SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Modern sadness and media
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Modern sadness and media Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Imagine how much sadness you were aware of before media, including books. You were only aware of sad events you experienced and stories you were told. All media thrives on sad stories, it is said “sex sells” but so does sadness. An example I avoid is whenever innocent people die in tragic situations, we are shown their pictures and told the great parts of their lives. They always want you to get to know the strangers whose lives have been cut short.

We also read about and watch happy events also, but I’m afraid we might be better wired to be more negatively affected by sad events, than buoyed by happy events. Possibly it’s easier to feel the sad lows than the euphoria of happy events.

I’ll surmise we’re built to tolerate dozens or hundreds of sad events in a lifetime before media. Now we read, watch or listen to thousands of sad events, maybe every year. Probably the onslaught makes many less happy as a result.
 
Posts: 8282 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I've given up social media and pretty much all mainstream news and am much happier for it.




 
Posts: 11492 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The MSM has their marching orders, and unfortunately, those orders are focused on sadness, despair, hate and division.
 
Posts: 5562 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
There’s a certain dwell time I’ll spend on any amount of negative or sad news or events. Maybe it has been the study of Marcus Aurelius and the greats Stoics that has trained my brain to focus more on the things in my control. I do not think we are programmed for sadness I think we have been conditioned to it.

I’ll also say in the times before the media, it was routine for children to die young, spouse dying in childbirth, or to be widowed and forced to re-marry just to survive. There was always sadness and tragedy. Life is difficult filled with challenges we cannot control. I do not want to push this away from your stated points, but this western conditioning parallels the push away from God and religion.

Happiness is a choice based upon mental conditioning. Bad shit happens to good people but there’s no gain from dwelling too long. You move on or get stuck.


_________________________
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last” - Winston Churchil
 
Posts: 3380 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It gets reported because people buy it in one form or another, even if it’s just clicks that get tallied up to the source’s benefit. And when people are willing to buy something, someone will supply it to them. It’s no different than drugs: There would be no drug “problem” and no importation and sales of them if there were no buyers. And none of that is a modern media phenomenon. My local small town newspaper dates back to the 1870s and they regularly publish articles from a century or more. Many of them are about sad or tragic events.

Much of why people buy stories about sad or tragic things is the satisfaction or relief they get from thinking—even subconsciously—“I’m glad (or proud) that wasn’t me.”




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49958 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
True story; I just moved from CA to TN onto 36 acres. In the middle of the property is a hollow with some cleared land. The hollow creates a quiet, almost park like setting (to include the bugs feeding on tasty humans.

So the point is, I finally got around to measuring out how big the hollow clearing is. I figured 4-6 acres. Turns out it is just at 2 acres.

Sad about it? Sure, for about 12 hours but if I didn't know it was only 2 acres, would I still be happy with my life and clearing it out down there - yup!! and even happier now that the humidity has relaxed a bit and I can work down there.

So when i read the news and see sadness, regardless of its form, I pray a little prayer for the subject of the media article and move on with my life.






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



 
Posts: 15033 | Location: It was CA., Now it's "FREEEEEEDOM!!" (TN) | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Social media seems to encourage much of the hysteria we see on a regular basis.
Recent examples, Flock cameras & data center misinformation. Also, conspiracy theories, both old and new.
Half factual information seems to spread quickly and thrive there under online mob rule.


___________________________
Avoid buying ChiCom/CCP products whenever possible.
 
Posts: 10849 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Didn't Don Henley write a song about the phenomenon......
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Even worse, our brains aren't wired to grasp modern media replaying it over and over. As kids, we watch the same cartoon over and over even though we know how it ends. Something in our brain enjoys it almost as if it was novel each time. I believe it is the same with news stories. Every time they repeat a tragic story, to our brain it is as if multiple tragedies occurred, not just one.

We stopped watching the news years ago because of it. We avoid clicking links to tragic stories on online news sites.

Terrible things happen all the time everywhere. It doesn't enhance my life to know about them.
 
Posts: 11496 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If it bleeds, it leads. Been that way forever with the MSM.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 17807 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I just lost my Mother in law this morning. I found I can’t watch the news. I just don't see anything but bad news. And our country seems to be invaded by crazy people in politics wanting to tear down everything.
 
Posts: 617 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Happiness is a choice based upon mental conditioning. Bad shit happens to good people but there’s no gain from dwelling too long. You move on or get stuck.


This right here is the key.

One of my children is a pity junky and is locked into a victim mentality. Sadly, her daughter learned from her Mom's example and is well down the same path.

My other daughter is the polar opposite. Hard as nails, outgoing, cheerful and has a "shit happens, get over it" attitude. I think that outlook had a huge impact on her successful battle with breast cancer.

Some people wallow in it, some people kick it's ass and move on.




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16723 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrWho:
I just lost my Mother in law this morning. I found I can’t watch the news. I just don't see anything but bad news. And our country seems to be invaded by crazy people in politics wanting to tear down everything.


I'm very sorry for your loss.
 
Posts: 11496 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I've given up social media and pretty much all mainstream news and am much happier for it.


I get most of my 'news' from here. And will look further into anything that isn't covered beyond a headline.

And I quit, but didn't disable, FB years ago.




The Enemy's gate is down.
 
Posts: 18862 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I've given up social media and pretty much all mainstream news and am much happier for it.

This... Smile



'veritas non verba magistri'
 
Posts: 4268 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by DrWho:
I just lost my Mother in law this morning. I found I can’t watch the news. I just don't see anything but bad news. And our country seems to be invaded by crazy people in politics wanting to tear down everything.


I'm very sorry for your loss.


Thank You
 
Posts: 617 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Modern sadness and media

© SIGforum 2026