SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NHL Trans League Controversy After Trans Male Gives Trans Female a Concussion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHL Trans League Controversy After Trans Male Gives Trans Female a Concussion Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
NY Post.com: Video shows transgender male hockey player taken down by larger rival

Shocking footage has emerged from an NHL-backed hockey tournament of a transgender female player hitting a much smaller transgender male opponent, who suffered a concussion after hitting the boards head-first.

Daniel “Danny” Maki, a transgender man from Minneapolis who plays for the Rainbow Dash, suffered the injury during the Team Trans Ice Hockey Draft, in Middleton, Wisconsin, the Daily Mail reported.

In the clip from the event last month, Maki is seen entering the ice and being bumped by the other player, who then stops to check on him as other players also rush to his side.

“The contact doesn’t look serious on video. But the size diff between players is so great that the female suffers a concussion,” Twitter user Jean Mazeks wrote.

Maki was taken to a local hospital, where he was diagnosed with a concussion.

It was unclear if the incident was an accident.

In an article in the online new magazine Quillette, author Jonathan Kay wrote that he didn’t notice any transgender women deliberately targeting transgender men when he viewed videos from the event — but noted that there were size discrepancies that could pose a danger to some of the players.

“I don’t know how the teams were made,” a rink-side source told Kay. “But any [fan] could see that this couldn’t possibly be fair, and that someone could get hurt — and someone did.”

In his piece, Kay noted the risk of injuries in competitive hockey among biological women, citing research that they have “significantly less isometric strength (49%), neck girth (30%), and head mass (43%), resulting in lower levels of head-neck segment stiffness (29%).” 

Maki, who has since recovered, later posted a statement that appeared to downplay what had happened on the ice.

“I’ve been debating if I should post everything about the @teamtransicehockey draft tournament, given the sensitive content, but here goes,” he wrote on social media.

“I Had an amazing time with the wonderful people at the exclusive all trans draft tournament in Middleton, WI the weekend before Thanksgiving,” the player wrote, adding that he was co-captain of his team.

But he then goes on to say that “this is where the sensitive content comes: once out I was playing the puck, and I took a very odd fall into the boards, in which I needed medical attention to make sure my neck and extremities were okay,” Maki added.

He said he suffered a concussion and muscle strains, but insisted he’d “do it all over again.”

Notably, he made no mention of being knocked into by the larger opponent.

Maki’s teammate Mason LeFebvre, his team’s goalie and the tournament’s liaison with the NHL, was reportedly upset by the injury and was seen collapsing in a corner.

After regaining his composure, the coach of another team stepped onto the ice and delivered a pep talk that included slogans such as, “We’re not defeatist,” “We’re not done yet” and “The score doesn’t determine your value,” according to Quillette.
The NHL said in a tweet about the event that it was “proud to support this past weekend’s Team Trans Draft Tournament in Middleton, Wisconsin. This was the first tournament comprised entirely of transgender and nonbinary players, with around 80 folks participating.” 

The post drew a flood of disparate comments.

“If trans men are men why aren’t they just playing in a men’s league?” one user wrote.

“Congratulations, you just pulled the Woke Walt Disney for all your Sport! Watch the NHL crumble like a stale cookie. Go woke, Go broke!” another said.

“What a great idea! All sports should have separate trans/NB teams so trans and NB athletes feel safe and comfortable. Schools will have to build new locker rooms but it’s worth it,” a user with an opposing viewpoint countered.

“I’m all for this as I don’t want biological men playing in women’s divisions,” another person added.

The incident is the latest involving transgender athletes to make waves since transgender University of Pennsylvania swimmer Lia Thomas began competing as a woman after transitioning.

Critics have claimed that competing in the NCAA women’s division gave her an unfair advantage because she was biologically born a male.

Thomas won the 500-yard freestyle at the 2022 NCAA Women’s Division I Swimming and Diving Championships earlier this year.
ROSAL

Tim's issue: Pronouns.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Give me a break. That was a tap and nothing more. The damage occurred because of head meeting wall.

I've seen much worse when as a kid we'd play hockey on a homemade rink in front of our housing development in Alaska.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The title of this thread encapsulates my confusion about this topic.

My confusion is this: did a biological male hurt a biological female (as I assume)? If so, that’s news—how? Or was it a “man bites dog” event in which a biological female hurt a biological male? I was under the impression that “trans” referred to what one transformed do: i.e., a “trans female” was someone who had been transformed to a female, not one who started that way—no?

And I could only glance at the article, so my other question was why were they playing a sport like hockey together? If only one was a “trans” I could understand that, but it would be like an all (real) male team playing an all (real) female team; is that common?

Or to summarize, “Never have so few managed to compel the attention of so many for such a paltry reason.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was unclear if the incident was an accident.

Any man willing to play with females, trans or not, should take serious heed of this sentence. If you play a physical sport with anyone but other men and one gets hurt, there will be people who think it may have been on purpose.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m confused.

P229

Posts: 3832 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I’m confused.

Trans woman = was/is a male
Trans man = was/is a female

Whenever you see the "trans" term and a gender think the opposite.

Yes, it all hurts my head along with all the pronoun nonsense.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It's a tough game and if you're afraid of getting hurt stay off the ice.

To the NHL that I followed and loved for so long, I saw Bettman the other day saying he wants more black and female players in the next 5 years. I don't need hockey anymore than I need football.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ridiculously written article. Total incoherence.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Trans woman = was/is a male
Trans man = was/is a female

Whenever you see the "trans" term and a gender think the opposite.

So the thread title is wrong after all. It should say (for those fascinated by all this) it was a trans female who gave a trans male a concussion. Thanks, but let this be a warning to me about this nonsense.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I’m confused.

So are they/them.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Para,

I couldn’t have said it better. Everything about this had me slack jawed trying to parse it. I think my brain literally rebooted itself.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my scariest times as a parent were when my son was down on the ice after a hit.

I was lucky nothing really bad happened to my son.

I saw kids taken out on stretchers.

I used to stopped breathing until my son got up after a really hard hit.

It's HOCKEY. it looked like a clean hit.

Google Travis Roy, he hit the boards like that and was crippled for life in the first 11 seconds of his first game for BU.
He was a hockey star headed for great things.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Okay, now that I've got the trans BS figured out, can somebody please explain to me what a 'non-binary' person is. Good Lord!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Those people generally work on a hexidecimal system. Simple really. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
These are people who voluntarily chose this activity. No sympathy and I don't care.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I didn't read the article or watch the long video I just watched the hit.

I played hockey for over 20 years. That play looked like the contact you will see many times during a game. Did the guy/girl intentionally make contact with the other player, I don't know but intentional or not that stuff happens all the time.

If it was intentional it was a very soft hit. Sucks that someone got hurt but I didn't see anything really bad.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Classic. He didn't even hit her and she broke. Congratulations to everyone involved. True heros.

Next up, women in the heavyweight boxing division vs dudes pretending to be women.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6972 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Circus act. What is next blind midgets on ice? Why is this even a story??

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Why is this a story? Because hockey is still a predominantly white male sport, the loonies who want to destroy our culture will hack here first, absent the blowback for attacking the NBA or NFL that has begun to accept woke and take social positions. Hockey is still white guys who play on the ice, no cries about race or gender issues when they’re attacked by the progressive and woke. However despite the efforts to change hockey, one thing can’t be changed it’s a really rough sport and the potential for serious hurt is really there, despite pronouns or wearing the opposite genders clothes.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post