is it me or do Command Hooks just don't perform as advertised?

Came down this AM (Merry Christmas everyone BTW!) and 2/3 of the stockings not only fell down, but several of them pulled paint off the fireplace mantle(!) Who uses fireplace mantle hangers or, hooks?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Never had a lot of luck with command adhesives for anything that has any weight. We use something similar to these, no adhesive, just weight.
https://www.amazon.com/BIRDROC...Y2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
We use something similar to these, no adhesive, just weight.

Yep...except mine are bronze.

Posts: 650 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Never had a lot of luck with command adhesives for anything that has any weight. We use something similar to these, no adhesive, just weight.
https://www.amazon.com/BIRDROC...Y2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

That's what I had in mind, probably a set of four decorative ones and another four of plain ones since we need eight

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Our daughter booked up, put up command hooks on our fireplace mantle last night, and they are still up. However, there wasn’t a lot of weight in the stockings.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Came down this AM (Merry Christmas everyone BTW!) and 2/3 of the stockings not only fell down, but several of them pulled paint off the fireplace mantle(!) Who uses fireplace mantle hangers or, hooks?
Sounds to me like the problem is more with your paint than the hooks!

Posts: 6485 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My wife bought a set of weighted stocking holders similar to those mentioned above except it spelled out PEACE. She put too much in one stocking so it still fell off but this one hit the hearth and broke both the hook and the letter off the weight.

The moral to the story is the weighted ones work well but not THAT well and PACE just doesn’t carry quite the same meaning.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Sounds to me like the problem is more with your paint than the hooks!

That's another story regarding the painters I hired two months ago Mad