SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going To The Arizona Memorial On Friday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going To The Arizona Memorial On Friday Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Our tour took us to the Arizona and Missouri. I am a big history buff and it was most interesting and moving.

We all enjoyed the warm weather and beautiful scenery.

There is a 1911 on display that was found after the bombing. The grips and most of the finish is gone. It must have been in a fire.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
We took the family there in early 1992, a few weeks after the 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, most of the anniversary displays were still intact. Quite a humbling experience. I still have a flag I bought there that was flown over the Arizona Memorial (don't know if they still do that). Twenty years later my then 8 yr old grandson called to ask me "what's the connection between Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima"?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
We took the family there in early 1992, a few weeks after the 50th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, most of the anniversary displays were still intact. Quite a humbling experience. I still have a flag I bought there that was flown over the Arizona Memorial (don't know if they still do that). Twenty years later my then 8 yr old grandson called to ask me "what's the connection between Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima"?
I presume you told him that the Japs started WWII with us at Pearl Harbor and we ended it in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
To @PghPI’s comment re: the docking issue, we also encountered that on our tour in 2018. They motored us out on a launch and got as close to the site as they could. All still very somber, very moving.

Should we return to O’ahu, we will opt for a whole day for the various tours, etc., at Pearl Harbor.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We will be there for the July 4th holiday this year. Looking forward to that in a big way.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I presume you told him that the Japs started WWII with us at Pearl Harbor and we ended it in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

flashguy

I did, with a little extra. My father served in the US Navy toward the end of WWII, ended up in the Japanese Occupational Forces. He had one assignment that took him to Hiroshima, never once talked of it. But we found some pics in his parents storage chest in the basement, with him on a hill and the remains of Hiroshima in the background. Very sobering.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post