SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Office Chair Recommendation

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Office Chair Recommendation Login/Join 
posted
Recently my office chair became unusable.

I recall their being a discussion in the past about a specific brand desk chair, but while searching I have been unsuccessful in finding it.

I have sat in several different chairs but haven't found one that is really,really comfortable. What does the SIGforum recommend for a quality built rolling, height and other adjustments? She is 5'+ and I'm not Cool

I would rather pay for quality once.

Thank You in advance.

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Define "pay for quality".

The best office chairs approach or exceed $1K. Herman Miller's Aeron, for example, at $1,400 MSRP, give or take depending on model and options.

X-Chair is advertising heavily and seems to be really good by all accounts. Around $750 + options.

Buy a great chair used and save some coin.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I've had one for 11 years and I could sit in it all day.

Aeron with adjustable back support. You're going to get a lot of Aeron recommendations and for good reason. If you professionally sit all day, this an investment in your back, your productivity and well- being.

It's OK to close the thread.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

It's OK to close the thread.

Indeed. Here's where I got mine: http://www.sit4life.com/

If you suffer sticker shock - just pretend it's a SIG. (that you'll sit in for six hours a day)

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I found a serta on sale from 450 to 300. Been good for a few years now. I recommend going to the store and trying them out.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am posting this from an Aeron right now. Easily the most comfortable chair I have ever had, and I had my choice of pretty much any chair when the company purchased it for me, and I tested many of them.

That being said, know that there are different sizes, including widths, and getting the right size is crucial - even though I am not overweight (6'5" and 215lbs), I still needed the wide base, as the standard base was simply too narrow for my "wide hips". IIRC, there were also differences in height, etc. Try to find a place where you can test them out, but as said above, buy once, cry once. However, I will never be without one again, even if I have to purchase it on my dime next time.

posted Hide Post
Wow,

Ask a question and get so many good answers so quickly. I am looking at the Aerons right now on-line so I can find someplace that has them in stock to try. They are pricy but as I said I would rather spend more upfront and buy once,'

Thank you!

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 619 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Hancock & Moore chair that I love. It was great out of the box and is even better three years later.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Report This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
The Steelcase Leap chair is pretty awesome as well; however, it's hard to beat the Aeron.

That thing became the gold standard for desk chairs for a reason.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9156 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an Aeron at work and at home.

Our standard chair at work is the Herman Miller Mirra.

The Humanscale Freedom is a nice chair as well.

Chairs come in different sizes so a chair for a 5' tall person may not be a good chair for a linebacker sized person. Height is adjustable but the seat pan can be deeper, wider, etc. making the chair uncomfortable or unusable if it isn't sized properly.

Don't pay full retail list for the Aeron. You should be able to find it discounted. If you know somebody in the design business they often get discounts (think interior design or architect).

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Report This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with the HON brand. Been sitting in the one I am in now for 19 years.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Report This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I had Aeron chairs a couple of places I worked. When I got my own office, I bought a Herman Miller Embody chair.

Comparable price to the Aeron, I personally find it more comfortable (although the Aeron is also a very comfortable chair).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post