SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Zanotti Armor or other modular safe opinions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zanotti Armor or other modular safe opinions? Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted
My son lives in NYC and needs a safe. He plans on retiring and moving in a couple years so I suggested modulars and Zanotti in particular since I’ve heard a lot of good things about them despite having no personal experience whatsoever with modulars. I’m hoping the SigForum brain trust will come through once again with any input that will be helpful in deciding. They’re not inexpensive but if they’re worth it I’m going to buy it for him so his wife won’t think they should save money by getting something cheap. She can’t question a gift.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have a Zanotti. When I was on active duty, I moved around quite a bit and the Zanotti came in really handy. Their craftsmanship is top notch.

However, be aware that they have a wait and last I saw, they only accept checks. Their prices are plus shipping. You can have them set the combo at the factory, they offer a dial or electronic with key.

I would definitely get a larger safe that what you think he needs or else he will end up buying another one.

Posts: 13119 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a Zanotti safe & like it. Once assembled it’s like most any other safe, hard to tell it’s modular.

Yes, they cost more, there’s likely a waiting list mentioned.

Another option may be to get a less expensive safe, no waiting, then plan on selling it locally if a move occurs. That may depend on how big one wanted. If a more modest collection, then the anticipated move, a behemoth may not be needed.

Most know a safe is to prevent unauthorized access anyway, with know how, tools, & time, one can get in.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I have a Zanotti. USA [very well] made. Buy once, cry once.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a modular Dakota Safe about 15 years and it serves its purpose well.

It was delivered to my door in three or four boxes, relatively easy to put together (using bolts) and fit and finish is very good.

At the time an ‘expansion’ kit was available to make it about 25% larger if you eventually needed more space.

I also looked at Zanotti but they were much more expensive, but their ‘latch assembly’ system made it easier to assemble.

If I needed a ‘real’ safe to store irreplaceable and/or very expensive firearms I would have gone another route.

Good luck with your choice.

Rob

Posts: 3481 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
For a decent "storage locker" that can be disassembled and is a step up from from the old sheet metal Stack-On boxes, I've purchased from:

https://www.snapsafe.com/
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/

SecureIt has the better interior layout and accessories options. They're lighter and more of a "weapons locker."
SnapSafe is more of a traditional safe.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I know one person who has one. I helped him hump up 2 flights of stairs and assemble it at the far end of a long closet. We used a hand truck to drag the parts up the stairs. Moving and installing the door was the hardest part because it's heavy and bulky.

Once assembled it seems every bit as sturdy as my lower end Ft Knox.

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Another very satisfied Zanotti Armor customer. The wait will be worth it. Remodeling soon, and even though the door is a 2 man job, the rest of it I can do myself.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the biggest Zanotti. My buddy almost lost a finger the first time we assembled. Once past that speed bump I can literally assemble it with the help of my kid. The learning curve is steep and then easy.

I would buy it again. In my current house I don’t need modular but in the last 2 houses it was golden.

Very good quality.

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I started wondering whether the 5 foot Z2 would be enough or would the 6 foot version be better. Now I’m thinking about the bigger is better rule of safes and if the Z3 is best the way to go, in either 5 or 6 foot height, and cry once so to speak. Also need to decide on the layout I guess. Anyone have any thought on what’s the most useful one?

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I went with the Z2 5ft. It’s perfect balance between not too small (Z1) and not being too large in case you ever have to move it. Very satisfied. Inside pick your config. I did the shelves on the left, rifles on the right. And get the pistol pockets for the door. All my pistols are in those on the door. I’ve had the safe for 8 years or so and those pockets haven’t moved. I did the carpeted door, walls etc. I didn’t do their humidifier. I have the plug in to recharge dehumidifiers I use from Eva-Dry. And some LED lights that I bought from Costco.

People talk about it, but you won’t really fully understand the quality until you assemble it. It’s the best modular safe there is to me. Being able to move it yourself in the event of a move or a remodel, no words. One of my best purchases ever.

BTW, 210, I’ll be there in Feb. Will be there for a week, then Kauai for 5 days, then 2 more on Maui if you want to grab a cold one.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I went with the Z2 5ft. It’s perfect balance between not too small (Z1) and not being too large in case you ever have to move it. Very satisfied. Inside pick your config. I did the shelves on the left, rifles on the right. And get the pistol pockets for the door. All my pistols are in those on the door. I’ve had the safe for 8 years or so and those pockets haven’t moved. I did the carpeted door, walls etc. I didn’t do their humidifier. I have the plug in to recharge dehumidifiers I use from Eva-Dry. And some LED lights that I bought from Costco.

People talk about it, but you won’t really fully understand the quality until you assemble it. It’s the best modular safe there is to me. Being able to move it yourself in the event of a move or a remodel, no words. One of my best purchases ever.

BTW, 210, I’ll be there in Feb. Will be there for a week, then Kauai for 5 days, then 2 more on Maui if you want to grab a cold one.

Good info. He’s going to measure where he wants to put it to see what width/depth it can accommodate but it’s good to hear you find the Z2 size is adequate if that’s what will fit there. I’d like to get this ordered asap since they’re saying the wait is 10 weeks currently.

We may have to grab more than one cold one when you’re out here. Also, I should tell you, Beach Bums at Ma’alaea harbor just closed in case it was one of your favorites as well.

posted Hide Post
I have the 5 foot Z3. I have had it for perhaps 10 years. I love it.

Anyone that could get into this safe unauthorized could get into any other safe of similar price.

The only drawback I can think of is it has very little protection against fire. But my Zanotti is large enough that I can fit a small fireproof safe inside it, which is where I keep important papers and other things that would perish in a fire.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I don’t overthink the ‘fire protection’. If not way back in the sticks, should be caught before a pile of ashes. If that were to happen, a fire safe may not be enough.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have a Snapsnafe and have been happy with it. Its pretty sturdy. Probably not as good as a Zanotti, but its far better than the big box security container I had before.

Edit- Holy shit the prices have gone up. My double door is listed at about $3000 now. I barely paid over a grand for it if I remember right...

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Edit- Holy shit the prices have gone up

I'm seeing monthly increases from one of my suppliers that used to only adjust prices once a year. Talking to a friend in the business the other day, and he was informed that one of his lines is projecting a 50% increase at the first of the year.

This has caused some of the same market weirdness that the car industry has seen. All of a sudden used safes are worth what new safes would have sold for a year ago, and new safes are often unobtanium.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15721 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What you're saying it's a good time to sell a used safe? LOL.

Posts: 13119 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the 6 foot Z2 Zannoti for years. It’s full, so I wouldn’t want it any smaller. Did manage to hang the door by myself, but I wouldn’t want to try that with the Z3.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Ordered the 5’ Z3. They said 8-10 weeks.

posted Hide Post
Mines the 6 foot Z3. You ain’t hanging that door by yourself. My recipe now is using those moving man straps (wide orange cargo straps like you use for appliances) between me and son. Then the wife merely guides the 3 pins into their respective holes. Easy like Sunday morning. If it was me by myself I would own a safe with the door leaning against a nearby wall. Lol

Posts: 7508 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post