SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy hell is it hot and dry out west.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy hell is it hot and dry out west. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
This feels like scorch the earth period in our existence. No relief in sight, only worse. Sorry but this sucks big time. Older I get, worse it is. Give me snow and cold all year long. Please.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy hell is it hot and dry out west.

How Hot and dry is it?

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'll trade you my hot and humid for your hot and dry.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Hi nineties and smokey. Wild fires are a real worry. It certainly could be worse and I know others are suffering worse. You guys all know I absolutely hate summer. Just know that we are miserable together for another month or better. Hang tough fellas Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
Hopefully some relief may be on the way.

The Southwest is finally getting an increase in moisture as the monsoon arrives this week.

Showers and thunderstorms already developed in parts of the Four Corners earlier this week from a trough of low pressure that nudged into the region from the Plains.

To the south of the trough, moisture is also being pulled in from the Gulf of Mexico and slung westward across parts of California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico.

In addition, low level moisture from the former Hurricane Enrique, which is tracking northward in the eastern Pacific near Baja California, will also stream into the Southwest, enhancing the chance for rainfall.
The increased moisture from those sources will result in afternoon rains, especially in higher terrain. No widespread rainfall is expected, but scattered showers and thunderstorms are expected.

Wednesday could be the most active thunderstorm day in southern Arizona, but the chance of storms will continue through the rest of the week. Strong, gusty outflow winds could also contribute to blowing dust in the deserts of Arizona.

This renewed plume of moisture comes just a week after the wet season began in areas like Phoenix, which recorded its first rainfall in almost two months on Wednesday. Phoenix measured 0.17 inches of rainfall Wednesday. That is well above the average of 0.02 inches for Phoenix in June, which is typically the driest month there.

Any moisture in the Southwest is a welcome sight during this long-term and slowly worsening drought.

Last year, the monsoon never arrived and rainfall during the typically wetter months was well below average. The non-soon resulted in the worst category of drought developing by mid-September 2020.

Weather.com

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Good thing is I finally found out my car has heated seats.
What sucks is they only work in the summer...

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll also trade you the high humidity heat for your dry heat. After 10 years in Vegas the Midwest humidity absolutely kills me. Only 84 out tonight but we just came home from dinner out and it's freaking miserable outside.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
It’s not hot until you can use your seatbelt buckle for a branding iron.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
We call it July.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Pretty scary how close Paradise, CA came to burning down a second time.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I read where Dubai is using drones to deliver electric shocks into clouds. It's been giving them monsoonal rain.

I think we need to use that around here this summer.

High 90s/low 100s without one drop of rain for over a month. Fuck this! A couple of days in August I can tolerate, but when it starts in June and doesn't stop, we've got issues.

My garden is mostly dead and my lawn is mostly dead. I've had it.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
It’s not hot until you can use your seatbelt buckle for a branding iron.

Gospel truth right there.

ORC, where are you? By your posts, I keep thinking Idaho or Oregon.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

^^^^^
Deal. After living in Korea, I've lived in both and I prefer humidity to dry.

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
We've gotten more rain in Phoenix in the last two days than in the last year. I had forgotten what it was like to not be hot all the time. Now it's cool and humid.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot and humid here in KC.
I am a sweater and have to change boots every day.
I'm soaked in sweat from the top of my head to between my toes lately.
I'm going to where I can get as dry as possible.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
We were in Vegas the week of the 9th. Half that week was above 110. The breeze felt hotter than the still air. It was like sticking your head in a oven.

Conversely back here in PA it hasn’t been too bad the past few weeks.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Pretty scary how close Paradise, CA came to burning down a second time.

That region has been under siege for the last 4-years now, Oroville and Chico continue to be the gathering areas and the residents are at their wits end. 18,000 acres were consumed just yesterday as the fire lines march towards Lake Almanor.
Last week, the Lake Tahoe region had 90+ degree temps for 3-straight weeks; while hot Summers were common place in the past, 90F temps would come and go, instead they're now persistent and lingering.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

This ^^^^^^

Right now is the "coolest" it has been in a long time. It's 77° but the feel like temperature is 87° and there is zero, as in no air movement at all.

Just came in from the evening walk with the pup, not a dry stich of clothing, and as soon as we got in the pup pancaked out on the hardwood floor.

It's so hazy, you could cut the air. The other day in the morning was 82° but it felt like 98°. You sweat and between the high humidity and NO movement of air, you can't cool off and you stew in your own juices.

Can't wait until next week when it's going to get back to the high 90's, that ought to make work so much fun! Driving an unair-conditioned school bus should be awesome.

Yeah, I'll take hot and dry any day!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 80 and Sunny here in Seattle metro. However, it's dry as a bone. Most of Central and eastern Washington is hot and parched but here in Seattle, the weather has been moderate the last two weeks.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I write this its 70 with a dew point of 50. We have had pretty good summer so far. Had some soaking rains yesterday but could stand some more.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post