SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    State of the Union address
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State of the Union address Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
The practice arises from a duty of the President under the State of the Union Clause of the U.S. Constitution:

He shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.
— Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There won’t be one this year past some pre-taped, carefully edited 10 minute video given by Joey Two Mask.

I cannot even imagine that guy standing there live and unsupervised for 90 minutes, can you? Roll Eyes

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don’t think he will give one. It will simply showcase to everyone what a demented old racist he is and the networks will have no choice but to carry it.

He’s not even calling world leaders. He is leaving that up to the whore.

Posts: 53849 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
90 minutes is a long time to stand there and sound/look like a leader...

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I hear there may not be one due to an unspecified threat by white supremecists

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1735 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Dems are already saying they fear 'right wing extremists' will use the SOTU Address to attack the Capitol. It gives them a perfect excuse to avoid us seeing sleepy joe bumble incoherently and soil himself on live tv, while blaming the 'right wing extremist' bogey man as the reason. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The SOTU never should have turned into the scripted TV pageant it has become. The POTUS can just have his staff write up a thick report no one else will read and have it couriered over to the Capitol.

There's more beef in the real seven minutes of of a four hour tv football game than in a SOTU address.

But as for security concerns, that's total BS. That whole place is more locked down for the SOTU than it is for an inauguration. After all, the only people who need to be there are the elected officials and a handful of guests. So well under 1000 non-security people at most.

Posts: 3691 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I thought there wasn't one in a new President's first term.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It says something if our elected officials fear their constituents that much.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
So they're afraid that a bunch of white guys are going to try and attack a ... white guy?

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
He's under no constitutional duty to "show up" he can send a letter if he wants.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's under no constitutional duty to "show up"

The left often talks about precedent. Everybody else showed their tax returns, why not Trump?

Well....every other President has addressed Congress on TV going back decades. Why not Biden?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
He is probably moderately aware that he isn’t even a legitimate President. He’s been a fraud his whole sorry existence. He is the epitome of weakness.

Posts: 53849 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
He's under no constitutional duty to "show up"

The left often talks about precedent. Everybody else showed their tax returns, why not Trump?

Well....every other President has addressed Congress on TV going back decades. Why not Biden?

I'm not saying he shouldn't, He doesn't have too. The President can't even call a "joint session" of Congress He's a guest.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

Correct.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:

Correct.

Where did this idea come from? Confused

President Trump delivered his first state of the union address on 28 February 2017, about a month after he was inaugurated and less than four months after he was elected in November 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._session_of_Congress

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correct.

You guys are getting caught up in the semantics and not the reality. All of our recent Presidents have addressed a joint session of Congress during their inauguration year without calling it a State Of The Union Address. They tend to only do that the following 3 years of their term (Kennedy didn't. He stated his first address was a SOTU).

What determines a "State Of The Union Address" is whether or not the President title it as such. If they say it is it is, if they don't say it is, it isn't. Doesn't change the fact that Trump did it, Obama did it, Bush did it, Clinton did it, etc. Where's Biden?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using your own links, I belief the above posters are correct. The speech given by a newly inaugurated President while it is a speech before the joint Congress is NOT considered a SOTU address. At least according to your own link.

I agree it sounds like semantics. I actually think going back to just sending a written report would be ok, probably better.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skip to the end.

The State of the Union is that we are F****D big time.

Posts: 1692 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
He’s busy plagiarizing as we type.

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post