SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EDC pocket flashlight recommendation needed. Ordered a Fenix E12, thanks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDC pocket flashlight recommendation needed. Ordered a Fenix E12, thanks. Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Need a quality pocket flashlight. I’ve got a surefire backup that I’ve had for several years but I want something not so fat. Any ideas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Fenix E12

Great little light, tough and dependable.
Takes a single AA battery.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Fenix LD12 is what I carry. I carried one for about 5 years and recently upgraded to the newest LD12 which is much brighter.

https://www.amazon.com/LD12-Ta...&keywords=Fenix+LD12

or if you want something smaller the Fenix E12 that mod29 mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/E12-fla...ords=Fenix+e12&psc=1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4524 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been happy with:
1) Surefire G2X Pro (but a little big for pocket)
2) Streamlight Protac 1L-AA. Plenty bright, dual fuel (AA and CR123) and fits pocket well
3) Streamlight Microstream Ultracompact. Less bright than #2 but enough for a small room. And unnoticeable in the pocket.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The Fenix pd22 is what I use.

The Streamlight Stylus pen lights are also pretty slick.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Is it necessary for it to be tiny? What battery option is your preference? Take a long hard look at Zebralight; they are hands down the best factory offering on the market for UI and build quality. They make lights for AA, CR123, and 18650’s. I just bought the SC62, which takes 18650 li-ion rechargeable batteries that puts out 1000 lumens on high and is about the size of an adult male index finger. Email me, and I will send you a real world pic or two.

http://www.zebralight.com

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Fenix E12

this is my choice as well. I also have a few little E01's if I want something really small.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Streamlight Stylus Pros are also good and inexpensive - less than $20 usually.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The Fenix pd22 is what I use.

The Streamlight Stylus pen lights are also pretty slick.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4337 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SureFire Sidekick Ultra-Compact Triple-Output Keychain Light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0177H4S5Q/

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I actually just now bought this:

Streamlight 66118 Stylus Pro LED PenLight with Holster, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...cp_taa_KKxSAbD13Z4NQ

Takes 2 AAA batteries. They also have a rechargeable usb model but i wanted one with batteries. It's not a tactical flashlight and only 90 lumens but perfect for a pocket light for when you just need a light. $18.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Fenix E12

this is my choice as well. I also have a few little E01's if I want something really small.

This

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Streamlight fan and have been carrying them for double digit years on duty and also overseas.

I was kind of disappointed/pissed about the Pro Tac I bought because it would not work and I sent it back and they sent me another piece of crap.

I was looking for a new company to try so I have been carrying the Pelican 1910 and 1920.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Streamlight Microstream, AAA, small but not too small, two settings: On/Off.

I have a slightly fancier Streamlight that I carry in my shirt pocket at work, but the Microstream is what I carry when I'm off and not planning on needing a light.

My brother gave me both of them, the Microstream probably 4 or 5 years ago. Still carry it every day and it simply WORKS.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Olight

S1R single CR123

S2R two CR123 (18650)

Get the (R) models for the recharging capabilities and you'll find yourself using the light more often.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I actually just now bought this:

Streamlight 66118 Stylus Pro LED PenLight with Holster, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...cp_taa_KKxSAbD13Z4NQ

Takes 2 AAA batteries. They also have a rechargeable usb model but i wanted one with batteries. It's not a tactical flashlight and only 90 lumens but perfect for a pocket light for when you just need a light. $18.

I carry the one AAA battery version of this everyday. I don’t know it’s product #. Great little light. Supper small and skinny. Forget about it in pocket sometimes.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thrunite AAA
Or Fenix LD12 if you want a tail switch & a bit more size.

I have both & the thrunite is what goes with me every day. The low is low enough & the high is more than bright enough. I'm an engineer & have to look into tight spots a lot. having something that doesn't get in the way or blind you because you have to leave it far away from your head is great.

Posts: 3298 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Streamlight ProTac 2L-X is a nice one, I've been carrying it for a couple months. Fits in the back pocket nicely, has a good clip, and the entire body of the light is a hair over 1" diameter.

I guess this is a "tactical" light. Hold the button for momentary on, or press it in deep to click it. You really have to dig your thumb tip into it to get it to click, which I think is a great design. Look into it, they can be found for around $40.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried my Fenix e15 in my pocket everyday for the last 2-3 years. It is super handy to have a flashlight available whenever I need one. It is a little bit bigger around than the single CR123A it runs off of, and about twice as long. Great little flashlight.

https://www.amazon.com/E15-ver...5&keywords=fenix+e15

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
When I'm on a crawl, or sometimes carried just in case, a Surefire Titan on a lanyard is around my neck. Got it on the 50% off sale a couple years ago. Not sure if I'd spend that kind of money again, but a couple years ago, I never hesitated on stuff like this light. AAA, LED, low/high.

A few weeks or months ago on a headlamp thread someone posted a link to the headlamp I want but now I cannot find the thread. Rechargeable LED, USB connection, looked like a hardhat liner, the crossed plastic with adjustable rim which snaps inside a hardhat. The whole affair was very compact, close to the head. Perfect for a tight crawl under floors and dales. Anybody?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post