SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any HVAC techs with a spare minute?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any HVAC techs with a spare minute? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I have an older Bryant furnace which won't stay on. Manual reset works, but it keeps shutting down in under 2 minutes.

Single red LED indicator is flashing code 33. It did flash 13 between my last two attempts at restarting, but went back to 33.

I've cleaned the air filter. Blower wheel was spinning.

Is there anything else a semi-competent Harry Homeowner should try before calling the pros?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Not a HVAC by any stretch, but I have fixed a few issues on my Lennox furnace. Google led me to this.

Bryant Code 33

My Lennox had a similar code last year. I replaced the limit switches to no avail. After much troubleshooting I traced it back to a bad circuit board. I removed the board and found a black carbon deposit where a circuit had shorted out. I replaced the board and it still didn't work. Because I wasn't a certified tech they didn't want to give me a new board. I bought another and it fixed the issue. I brought back the first board I had purchased and they refunded my money for 1 board.

The issue with mine was the blower wasn't coming on, which made the high limit switch trip. The actual high limit switch code was a red herring.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
This might help --> https://hvac-boss.com/furnace/...oubleshooting-guide/

ETA - Search term 'bryant furnace code 33' returns numerous links to HVAC Industry & DIY forums. Even those found on reddit seem to have valid/reliable troubleshooting info. Good Luck Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Do you see flames or not? Easiest thing to check is if there is a flame but it goes out, remove flame sensor and scrub with green Scotch Brite pad.

If no flame you can check to see if hot surface ignitor is lighting up.

If gas valve isn't opening you can check your inducer fan and vacuum switch.

I'm not an HVAC person, just too cheap to pay someone fix my stuff.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20818 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Do you see flames or not? Easiest thing to check is if there is a flame but it goes out, remove flame sensor and scrub with green Scotch Brite pad.

If no flame you can check to see if hot surface ignitor is lighting up.

If gas valve isn't opening you can check your inducer fan and vacuum switch.

I'm not an HVAC person, just too cheap to pay someone fix my stuff.

Sorry - yes. Flame. When I say that the manual reset process works (power off, wait, power on, flame & blower!), I meant that the flames flamed and then flamed out & blower shut down after about 2 minutes.

I'll give the flame sensor a scrub and see if that helps. Then, off to the interwebz...

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Have you turned all the power completely off and back on?

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First things first...

Model and serial ?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Have you turned all the power completely off and back on?

Yes. That’s the manual restart procedure.

-Rob

A=A

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
First things first...

Model and serial ?

Model # 383KAV048111
Serial # 0102A55294

-Rob

A=A

posted Hide Post
Bryant
Model # 383KAV048111
Serial # 0102A55294

Code 33, Limit or Flame Rollout is open.

Since it fires up, flame rollouts are not it.
Leaves you with an open high limit, as its the only other safety in the circuit.

An open limit is due to high temp.
Cause, low airflow due to one or more of the following;

• Dirty/restricted air filter.
• Blower not running (bad motor or no power to it).
• Blower not running to speed.
• Dirty/plugged blower wheel.
• Dirty/plugged evaporator coil.
• Closed or blocked registers.
• Dirty/restricted exhaust vent.
• Dirty/restricted heat exchanger.
• Inadequate ducting (wouldn't have just showed up).
• Bad/weak limit.
• Over firing.

posted Hide Post
Any update?