SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    (Update 3/26) Anyone Deal With Insurance after Vehicle Totaled in Hit and Run?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(Update 3/26) Anyone Deal With Insurance after Vehicle Totaled in Hit and Run? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So on Saturday wife and I just got into freeway. After passing through 65 (speed limit is 65, average speed is higher) and approaching 70, changed lanes. Established change and about five seconds later looked in rear view mirror for second lane change. Looked up to see the 2004 Jeep then wham!!

He didn't stop and sped off to the next exit. At the off ramp light the driver puts on sunglasses while putting his hand on the driver's side glass to prevent me getting a good look at his face. Then, while laughing, sticks his hand out the sunroof and flips us off, then runs the red light to leave. Wife took pics of the jeep and there's a partial of his face in the left door mirror. (Dark tint prevented his pic through rear glass.

Gotta love humanity some days.

So the questing at heart, Geico has totaled the vehicle and provided an offer about $2K lower than anything we can find online which is comparable. With that, has anyone gone through this and are the settlements [with Geico] negotiable?

To make things really great, we came home to the title in the mail as she just paid of the car

TIA

++++++++++++

UPDATE

So the CHiP did some sleuthing.

Turns out the person who hit us purchased (cash) the vehicle 13 days prior. The release of liability form submitted by the seller (with the buyer's info) contained a totally fake, but real, address. Seems the address was being moved in by a couple who just closed escrow last Monday (two days after the accident). Seller of the home had moved out the first week of March and was confirmed by neighbors.

To make it better, also on that Monday (two days after the hit and run), the car was involved in a chase by the El Cajon police for an unrelated reason. The Jeep was able to get away.

So word to the wise for those of you out there - if you're involved in a hit and run, be VERY careful about following. You never know who hit you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Everything is negotiable. Stay on them. Do you have UM/UIM coverage? Gap insurance? Were either of you injured?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7964 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Everything is negotiable. Stay on them. Do you have UM/UIM coverage? Gap insurance? Were either of you injured?

Yes to the uninsured, took a day off for injuries (at doctor). Got really really lucky as we were in a Honda Accord and the Cherokee hit (about +20 mph over our speed per CHiP estimate) so soft componets absorbed impact as crumple zone). Car was paid off, no gap ins.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Call a personal injury attorney. A good one will know how to get money from your um coverage.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7964 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
While mine wasn't totaled, I had no issues when I was involved in a hit and run. I use AAA. The work ended up costing around $6000, though. Dunno how much your car is worth.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
While mine wasn't totaled, I had no issues when I was involved in a hit and run. I use AAA. The work ended up costing around $6000, though. Dunno how much your car is worth.

Offer is 10,200. Looking online, comparable vehicles are in the $12,200 range.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

What is your deductible, and is their figure of $10,200 already figuring that in?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son had a fight with Allstate. He hired someone who specialed in dealing with the insurance company. My son was in a similar situation the were lowballing the value of the car. It took a couple months but he received over 2k more than the first insurance offer. He was in a similar situation insurance company was low compared to similar cars on the market.

If you want I can email you the contact information for person that handled the issue.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Online comps only matter if the comps are within a reasonable (market) distance, and are recent. Prices in San Diego aren’t relevant if you are in Los Angeles. A 4wd truck value in Alaska is very different than a 2wd truck. If they are unwilling to budge (normal), then ask them in writing for the comps they are using, and to include a current for sale comp that you can go buy right then. Let them know that if the comp is in fact comparable that they you would like them to explain to the seller why the price is unreasonable, and have them get the seller to accept the comp price. Or pay you the true value.

As mentioned, use your UM. That’s what it’s for. See the doc, send it through UM. Do therapy, use UM. Etc.

Although they are ‘your’ insurance company, the adjuster’s performance review is based on how much they did NOT pay out in claims.

Posts: 530 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wife took pics of the jeep
Did she get the license plate?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You should post the picture

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Wife took pics of the jeep
Did she get the license plate?

Oh yea, and a partial of his face. Registration expires in May.

Offer was pre deductible.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
You should post the picture

I'm tempted but due to certain privacy laws, I'm also reluctant.

But if you see a 2004 Jeep Cherokee, charcoal, driven by an older (40s?) White make, with front right damage, and registered in California...

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

What is your deductible, and is their figure of $10,200 already figuring that in?

I believe that insurance pays only 80% when totalling out a car.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Can you file a complaint the California state department of insurance?

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

I believe that insurance pays only 80% when totalling out a car.

Which was my first thought too but more in the manner of "everything is negotuable, this is a beginning. If they accept it, great" type approach.

posted Hide Post
and this is why you want agreed value insurance. No matter what.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
As an insurance adjuster, I will tell you that GEICO, and most other insureres, evaluate the value of your car by doing a market survey. In other words, checking the various books is one way to get your vehicle's value, but typically the insurer will find similar vehicles in your economic region that are close to yours to see what they are selling for. That is the principal way an insurer arrives at your vehicles value. You need to ask them precisely what vehicles they found upon which they based your value. If they are substantially different or aren't availabe, they should reperform their evaluation.

Most insurers won't negotiatate a total loss offer. They know they have you over a barrel. So most will stick with their offer, or change it very little. You need to ask them for their "Valuation Report" and make sure they are comparing your car to similar others. If they haven't, emphatically point it out to them. Don't be afraid to tell them that you have no compunction about reporting the dispute to the insurance commission.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm not an agent or anything insurance connected first thing.

Did the CHP identify the registered owner of the Cherokee? If so, have you or your insurance company filed any claim against their insurer if any? Seems with the damage amount and leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury might be worth pressuring the CHIPS to pursue it.

IIRC California is a license plate to vehicle state, if the registered owner claims that he/she have sold the vehicle they still may be responsible for damages even IF they "don't know who now owns it" depending on state law. It's worth a try.

Is your agent "on board" with you? Is all of your "eggs in one basket" with all your liability policies through him? May help to put a little pressure on him.

You know anybody at the DMV? Maybe a trip to an office with a copy of the police report for a trace? Seems like they might get interested if there is a insurance law violation involved. Or an attorney friend to make a formal request for records of vehicle registration with intent to file suit for damages?

Just grabbing at straws here.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8140 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2003-04 I had a similar situation. I had a very clean low mileage car. The offer was around 4K less. I went on autotrader I did a 200 mile search with same color, equipment and miles within 5k. Printed 10 ads and took it to them. Told that in order to replace my car I would need X amount. 5-6 days later they gave me pretty much what I asked for.

Posts: 1179 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post