SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Casio Pro Trek alternatives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Casio Pro Trek alternatives Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I own a Casio Pro Trek PRG-370-1 Tough Solar watch that works well except for the temperature feature. If it’s sitting in a room for an extended period, it becomes close, but in the teens on a hike, it will say 50 degrees. I’m guessing it is picking up my body temperature, but hanging it on a strap didn’t help.

Could anyone suggest alternatives? I like digital solar watches in the Pro Trek or G-shock line because they run forever and are tough. The features I use the most are the compass and temperature, but the barometer and altimeter have also come in handy.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Keep the pro-trek. Buy a zipper-pull thermometer to leave on your pack or jacket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084...?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I don't think you can really get an accurate air temp from something that is worn against your skin.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I was going to post the exact same thing. You will never get an accurate temperature reading from a watch on your wrist.

I was going to suggest as well just getting an old school thermometer and wearing it on the outside of your jacket or pack.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30285 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
A simple fix that reminds me of Russians using a pencil in space.

I exchanged my first watch for another because so many reviews mentioned the accuracy of the temperature. One said to leave it on your wrist and adjust the temperature reading of the watch to match the air temperature of your surroundings. I’m not sure what that meant, though.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
...it will say 50 degrees. I’m guessing it is picking up my body temperature, but hanging it on a strap didn’t help.

50 degrees? I hope it's not picking up your body temp.

The manual says to hang it off your backpack. It also does work so well in direct sunlight. To check the accuracy, I'd put it in a glass of ice water with mostly ice. Should be 32 degrees. I believe the manual details a process for adjusting the temp if it isn't accurate.

No watch with temp will be accurate when worn.

Posts: 10803 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It's still inside the return window, so is there much of a difference between the G-Shock and Pro Trek models outside of toughness?

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
^^^I got that same watch for Christmas and I like it a lot. I never use the thermometer honestly.

Vs G-shock Pro Trek has the triple sensor with altimeter and compass. I also like that it does not have bluetooth, which the nicer g-shocks do. It doesn't have the radio clock sync, but the solar is great. G-shocks are also generally humongous. This one isn't small, but it is relatively slim and very light.

Posts: 5096 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
^^^I got that same watch for Christmas and I like it a lot. I never use the thermometer honestly.

Vs G-shock Pro Trek has the triple sensor with altimeter and compass. I also like that it does not have bluetooth, which the nicer g-shocks do. It doesn't have the radio clock sync, but the solar is great. G-shocks are also generally humongous. This one isn't small, but it is relatively slim and very light.

Thank you for the reply. It not having bluetooth was something I liked as well. The Pro Trek PRG-370-1 is a nice watch. It just seemed odd for it to have a feature that was so inaccurate.