SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    And...The Battle of Brisbane...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And...The Battle of Brisbane... Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
I didn't know this until recently. US troops stationed in Australia during WWII and Aussie troops, got into some serious fracas , called the Battle of Brisbane

The Battle of Brisbane was a riot between United States military personnel on one side and Australian servicemen and civilians on the other, in Brisbane, Queensland's capital city, on 26 and 27 November 1942, during which time the two nations were allies. By the time the violence had been quelled, one Australian soldier was dead and hundreds of Australians and U.S. servicemen had been injured.[1] News reports of these incidents were suppressed overseas, with the causes of the riot not made evident in the few newspaper reports of the event that were published within Australia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brisbane

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was the saying the Brits had about US troops in the UK during WWII
Over sexed, over fed and over here

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Overpaid, oversexed, and over here.

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That Wikipedia article mentions that:

"...U.S. military uniforms were seen as more appealing than those of the Australians..."

What makes that statement interesting is that some US servicemembers stationed in Australia, namely the members of the 1st Marine Division, actually ended up adopting Australian battledress uniform jackets, due to both a lack of availability of US uniforms as well as an attempt at making themselves stand out amongst other US servicemembers.

These became known among Marines as the "Vandegrift jacket", after Major General Alexander Vandegrift, commanding officer of the 1st Marine Division.

A few years later, that Austrialian-style uniform was formally adopted in 1945 and became standard issue across the whole Marine Corps, continuing in use by the Corps through the early 1960s:

So the supposedly "less appealing" Aussie uniform was preferred, and eventually adopted as standard, by the USMC.

Posts: 33036 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t watched the mini-series The Pacific, there’s an episode or two dealing with our troop’s experiences being R&R’ed in Australia. It’s an interesting little saga in our shared history. For instance, one of our country’s first serial killers was a serviceman who got caught murdering Australian women while he was billeted there.

The Australians I know amuse me to no end and I can talk to them for hours and they won’t quit, so I’m glad we have a good kinship with that country and those people. But boy, did WWII go a ways towards straining that in a lot of ways.

Posts: 17618 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Overpaid, oversexed, and over here.

The American response: “Undersexed, underpaid, and under Ike.”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've heard that to this day, Australian women find the American accent sexy.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post