SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plumbing question: Washing machine drain plugged
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbing question: Washing machine drain plugged Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
As the title says, the drain pipe for my washing machine plugged up the other day.

I've tried putting a snake down there and while I'm having difficulty getting it through and past the P-trap, I was able to snag a little of the obstruction. It basically looks like caked up lint and dog hair.

Following that, I tried running a tub or two worth of water through it and it seems like it works OK, but I can't imagine what little I got out is what was blocking the pipe. So, I'm thinking that there is more down there that is only going to plug up again probably at the most inopportune time.

On the other hand, perhaps while futzing around down there I broke loose whatever was plugging things up and now it's fine. Confused

Frankly, I don't trust it and am wondering if there is something else I should do/try. Maybe try to run a fishtape down there? Pour some type of drain cleaner down there? Cut the pipe and do it right, then glue a coupler on there to put it back together (I'd rather not tackle this). I do have a long endoscope, but it's not steerable so I'm not able to get it past the trap.

I don't have a plumber available as he's off hunting for the next two weeks.

Suggestions?

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've used this before to clear a clog. It swells and seals to the side of the pipe then puts your full water pressure against the clog.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I did buy one of those too, but was a little nervous about using it after reading up on them. I'd hate to have it blow out and further complicate the clog. Maybe I'll try it and just take it slow.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
As the title says, the drain pipe for my washing machine plugged up the other day.

I've tried putting a snake down there and while I'm having difficulty getting it through and past the P-trap, I was able to snag a little of the obstruction. It basically looks like caked up lint and dog hair.

Following that, I tried running a tub or two worth of water through it and it seems like it works OK, but I can't imagine what little I got out is what was blocking the pipe. So, I'm thinking that there is more down there that is only going to plug up again probably at the most inopportune time.

On the other hand, perhaps while futzing around down there I broke loose whatever was plugging things up and now it's fine. Confused

Frankly, I don't trust it and am wondering if there is something else I should do/try. Maybe try to run a fishtape down there? Pour some type of drain cleaner down there? Cut the pipe and do it right, then glue a coupler on there to put it back together (I'd rather not tackle this). I do have a long endoscope, but it's not steerable so I'm not able to get it past the trap.

I don't have a plumber available as he's off hunting for the next two weeks.

Suggestions?
after much fooling around with snakes, I have had success clearing clogged drains with compressed air. There is a product, meant to attach to a garden hose, that has an inflatable bladder that seals against the walls of the pipe to allow a buildup of pressure on the far side. Link. I rigged this to an air compressor and use it without water (the first time I tried it with a garden hose was a major mess, it slipped out of the drain and started spraying water everywhere). Usually, I get it in place in the drain nipple, then get on the roof to block the vent pipe with my hand, almost always it clears the clog within seconds, you can tell by the pressure difference against your hand. Do not attempt to apply pressure from the vent pipe, you will have nasty sewer water all over your floor. This might work better if you have a helper to go up on the roof. Of course, you don't need to block the vent if the clog is before the Y pipe (but for these, the snake is usually sufficient).

I have considered substituting a pipe cap, threaded for an air quick connect instead of the bladder to hold the pressure/contain any spillage, but have been too lazy to accomplish it. Seems like it might be a little easier to construct if starting from scratch. Of course, this approach fails if you have a PVC nipple.

If you feel more comfortable with a snake, something like this is far superior to a naked cable, even when twisted by a drill.

Don't use Drano or another chemical, as doing so precludes mechanical options due to possibility of splash back.

Posts: 6466 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I did buy one of those too, but was a little nervous about using it after reading up on them. I'd hate to have it blow out and further complicate the clog. Maybe I'll try it and just take it slow.

I understand the apprehension. I think I would only use this if you had several feet of pipe before the clog that you could fish this device down into. I wouldn't want to use it right at the washer drain opening as it might get a bit messy.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the drain pipe also drain the kitchen sink? That turned out to be the culprit in backing up the washing machine drain. I would not use drain cleaner in the pipe.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I had a sideloader washing machine that wasn't draining.

I found out it was plugged on the inside with small pieces of clothing. We had young women visiting and staying with us at the time.

The stuff somehow got outside of the drum and plugged the hole.

So are you certain the clog is in the pipes and not in your machine?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The garden hose bladder thingy only works if the pipe is completely clogged. If it is passing any water, it won't build any pressure to clear the obstruction.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had a washer drain problem that the plumber could not fix. He came out a total of 5 times and snaked the drain again and again.

Finally, after I talked to a friend, I asked him to get on the roof and snake the exhaust thing. He didn't want to, said it would make no difference.

I kept after him insisting he get on the roof and snake it. I had a very simple and low roof, nothing high sloped or complicated or especially risky, single story ranch style house. He finally said he just didn't like to get on roofs, was afraid of heights.

He finally did, and that fixed my problem immediately and completely.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
So are you certain the clog is in the pipes and not in your machine?

Yep, it's definitely in the pipe. Water is coming through the drain hose just fine.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What is the distance from the pipe opening where the washer hose inserts and the P-trap?

You may be able to use a borescope. Either stand alone or one that connects to your phone for under $50.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have an endoscope that would be long enough, but I can't get it through trap. It's semi-rigid (bendable) and not steerable. Trap is just below the floor, so...four feet or so.

posted Hide Post
An endoscope is a pretty expensive snake.LOL

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Last week I learned there is a strainer cage/filter on our front load washer. Got a code on our menu screen indicating the machine couldn't drain. It shut down mid cycle. Searched the code and the results mentioned the strainer might be full. Sure enough it was packed with whatever gunk comes off of clothes in the wash. Cleaned that out and whaddayaknow!, the washer can drain again.

Maybe yours has a clogged strainer too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Washer standpipe drains rarely clog. They are 2" by code and very little to no solids made it into the wastewater. A poorly reamed PVC drain component will catch some lint but the water should still make it through.

Any handheld snake should sail through a 2" p-trap [u-bend + street elle]. My theory is a washer discharge hose extension, like a 6" piece of pipe fitted onto the end of a washer discharge hose, became detached and dropped into the standpipe.

IF it is an old cast drain, extended behind the stack rearward to maximum by code, it's likely closed up by scale all the way to the wye. Especially the throat of the wye.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
2" PVC, and it does not appear that anything dropped down. I can see down to the water in the trap with my scope and it's unobstructed.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
A few years ago I had a washer drain problem that the plumber could not fix. He came out a total of 5 times and snaked the drain again and again.

Finally, after I talked to a friend, I asked him to get on the roof and snake the exhaust thing. He didn't want to, said it would make no difference.

I kept after him insisting he get on the roof and snake it. I had a very simple and low roof, nothing high sloped or complicated or especially risky, single story ranch style house. He finally said he just didn't like to get on roofs, was afraid of heights.

He finally did, and that fixed my problem immediately and completely.

This how I fix my daughter's washer drain problem. Was able to use the snake down from the roof drain vent to the clog bypassing the p-trap.

Also can use the roof drain vent to use the flexible scope to see the clog. Sometimes the vent can get clog by birds nesting or bee hives that will block the vent and prevent the drain from working.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Blow out or vacuum out the trap and take another look.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^ All of above except you don't need an endoscope.
Keep running a rotary snake line down until you feel it is clear.
Then pump some drain cleaner or if you have time some of the enzyme bio cleaners (they work but take time).
Pressure to push out can help too.

I recently had a bathroom drain where the wife uses clog up.
It would drain some but very very slow.
Through down lots of standard cleaners.
Ran a snake line down to the limit of the snake which was 25' I think.
Still a very slow drain.
Then used the Enzyme cleaner a friend gave me daily over the course of a week.
Ran another snake.
Then a traditional cleaner.
Waited then Hot water.
Finally it was clear.
Not sure which step worked the best but it was way cheaper than calling a plumber.
You jut have to be persistent and use the combination of chemical and physical force.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this same issue on a brand new house. 6-7 months in the washer quit draining. Ran my snake as far as it would go and nothing. Go under the house and cut the line and run the snake backwards, still nothing. Call a plumber out and he comes out with his powered snake and I’m watching from under the house where I cut the line. I never see anything come through except the snake but the line drained after he did this. Makes no sense to me but after he ran the snake, problem solved.

Posts: 189 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post