SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Used car purchase...best practice. Advice needed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used car purchase...best practice. Advice needed. Login/Join 
posted
Looking to buy a used car. Current “owner” owes $6000 to his bank. How would we go about paying off his bank note and securing the title? If we(I) pay off the note, the title would still be sent to the current “owner” via his credit union, correct? I don’t want to pay off this guy’s car and then not get the car...
Never done a used car purchase in this scenario. Looking for suggestions on how to not get hosed!

Thanks,
CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Go to your bank and ask them how to do it in your state. Too many variables based on state laws.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm an attorney, but more than likely am not licensed in your state, so don't take this as legal advice. Go to his bank with him and close it there with one of their bankers, just like buying a house. You give money to his bank and get a Bill of Sale from him. Bank will release the Lien on the car or if you are in a state where the bank has the title, they will send it to you. Do not do anything that doesn't involve his bank.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Do you know the person? If not I would be very leery. They need to pay it off and get a clear title.
Outside of that I agree with mcrimm.
Be very careful.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know him. And I’m VERY leery. This is why I came here, looking for advice. Thinking of calling HIS credit union to see what their M.O. is for this situation. Certainly not trying to get burned in this deal. First time buying a used car under this scenario.

Thanks,
CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch that deal with a 10 foot pole. I know of two coworkers over the years that lost their money over this type of deal with cars. No clean title walk away.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
I wouldn't touch that deal with a 10 foot pole. I know of two coworkers over the years that lost their money over this type of deal with cars. No clean title walk away.
And that is why you contact his C.U. to see how it can be done safely .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both parties need to go to the lender's office together.

The buyer pays off the loan, the lender issues a discharge of lien, and the seller signs off on the title. The buyer can then go to the DMV and complete the title transfer.

I've done it this way several times and never had an issue.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with 64Dodge. There has to be a legal and safe way to do this because a lot of people have liens on their titles. Just don't meet him on a street corner and hand him the check. I've never had a lien on one of my vehicles but most people do and I've certainly bought cars from people who had a lien.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I'm an attorney, but more than likely am not licensed in your state, so don't take this as legal advice. Go to his bank with him and close it there with one of their bankers, just like buying a house. You give money to his bank and get a Bill of Sale from him. Bank will release the Lien on the car or if you are in a state where the bank has the title, they will send it to you. Do not do anything that doesn't involve his bank.

^^
This works fine. You meet at the bank, pay him and the bank, get a notarized bill of sale, talk to the banker to be sure the title comes to you and drive away from the bank with car when you pay.
Additional steps you might do are do a search for his name and phone number. Look at tax records for his home address to see if taxes are paid and anything else.
Not perfect but should give you an idea of who you're dealing with.
If you've been to his house and met him does he seem straight up or give you the creeps?

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never done a deal like this, but every title I do have has a section for the "owner" and any lien holders to sign off. If the credit union holds the physical paper title to the vehicle, you should be able to pay for the car and have the titled owner and lien holders sign off the title and give it to you. You then transfer it through the DMV like any other title transfer.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
Both parties need to go to the lender's office together.

The buyer pays off the loan, the lender issues a discharge of lien, and the seller signs off on the title. The buyer can then go to the DMV and complete the title transfer.

I've done it this way several times and never had an issue.

this

under no circumstance do you give the guy the money without getting the title right then and there...

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The credit union with the lien is the key. I've bought one in this scenario. Met the seller at his credit union. Took all of 15 minutes. Also gives the seller piece of mind if you are paying with cash that the money is real.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I’ve gone to the bank with the seller multiple times. No problems.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Called and talked to a rep from HIS credit union. They made me feel confident in the process. If the car passes my second inspection, I’ll meet him at his credit union, use their notary and feel comfortable with the process. Thanks for the ideas.