SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I think I’ve turned a page (Getting prepared)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I’ve turned a page (Getting prepared) Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I’ve sold 2 dozen handguns, down to just a couple purpose driven pistols. Expanded my long guns, mostly purpose driven with spare 10/22, 12 gauge, and multiple spare ARs. One bolt gun, one big bore lever action. The only non-purpose firearms now are the two Garands.

I’ve sold most odds and ends I owned. Put together a get home bag for the car. It’s very simple, mostly sustenance. It’s not loaded with 12 mags and 4 guns.

I’ve built some pretty all purpose boxes for the truck. Tools, recovery gear, better jack, some duct tape, tarps, zip ties, all sensible stuff.

I’m practicing reloading on common calibers now, only buying .22 and 12 gauge.

Been canning and reducing store bought stuff. I still can’t harvest protein because of where we live but when I move to Wisconsin I think that will change.

Been running everyday, resting every 8th day. Doing yoga and Pilates as it really has helped my lower back a lot. Lost 20 pounds nearly, probably 20 more and I’ll add some calories to stop at 180 or so. Still not drinking.

Best of all, rather than buying more shit I’ve signed up for an intermediate pistol class on 13 July. And when I can catch their first aid class I’d like to attend it as well.

I’ve got 10 more years until I’m done working and move to a location somewhere to start my quasi off grid living, but I think I’m headed in the right direction. Another decade is a lot of time to learn more.

I’m feeling a lot better about everything. Gone from the guy with 50 guns, cases of ammo, and a bag of beans to actually semi-prepared. At least in mindset. When I get to Wisconsin I’ll likely start with some better food stores and learning means of preservation, but that’s down the road.

Anyone in or around Maryland have experience with Spartan firearms training group?

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a similar thing 5 years ago or so. I got the the point were I was accumulating more than using and if something happened to me I would be leaving my wife with a mess. If I wasn’t shooting it I got rid of it. I am now down to 3 calibers and really only miss one of the approximately 30 guns I sold.

I did the same with my other hobbies and basically simplified everything and when for more quality and way less quantity.

We are both working on our fitness 6 days a week and spending more time with family and taking more time away from work.

About the only thing I would really like to do that haven’t done is get a good water system at home so I’m not drinking the city garbage.

Luckily both of us hate clutter and my wife is not a shopper so our house is immaculate which I’ve noticed is excellent for your mental clarity. Not something I would have really thought of but when I go to others homes that are packed with stuff it actually wears on me.

Posts: 3993 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I don't think your quasi.

After meeting you, I was pretty sure you were going to end up where you intended, even though you didn't see the path before you.

Nice to see you're are still tracking that path.

같이 갑시다

(And maybe "mini meat" (miniature beef cattle) may be an option for self propelled protein.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44405 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Rapidly approaching 78 YO, I also need to get rid of a ton of stuff, Don’t know where to get started.
So many collections, firearms, reloading equipment, knives, ham radio, cameras, my late sisters’ doll collection.
Especially firearms. Safest would be to sell to a local dealer, but I would receive less than what they are worth. I just really don’t know how to get started.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 371 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I get older I " collect " less and try not to accumulate stuff that I'm pretty sure I will never need . I have thinned my gun collection down substantially and I'm at peace with it . I'm fortunate that there is a pretty active local gun forum and when I want to buy , sell , or trade something I can post it up there and make a face to face deal with somebody that's got a feedback rating through the forum so I know their legit .

Posts: 4234 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are well on the way, and better prepared than probably 95% of the population. We are probably about where you are...gardening, canning, tools and the knowledge to use them, generator, etc.

quote:
I still can’t harvest protein because of where we live

Do you know how to fish? That's pretty much legal everywhere and a lot more accessible. We mainly catch and release, but can clean 'em and cook 'em whenever we want. Hunting can be harder simply due to local laws and lack of access to a place to do it.

And if things get real bad, there's always "long pig". Big Grin

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Great progress OS. You’ve come a long way.

I’ll second the fishing prospects, especially if you move to Michigan.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
He said WISKONSIN!...not Michigan....

Just curious, what part of Wisconsin? The state is pretty divided into urban, boonies, and ultra-boonies!

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I’ll be working in Great Lakes, IL, so I’ll be just over the SE border. Kenosha to Salem area.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats J, especially on the losing weight, exercising and not drinking. all very cool.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
He said WISKONSIN!...not Michigan....

Just curious, what part of Wisconsin? The state is pretty divided into urban, boonies, and ultra-boonies!

My bad. My apologies to those of you who live in either of those states!Wink

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post