SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Security / Surveillance Camera
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security / Surveillance Camera Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
We have had several threads for recommendations for security / surveillance camera systems, most of them for good quality systems for the home.

I'm looking for something just a bit different. I would like to find a (very) low cost camera that I can mount someplace in the hangar. I have a WiFi network there.

The hangar is normally closed and locked most of the time, so there is generally nothing going on.

I'm looking for the lowest cost single camera that will send me an alert when motion is detected, and let me view what's going on. An iOS app for iPhone / iPad would be good, or I suppose that I could use a browser to look when I receive an alert.

Alert via text (SMS, MMS, or iMessage) or email would be fine.

Not looking to spend big bucks on this, I just want to know who's in the hangar when I'm not there.

Ability to save video or low cost (or free!) cloud storage would be nice but probably not necessary if there is significant cost. Maybe a storage card on board the camera, recording when there is an "event" would be all I need.

Low cost is a primary objective.

What do y'all recommend?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have a few of these in our office, good quality video with alerts.

Blink

There's also the Ring cameras, but with your past Ring experiences, may not be the best option.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
We have a few of these in our office, good quality video with alerts.

Blink

There's also the Ring cameras, but with your past Ring experiences, may not be the best option.
Thanks. Looks like that might do the job. Ring cameras are overkill for what I need here, and more $$$ than I want to spend for this, in addition to the functional problems.

These are battery-powered. You say that you use them. What is your experience re battery life?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We've only had them a few months & the batteries still show a status of 'ok', checked a few minutes ago.

They're technically indoor rated, not sure on the 'weather' in your hangar & how that would affect performance or battery life.

Also not sure if they are mobile app controlled only, or if there is a desktop app as well. They were put in by a coworker while I was on vacation.

Posts: 16015 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Foscam pan/tilt cameras with IR illuminaters. Got three of them that I use as a makeshift home alarm system. Set them for motion and they send a series of 4 or 5 stills when movement is detected. Pull up the app to view live feed. They run off AC adapter.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1916 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Talked to my coworker.
Blink cameras are android/ios only, no desktop app.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I got two of these for 50 bucks each at Micro Center for my children's rooms and they work great.

-720p HD Imaging - HD resolution provides sharper, clearer images
-Night Vision - Automatic night vision functionality supports 24-hour surveillance
-H.264 Compression - Ensure smooth HD video streaming while consuming less bandwidth
-tpCamera App - Use the tpCamera app to access feeds from anywhere, at any time
-Motion & Sound Detection - Immediate email notifications whenever motion or sound is detected
-Easy Setup - Install and operate the camera in minutes
-150Mbps Wireless - 150Mbps wireless for stable connectivity and Wi-Fi extension

TP-Link HD Day/Night Wi-Fi Cloud Camera TL-NC230

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WyzeCam v2 $26 shipped and a 32GB MicroSD card.

App alerts pushed with clips, and local storage on the MicroSD. 1080P video, night vision, sound or motion alerts, can view and listen live.

In a big hangar you’ll probably need separate IR lighting. Keep the IR source out of view of your camera(s) or you’ll get shitty images.

Posts: 559 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used X10's cameras lately?
I'm curious....

God bless America.

Posts: 13913 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post