SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Operation Desert Storm
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Operation Desert Storm Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
E company 2/4 and I battery 3/10 , FO, attached to Tiger Brigade of Army Tanks, LOVED it , as a Marine nothing better than smoking the enemy.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
I was Airman on the Kitty Hawk working the flight deck and had a buddy on the Ranger. Can't remember anymore what rate he was. Also had a buddy on the Constellation but they were in decom at the time.

We were called the "mushroom cruise", kept in the dark and fed s#$t...... sliders...lol. I honestly have no idea what involvement "I" had in any of it but we were there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PakRatJR,

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an episode of the Fighter Pilot Podcast, with "Mongo" Mongillo discussing his shootdown of an Iraqi MIG-21.

https://www.fighterpilotpodcas..._campaign=social-pug

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
U.S. Navy in Desert Storm

https://youtu.be/ol-0TyOTttw

This message has been edited. Last edited by: navyshooter,

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Someday I’ll get copies of my dad’s photos and post some. Lots of interesting things like some type of heavy equipment hanging from 3 cables on a helicopter with the fourth broken. I am fairly certain one photo shows a grenade staged in a bunker in Kuwait.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of the better ones I have stored digitally....

Abandoned Iraqi tank

Never did find out what that C-130 was doing. Oil fields afire in the background.

This is the M3 BSV and M113A3 destroyed by a (IMHO) gung ho Aviation BN CDR who had no business running his BN from the gunner's position of an Apache. Report of the incident can be read here.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weiser09:
Here's an episode of the Fighter Pilot Podcast, with "Mongo" Mongillo discussing his shootdown of an Iraqi MIG-21.

Mongo was flight instructor in my T-2 squadron when I was in Intermediate Strike at Meridian. He was a SERGRAD (a “selectively retained graduate”) held over as a flight instructor after he got his wings. I flew with him as my instructor on numerous flights. I was pretty tickled when he got his MiG.

I remember being very disappointed that our squadron didn’t get to go to Desert Storm. We’d just come back from supporting food relief efforts in Liberia and were last on the rotation schedule. I remember seeing off good friends as they went to war and back home we worked on tactics and software changes to support deployed squadrons. One issue was CBUs opening too soon which gave poor fragmentation pattern. Another was attack tactics - we all trained to attack at 200’ for less and Desert Storm had everyone rethinking that. We all saw how the RAF Tornadoes faired early in the war.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6734 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
This is the M3 BSV and M113A3 destroyed by a (IMHO) gung ho Aviation BN CDR who had no business running his BN from the gunner's position of an Apache. Report of the incident can be read here.

I didn’t know the CO, but met him and worked with his wife on a special duty assignment at Riley before the war.

He like several others wanted their “combat” experience. I was involved in an emergent security mission when some Cobras were practicing NOE and one of them pulled up too late and crashed. Was blamed on a mysterious power loss.

We had a new reserve 2LT assigned to us who wanted to be General Patton. Total loser.

I read a book written by a Maj in the Cav and he definitely gave credit to certain officers for things they didn’t do (ref Safwan and republican guard).

Like said earlier, there was crap people doing crappy things but more so good people doing great things.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I was TAD in Monterey when the air war kicked off, my unit that I had left in June/July was deployed pretty quickly after the Kuwait Invasion. It was hard to sit in a bar and watch the news cameras. We ended up getting pulled back from TAD and sent over about 10 days before the ground war kicked off. I was in OCD-1 and helped breach the support lanes in the minefields. Speaking of friendly fire one of our vehicles was shot by a Marine M-60 tank with a sabot round. Nobody was wounded but made for some good stories for the crew.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:
Originally posted by weiser09:

Mongo was flight instructor in my T-2 squadron when I was in Intermediate Strike at Meridian. He was a SERGRAD (a “selectively retained graduate”) held over as a flight instructor after he got his wings. I flew with him as my instructor on numerous flights. I was pretty tickled when he got his MiG.

I remember being very disappointed that our squadron didn’t get to go to Desert Storm. We’d just come back from supporting food relief efforts in Liberia and were last on the rotation schedule. I remember seeing off good friends as they went to war and back home we worked on tactics and software changes to support deployed squadrons. One issue was CBUs opening too soon which gave poor fragmentation pattern. Another was attack tactics - we all trained to attack at 200’ for less and Desert Storm had everyone rethinking that. We all saw how the RAF Tornadoes faired early in the war.

operation sharp edge??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

I didn’t know the CO, but met him and worked with his wife on a special duty assignment at Riley before the war.

He like several others wanted their “combat” experience. I was involved in an emergent security mission when some Cobras were practicing NOE and one of them pulled up too late and crashed. Was blamed on a mysterious power loss.

We had a new reserve 2LT assigned to us who wanted to be General Patton. Total loser.

I read a book written by a Maj in the Cav and he definitely gave credit to certain officers for things they didn’t do (ref Safwan and republican guard).

Like said earlier, there was crap people doing crappy things but more so good people doing great things.

IIRC he did the right thing for all the wrong reasons. 1 ID policy was BDE CDRs were not to expose themselves and engage enemy forces directly unless there was no other choice. The particular mission where the blue on blue took place was a night\low visability mission, and the BN CDR 'volunteered' himself because he didn't want to order someon else to fly it.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post