SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We are going back to our first love - steel cut oats.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are going back to our first love - steel cut oats. Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have seen the brand name "Zojirushi" quite a few times here on the forum, but never looked at any of their products.

83v45magna's post, above, prompted me to look at the product.

I did a search for "Zojirushi" on Amazon and found some of the brand's products.

Now, before you look at it, make sure that you are sitting in a very stable chair. Or, better yet, sit on the floor so that you don't have very far to fall.

Here's the product. A device that will heat four liters (just a few ounces over one gallon) of water. Got that? Heat a gallon of water. That's it, just a water heater with a four liter capacity.

The bargain price is ONLY $174.18, and if you order it right away, it will be delivered to you by Tuesday.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...M4H6MZQNMSWY3CHWX79N

I was shopping for a rice cooker a few years ago. David Troung suggested this brand. I bought one. It’s perfect. Yes, it’s pricy but it’s the last one you’d have to buy.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Expensive? Maybe, but we use it 3-5 times a week for oats, rice (as a side), one pot meals, etc. When I consider all our other cooking gadgets that don't get used (crock pot, electric frying pan, electric griddle, etc.) it was a bargain. Yes there are cheaper rice cookers on the market but I returned the Cuisinart one she gave me Christmas (with permission, of course) and bit the bullet. Money well spent.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
when i used to eat this, the thermos method worked well.

Thermos Cooking Basics

edit: carb content is too high for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Heck, real men just eat them raw!

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
We started out with steel cut oats, but cooking on the stove top takes a while and needs to be stirred. For the past year it’s been rolled oats zapped for 2 minutes in the microwave.
We really prefer the steel cut oats and someone suggested soaking overnight. Bingo!
For two generous servings, 3/4 cup of oats boiled in a little less than three cups of water for ONE minute then taken off the heat, covered and left alone all night will be ready for you to have your way with it.
I place some frozen blueberries in the bottom of a bowl, give the oats a good stir then ladle the oats over the fruit and zap it for 2 minutes on high to thaw the fruit and warm the oats.
We’re back in business.
I bought a rice cooker thinking it would do the job with the steel cut oats, but got many Beancooker style messes before giving up. Big Grin
Ill have to try that. I liked oatmeal as a kid. But the stuff today doesn't seem to cook properly. Consistency is wierd. What did they change? When I was a kid my folks bought plain old Quaker oatmeal in the round container. Always had a creamy texture. Todays whether I buy the quick or regular just doesn't seem to fully cook. Very rough and kind of course no matter how we cook it.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Heck, real men just eat them raw!

Actually, I do eat rolled oats dry (uncooked). I like them best that way – a rather nut-like flavor. Doesn’t hurt that prep and cleanup are negligible, but that’s not my motive.

As mentioned above, I do eat porridge, but make it with oat groats.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I like my steel-cut oats on the creamy side. I use an 8-quart Instant Pot.

1 cup of Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oats
3 cups of milk
pinch of salt

Place water and trivet in the pot. Place oats and milk in a slightly smaller heat-proof bowl and place in the IP. Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes. Cool. I now have four servings of oats.

Posts: 9054 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea! Haven’t made steel cut oats in a long time. Used to add a bit of vanilla extract and maple syrup or brown sugar to the mix. Also some milk, not just water. Then add some blueberries...I have never tried the “over night-method” either.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
I have seen the brand name "Zojirushi" quite a few times here on the forum, but never looked at any of their products.

83v45magna's post, above, prompted me to look at the product.

I did a search for "Zojirushi" on Amazon and found some of the brand's products.

Now, before you look at it, make sure that you are sitting in a very stable chair. Or, better yet, sit on the floor so that you don't have very far to fall.

Here's the product. A device that will heat four liters (just a few ounces over one gallon) of water. Got that? Heat a gallon of water. That's it, just a water heater with a four liter capacity.

The bargain price is ONLY $174.18, and if you order it right away, it will be delivered to you by Tuesday.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr...M4H6MZQNMSWY3CHWX79N
I was shopping for a rice cooker a few years ago. David Troung suggested this brand. I bought one. It’s perfect. Yes, it’s pricy but it’s the last one you’d have to buy.
Yeah, I could maybe see that for a rice cooker, if you cook rice fairly frequently, and you want it done "just right," and this brand is head and shoulders above the others.

BUT, I was not referencing a rice cooker. The thing that I linked to on the Amazon site does nothing but heat water. It heats 4 liters (just a few ounces more than a gallon) of water, and it only costs $175.00. To heat one gallon of water.

I forget how much I paid for the last water heater I bought for the house, but it heats forty gallons. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30700 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a rice cooker like the one at this Link. Mine is about 9-10 years old now so it has different colors, but is the same model number. We've done steel cut oats about 2 dozen times in it, but it mostly just makes different rices and it does everything better, faster and more consistently than we can do in the time honored ways. It was money well spent for us.

We do have a 'water heater' like above, but it's a Rosewill brand I got at Newegg.com for $39. Gets used several times a day usually.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Wife made these and had them for the first time this weekend - loved it.

Posts: 22924 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We have a Zogirushi coffee maker and bread machine. Both have been outstanding.

Tried Irish steel cut oats oats one time. Just didn’t like them. I’ll admit I didn’t soak them overnight; maybe that helps.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If you guys haven't ever tried a good dollop of canned whole berry cranberry sauce on top of a nice steaming bowl of steel cut oats, you need to try it. It's great!

Posts: 33830 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post