SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Side Window Rain Deflectors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side Window Rain Deflectors Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Summers here in the Florida peninsula tend to be just a bit on the warm side, so it's nice to be able to leave the car windows open just a bit when the car is parked.

Summer also brings heavy rains, so deflectors on the slightly open windows keep the rain out of the parked car.

My wife had WeatherTech deflectors on her previous car. I looked for them for her current car, a 2019 RAV4; the WeatherTech website had a description of these for the 2019 RAV4, but when I tried to order, a pop-up window stated that this product is not available for the 2019 RAV4.

Google is yore fren' and a quick search shows two Goodyear products that look almost identical except for the attachment method. There is a choice of either in-channel, or tape.

I have no idea which type of mounting is preferable. Can anybody shed some light on this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Weather Tech in channel style. Satisfaction over last 4 rigs, 15+ years use.
Had some other stick on type years ago. Didn't satisfy my
performance expectations.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always preferred the in-channel visors for the aesthetics alone. If your vehicle has chrome trim around the windows it looks ridiculous to slap on black window visor and break up the trim.

I hear of some people having issues with power windows not rolling up properly with the in-channel visors.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have no idea which type of mounting is preferable. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Got a set of Weather Tech front and rear for my daughter's VW Golf. Fronts mount in channel, rears mount with double sided tape. The only ones still on the car are the in channel. Need to pick up some stronger double sided tape and give the rears another go, but the car was new when I put them on and I followed the instructions explicitly. My recommendation based solely on my sample of 1 is get the in channel ones.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Had externals on a Cherokee years ago and they worked well in any weather for letting air in without moisture. I like the 3-M outside tape mounted variety- the biggest downside is when they need to be replaced, the old residue can be a pain to remove.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have used both in channel Weathertech and no name stick on. WT is definitely high quality and they have great customer service and warranty. Years ago I had a Hyundai Tucson which I had rain guards for. The rears started coming loose from the tape wearing out. I emailed WT and sent them pictures and they sent me a new rear set.

On my old Honda Civic I had the stick on type. No issues in over 4 years with them on. Before that I had WT in channel guards and the windows didn’t want to close properly. Air leaks and awful wind noise.

I’m convinced the in channel will wear out window motors quicker than expected.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have in channel on an odyssey and stick ons on my F250. Both function well. The in channel are a little better looking but the sticks ons are a dark tint on a black truck so I don’t think they look bad either.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Much prefer the in channel type over taped on.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I miss my old truck with factory rain gutters as part of the body. I wish they still made them that way.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are AutoVentShade stick ons. The key to installing them is getting the mounting surface clean and then ensure that the tape is making full contact to the surface. Go slow. Mine are not so much for ventilation purposes, but to keep rain from dribbling inside the car if I have to open a window when its raining.
I miss rain gutters on cars / trucks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Have always liked the channel ones. Never tried stick ones.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had both in and out, and in channel look better, and make it through the car wash better, but I get a hard plastic "click" rolling up the windows when the glass hits the vent.

I have mine on a 2012 Silverado now, and I find that they do increase the obstruction of your A-pillar view, sometimes significantly depending on lighting.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

WT is definitely high quality and they have great customer service and warranty.
WeatherTech is the first place I looked. See my original post, the one that started this thread.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Mine are AutoVentShade stick ons.
+1. Put them on my truck a little over 5 years ago. It has 3M 2-sided tape and it's been flawless so far.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've got both types on several vehicles - doesn't matter.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
In channel fan for many years. It also gives a cleaner look.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I just took off a set of Auto Vent Shade stick-ons that came on my new-to-me 2018 F-150. No issues with the tape other than it was a pain to remove. I still need to take some Scratch-X to a few spots to get the last little bits of faint adhesive off. Otherwise they appeared to have held up very well over the years, just not my cup of tea.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I removed a set from my Tundra when I bought it. They made by Putco, were in-channel, but used double sided tape to stay in place. Is that typical?

These days power windows are equipped with obstruction sensors, and reverse or stop window closing when they sense resistance like a stray body part in the way. Seems like if the sensor isn't being triggered, the rain guards aren't creating much resistance, so damage to the motor or window regulator isn't likely.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
I just took off a set of Auto Vent Shade stick-ons that came on my new-to-me 2018 F-150. No issues with the tape other than it was a pain to remove. I still need to take some Scratch-X to a few spots to get the last little bits of faint adhesive off. Otherwise they appeared to have held up very well over the years, just not my cup of tea.
Use goo b gone or goof off to get rid of the adhesive.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post